Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Sep 14, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,781 of 4,765
Unfortunately, it didn't help :frowning2: I've loaded my LPG 256GB card with 150+ GB of DSD, but everything I see on the screen are 11 tracks from one of the catalogues and no ability to go up in the catalogue structure, as if this was the only album on the card. Any ideas...?

Yep, mine does the database update and choosing this option again doesn't help :frowning2: I have a 32GB card with some of my DSD albums and it WORKS. It only doesn't on 128GB and 256GB card. The 128 and 32 are even exactly the same type and company (Sandisk)! Maybe I'll try deleting the DSD files and use only FLACs and will see what'll happen...

I wonder if the format of the SD card might have to do something with it. I forgot what format the SD card in my LPG is, but I can check later today evening and get back to you.

Or check what format your 32GB card has and you could format the 256GB card to the same format.

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #3,783 of 4,765
I own a Sony WM1A which is a very nice player but I'm finding it to be a little edgy and sterile out of the SE jack (would prefer to avoid the hassle of buying & swapping a separate 4.4m cable to use the balanced jack) so I was considering buying a Lotoo Paw Gold which I've read may sound a little more organic. I listen to a wide variety DSD, 24/192 & 16/44 FLAC files across almost all genres.

Just wondering if anyone's been able to compare the sonics of these two players and has any impressions they can share, thanks.

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #3,784 of 4,765
I have tried the WM1A on SE. I did not like it much. It's tone and timbre was not accurate. LPG's timbre is more accurate, but the sound it slightly brighter and edgier. LPG has a good bass section that provides that organic feeling and prevents it from sounding sterile. But it is not organic in the high frequencies as the treble is a bit prominent.

Have you looked into the Bit Opus #2 and the DX200 with AMP3?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3,785 of 4,765
I own a Sony WM1A which is a very nice player but I'm finding it to be a little edgy and sterile out of the SE jack (would prefer to avoid the hassle of buying & swapping a separate 4.4m cable to use the balanced jack) so I was considering buying a Lotoo Paw Gold which I've read may sound a little more organic. I listen to a wide variety DSD, 24/192 & 16/44 FLAC files across almost all genres.

Just wondering if anyone's been able to compare the sonics of these two players and has any impressions they can share, thanks.

I was not enjoying Sony NW-WM1A until I went balanced. I have balanced Surf Cables in Sony 4.4mm termination for Audioquest Nighthawk headphones, Shure SRH1540s, and Shure SE846s. My Diana has been sitting, because I love the Sony's liquid, organic sound. Single ended sucks; barely better than an iPod. Give the balanced amp 150 to 200 hours of burn in and you will love it; especially 96khz/24 bit. My Shure SE846s are actually using ALO Reference 8 balanced cables.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #3,786 of 4,765
I wonder if the format of the SD card might have to do something with it. I forgot what format the SD card in my LPG is, but I can check later today evening and get back to you.
Or check what format your 32GB card has and you could format the 256GB card to the same format.

You're a lifesaver! It turned out that Lotoo itself was formatting my card wrongly, as I understand it. My working 32GB card was formatted "MS-DOS FAT" under MAC OSX, but my 256GB card was formatted - I'm not sure - maybe exFAT, as you suggest. Strongly enough, when changing it to MS-DOS FAT, it works now! LPG sees over 200GB of my DSD albums! So happy now!
Thank you EagleWings for your inspiration!

Well, I wouldn't call LPG organic... my AK380SS is way more organic, LPG is pretty aggressive, may be a bit harsh, very dynamic, strong punch, quite bright in comparison. I like how it sounds with Shure KSE1500 through line out. WM1A I remember sounds pretty average compared to WM1Z which has much more "magic", but that's just from listening at a trade show, so don't take this too seriously:wink:

I've started testing adding Aune B1 to the stack with LPG, through 0,6m interconnect Forza Noir mini-jack2mini-jack... Amp in one pocket, LPG in the other of my jumper jacket, and it seems it sounds much better than the LPG built in amp. But it's too soon to judge completely.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #3,788 of 4,765
I am really curious about LPG now, seems that everyone is holding its sound in very high regards! Most curious is how it compares to Opus #2 and DX200 from iBasso since I have both. I should hear an LPG sometime in the near future and tell everybody my impressions :darthsmile:

Seems that there is a lot of love throughout this thread anyways, my guess is that I'll be one to like it, if it sounds as good as everybody is saying!

