Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Sep 25, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #3,811 of 4,765
What do you mean exactly by the claims made on the listing? :darthsmile:

I can look into the subject and confirm sometime later :smile_phones:

The claims on the listing shared by @audionewbi. The listing claims that the 2017 version has a lower noise floor, larger soundstage and a slightly smoother treble.

Sep 25, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,812 of 4,765
LPG 2017 version comes in a gold box, has a 128 GB SDXC included and other changes are reflected in a much lower distortion and new improved PCB.
IMG-20170925-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20170925-WA0000-1.jpg

Sep 25, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #3,816 of 4,765
Mim, any chance you could get in touch with your contact at Taobao to get more info on the LPG 2017?

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #3,819 of 4,765
This player has a very engaging sound, I think the vocal sound fantastic on this player. Pretty dynamic with capable up pushing out significant bass quantity. It makes some of the recordings that are generally unexciting sounding fun to listen to.

Although I like the sound, there are few of down sides. With my Andromeda which is quite sensitive, I hear static sound with the music. UI is ancient. With all the Android based DAPs out now a days, why such an old UI? Navigating though songs can be easier. I heard Lotoo is a microphone recorder brand so I understand why the UI graphics look like ones for the recorders. Big downside is that it doesn't work as a USB DAC.

The parametric EQ is quite nice, and it is the best one I've experienced. EQ performs very well compared to others I've tried on phone and DAPs. It can lift bass with EQ pretty significantly. It is the only player that brings out the best of the iSine 20 planar magnetic iem. EQs the iSine really well. It boggles my mind how well it drives the iSine.

Ether Flow on the other hand didn't sound so good out of it. Ether Flow can push out glare with the wrong source I think.

If you look at the player, it does have an appearance of snake oil product(with the bling and all), but I got to say it does sound good, and the music out of it is engaging particularly.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #3,821 of 4,765
A few comments from Lotoo on the Lotoo Paw Gold MKII:

• There will be no upgrade service, this is a new model
  • It has a "smoother" appearance
  • Circuit is optimized for lower noise
  • There is overall little change versus previous model

Thanks man.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #3,823 of 4,765
A few comments from Lotoo on the Lotoo Paw Gold MKII:

• There will be no upgrade service, this is a new model
  • It has a "smoother" appearance
  • Circuit is optimized for lower noise
  • There is overall little change versus previous model
Does anyone own or listen to the newer model yet? And if so, any difference in SQ? Because you know, of course after all, we all care about sound.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #3,824 of 4,765
This is from the FB guys, taobao hasn't answered. I am not sure I will go through the bother of selling mine to buy a new one, especially that I have a Titanium that I find more pretty.

Yea, that's the idea I'm getting as well. It was the idea of a larger stage and a less aggressive sound that got me excited.

Rob Watts says that a Lower Noise floor would result in a less bright/aggressive sound. Which might explain the slightly less aggressive sound in the new model, as it has a lower noise floor.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #3,825 of 4,765
This player has a very engaging sound, I think the vocal sound fantastic on this player. Pretty dynamic with capable up pushing out significant bass quantity. It makes some of the recordings that are generally unexciting sounding fun to listen to.

Although I like the sound, there are few of down sides. With my Andromeda which is quite sensitive, I hear static sound with the music. UI is ancient. With all the Android based DAPs out now a days, why such an old UI? Navigating though songs can be easier. I heard Lotoo is a microphone recorder brand so I understand why the UI graphics look like ones for the recorders. Big downside is that it doesn't work as a USB DAC.

The parametric EQ is quite nice, and it is the best one I've experienced. EQ performs very well compared to others I've tried on phone and DAPs. It can lift bass with EQ pretty significantly. It is the only player that brings out the best of the iSine 20 planar magnetic iem. EQs the iSine really well. It boggles my mind how well it drives the iSine.

Ether Flow on the other hand didn't sound so good out of it. Ether Flow can push out glare with the wrong source I think.

If you look at the player, it does have an appearance of snake oil product(with the bling and all), but I got to say it does sound good, and the music out of it is engaging particularly.

The UI really is about perspective. To be honest, I like the simplistic UI which allow me to enjoy Music instead of tinkering with the GUI with so many options like in Android based DAPs. If all I need to do is relax and enjoy Music I'll grab my LPG instead of AK240 or DX200 which technically offers more features and ability to do more.

I actually find it easier to navigate around with LPG than the scroll-wheel based QP2R. Scrolling up and down a long list can be a frustrating experience. My only complaint about LPG is that USB charging is not supported. Meaning I have to bring a dedicated charger when travelling with LPG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back