Introducing Vokyl & The Erupt Headset
Aug 17, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #212 of 403
I got the Erupt yesterday. It was clearly rushed out the door as it has scratches/marks in several places and shoddy work on the elastic bands. The bands over the head strap aren’t properly seated either. I wish Vokyl didn't give into impatient and whining backers and took more time building the headsets and getting the finish right.
The cups and yokes feel like they got heft and sturdiness to them, though. They feel extremely solid.
The cables and the neck of the mic feel and look very cheap. The cables are very… springy and just want to tangle themselves. For reference, they’re several steps down from the DT990 and HD650 cables.
I’ve given the Erupt only a few hours of listening time, so I won’t comment on the sound.
A1.png
A2.png
20190816_150520.png
A6.png
A3.png
A4.png
A5.png

Attachments

• A4.png
    A4.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A5.png
    A5.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A6.png
    A6.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 17, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #213 of 403
I got the Erupt yesterday. It was clearly rushed out the door as it has scratches/marks in several places and shoddy work on the elastic bands. The bands over the head strap aren’t properly seated either. I wish Vokyl didn't give into impatient and whining backers and took more time building the headsets and getting the finish right.
The cups and yokes feel like they got heft and sturdiness to them, though. They feel extremely solid.
The cables and the neck of the mic feel and look very cheap. The cables are very… springy and just want to tangle themselves. For reference, they’re several steps down from the DT990 and HD650 cables.
I’ve given the Erupt only a few hours of listening time, so I won’t comment on the sound.

That's disconcerting...

Aug 17, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #214 of 403
Wow. Sorry - you definitely need to complain to them, keep posting here and on their campaign page. I hope they send you a new pair, AND as important learn from this so others don’t go through this. Given it costs them money to fix it hopefully they learn the value of doing it right the first time...

I don’t expect mine to be shipped until late October at the earliest and hopefully they have this stuff sorted out by then...

Aug 17, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #215 of 403
Yeah, this crowdfunded effort has been decidedly disappointing with respect to the manner in which the company has handled things. I'll just leave it at that.

Aug 17, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #216 of 403
Although the delays are a little disappointing, if they can come through in the end with a quality product, I'm ok with that. This however, is not a good sign. @theotherjude We've waited this long for them, don't just rush them out in an attempt to get them in our hands.

Aug 17, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #217 of 403
Yeah, this crowdfunded effort has been decidedly disappointing with respect to the manner in which the company has handled things. I'll just leave it at that.
That is their first headphones (they're a DAC and amp company), and I think their first crowdfunded project... Was not a smooth sailing, but their heart is in the right place!
I am sure they will improve their process and QC. Let's be patient for a little bit longer...

Aug 17, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #218 of 403
I picked mine up a couple weeks ago and there was a few minor pieces of plastic sticking out. Not sure of their process of attaching the plastic to the metal but it could use a little improvement. All in all they are a fun pair of headphones to game with I am waiting for my equipment to get to my new house to fully test them. Need a good amount of power to run them.

Aug 17, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #219 of 403
That is their first headphones (they're a DAC and amp company), and I think their first crowdfunded project... Was not a smooth sailing, but their heart is in the right place!
I am sure they will improve their process and QC. Let's be patient for a little bit longer...

I might be wrong, but I thought that while the guys doing Vokyl are JDS Labs employees, this is actually not a JDS effort. They are doing it on their own time, and have the permission of their employer to use some unused facility space and unused equipment capacity. I thought that was an unimaginably generous arrangement (no employer I have ever been with would have allowed that), but that's how I remember it.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #220 of 403
I might be wrong, but I thought that while the guys doing Vokyl are JDS Labs employees, this is actually not a JDS effort. They are doing it on their own time, and have the permission of their employer to use some unused facility space and unused equipment capacity. I thought that was an unimaginably generous arrangement (no employer I have ever been with would have allowed that), but that's how I remember it.
I think you're right. Regardless, my point was still that it's their first headphones, and first crowdfunding, so they're probably going through growing pains. Totally understandable.

Aug 19, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #222 of 403
Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention!

We are still in the infancy of shipping and ironing out final QC processes, so anything to make those methods more effective is a huge help. Already just based on these pictures, Nick and I are realizing there are few extra things for us to look out for during assembly. For example, we’ve been looking at the headbands in the resting position (how they would be when not on someone’s head) and that would cover up any leftover flash on the inserts. Flash is the term used for those flappy leftover plastic bits on a molded part, like where the inner headband meets the aluminum yoke. They can be easily clipped off, but we agree, it does not belong on the finished product like that.

We’re shooting for great looking headsets all around, but as this is a brand new product for us to put in the wild; we’re prepared to help with our goofs (which we’re sure will happen)! It would be a huge help and get any possible fixes started a lot faster if specific order issues were sent to hello@vokyl.io where we can track progress and match order numbers to headsets.

Thanks again!

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #223 of 403
Just got my pair today and on first inspection mine don't have as many QC issues.

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #225 of 403
Darker than my preferred sound, good imaging, real nice sub bass, pretty good soundstage but not insane like Z made it out to be. All around a real fun headset to game on and after a little EQing for my taste great for music. They do need a bit of power to drive them so I don't know how they will sound from a console.
e9HdT1u
https://imgur.com/e9HdT1u

Users who are viewing this thread

Back