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #3,789 of 4,765
Sounds fabulous, feels fabulous, looks fabulous, and with recent firmware updates operates fabulous, except...

If you, like I, "grew up" with iTunes and iPod/iPhones as your first musical player, you will REALLY miss the iTunes music selection facilities, such as search by name, artist, or album title, auto-generated playlists ("If you liked THAT, you will like 'THESE'"), and no-fuss display of album art.

But indeed, the sound and power to drive even difficult headphones is superb.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #3,790 of 4,765
I am really curious about LPG now, seems that everyone is holding its sound in very high regards! Most curious is how it compares to Opus #2 and DX200 from iBasso since I have both. I should hear an LPG sometime in the near future and tell everybody my impressions :darthsmile:

Seems that there is a lot of love throughout this thread anyways, my guess is that I'll be one to like it, if it sounds as good as everybody is saying!

Sounds great, but get advice on headphones. I have Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, and my Shure SRH 1540 and Audioquest Nighthawk headphones sound great, my AKG K812s...not so great. The AKGs sound great on the Questyle QP1R. The Lotoo is the best DAP with the right headphones.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #3,791 of 4,765

Yep, I also really like the LPG a lot, but the Opus #2 and DX200 also should sound superb :thumbsup:
One of the main reasons that I picked up a (used) LPG is that it can hold a 512GB card, which comes handy when you have a huge library with dsd and 24bit flac files.

The Lotoo is the best DAP with the right headphones.
The same goes for (c)iems...it's all about synergy in the end :ksc75smile:

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #3,792 of 4,765
I am really curious about LPG now, seems that everyone is holding its sound in very high regards!

Well, I don't. To me, it's a good mid-class player. But my AK380SS is destroying it in terms of richness of the sound, accuracy and playback culture. I use LPG because AK is in repair service and I'm anxiously waiting for its return. What I've also found is that it's better to attach Aune B1 with a good interconnect (I use FAW Noir) to LPG line out and it sounds much better than LPG "naked", which - to me - is a bit harsh.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3,793 of 4,765

Well, I don't. To me, it's a good mid-class player. But my AK380SS is destroying it in terms of richness of the sound, accuracy and playback culture. I use LPG because AK is in repair service and I'm anxiously waiting for its return. What I've also found is that it's better to attach Aune B1 with a good interconnect (I use FAW Noir) to LPG line out and it sounds much better than LPG "naked", which - to me - is a bit harsh.

We all hear differently. I sent my AK240SS back, because I wasn't impressed. Headphone pairings are extremely important for any player. I do enjoy Sony NW-WM1A in balanced and Questyle QP1R too.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #3,794 of 4,765

I have owned or tried most TOTL DAPs, not the AK380SS but AK380 stock and AK380CU, and while they sound good, all they destroy is your wallet. They sound refined and clear, but a bit week without an amp, and do not have the depth of sound of the LPG to my ears.

In any case, I believe no high en DAP destroys another, and always take such claims with a grain of salt (to say the least). But of course, most people who will put 5k in the AK380SS pack will never tell themselves that a 1.5K DAP is playing the same ballpark.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #3,795 of 4,765
I have owned or tried most TOTL DAPs, not the AK380SS but AK380 stock and AK380CU, and while they sound good, all they destroy is your wallet. They sound refined and clear, but a bit week without an amp, and do not have the depth of sound of the LPG to my ears.

In any case, I believe no high en DAP destroys another, and always take such claims with a grain of salt (to say the least). But of course, most people who will put 5k in the AK380SS pack will never tell themselves that a 1.5K DAP is playing the same ballpark.

So true. I have $500 headphones that I like more than a $1,700 pair. The expensive pair is prettier, but doesn't sound as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back