Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Sep 27, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #3,841 of 4,765
For me the problem is that I don't like EQing, I always prefer direct sources. It's not that I'm a "sound purist", but I think that when EQing you are not listening to the device as it should really sound, but as you want it to sound, and maybe that's not a bad thing... But I have to admit I'm a bit lazy too :flushed:

It's most like being lazy. Nobody knows how these things are supposed to sound. As the final product is in the hands of the mastering technician/engineer. Guess what, those guys use EQ to come up with the final sound that goes to distribution. They are subject to their personal/taste and bias like we all do.

Not all EQ are created equal. There are many things that can impact sound. But when presented with a device with excellent EQ like LPG, I'll take it all day than spending time/money and effort looking for combinations of DAC, amp and cable (god forbid) to get the sound you like.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #3,842 of 4,765
It's most like being lazy. Nobody knows how these things are supposed to sound. As the final product is in the hands of the mastering technician/engineer. Guess what, those guys use EQ to come up with the final sound that goes to distribution. They are subject to their personal/taste and bias like we all do.

Not all EQ are created equal. There are many things that can impact sound. But when presented with a device with excellent EQ like LPG, I'll take it all day than spending time/money and effort looking for combinations of DAC, amp and cable (god forbid) to get the sound your like.

Well, EQ is free to use, if you want to tweak :darthsmile:

I kinda understand purists, but having the ability to change a signature on the spot is really nice, and after you know what you're doing, EQ becomes like a second nature.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #3,843 of 4,765
Well, EQ is free to use, if you want to tweak :darthsmile:

I kinda understand purists, but having the ability to change a signature on the spot is really nice, and after you know what you're doing, EQ becomes like a second nature.

LPG is unique, it's not your typical paragraphic EQ where you have fixed Q and just a handful of sliders at predefined frequencies you can cut/boost (like in all those FiiO, Cayin Opus, etc DAPs). LPG has Parametric EQ where you define Q (the width of the band) and the specific frequency. So, you have more control over sound shaping. Like a sharp knife with a very precise cut or boost :wink: A very high quality EQ implementation in Lotoo DAP.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #3,844 of 4,765
LPG is unique, it's not your typical paragraphic EQ where you have fixed Q and just a handful of sliders at predefined frequencies you can cut/boost (like in all those FiiO, Cayin Opus, etc DAPs). LPG has Parametric EQ where you define Q (the width of the band) and the specific frequency. So, you have more control over sound shaping. Like a sharp knife with a very precise cut or boost :wink: A very high quality EQ implementation in Lotoo DAP.

The PMEQ + the power headroom, I believe is what makes the EQ very effective in LPG. With other DAPs that has PMEQ/EQ, you have to cut the preamp (others just by enabling EQ automatically drops overall gain) as boosting a frequency a few DB can put a lot of stress on the amp stage. Remember a 3dB boost means the power output is doubled.

With LPG even with a 12dB boost filter, I don't see the need to cut the preamp/global gain level. The only thing I would like LPG to improve is to increase the Q value that is supported. While the maximum value of 1 is good enough, having the ability to have a higher Q (narrower bandwidth) will allow LPG to even be laser precise.

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #3,846 of 4,765

QUOTE]

This.... has... killed me. Never really thought about it and now my head's spinning...

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #3,847 of 4,765
...and this small difference is what keeps us up at night, trying to figure out which of your kids will not get to go to college so you can hear this small difference.
Oh, that was such an easy pick for me and yes, I certainly sleep better since I made that decision. The oldest (now 12yrs) is the best looking one (which already should be an advantage in life) and really likes his burger.
So, I figured he can make a career out of that later on with so many fastfood locations around :hamburger: :grin:
200.gif

Wish they would have released v2 of LPG instead of this 2017 version... Have no idea what happened to Lotoo. So much potential, so much demand for their next big thing, and... nothing in 2017, just a promise to wait for something in 2018 :frowning2: On the other hand, LPG has a longevity, since it's not dependent on Android updates or new BT codecs, or special driver compatibility...
Although I can completely understand that many out there would like to see a new LPG with even more advantages than the 2017 MKII edition, personally it gives me some peace of mind.
I don't feel the need to upgrade at this moment...still totally happy with my current LPG and I'm glad that they don't launch a new flagship as often as a company like Astell & Kern does.
When I have a good thing, I just cherish it and enjoy my music to the fullest :ksc75smile:

Btw, listening with a SE 5-way Ultimate (loaner) out of the LPG over here now...superb (it doesn't get much better imo) synergy :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #3,849 of 4,765
Yeah, SE5U pairs really well with LPG. Like I said, LPG is hot sauce. You apply it when you have to. LOL.

It's not the most resolving or transparent, but can be very engaging and love the mids out of it.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #3,850 of 4,765
Sep 28, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #3,854 of 4,765
Oh, that was such an easy pick for me and yes, I certainly sleep better since I made that decision. The oldest (now 12yrs) is the best looking one (which already should be an advantage in life) and really likes his burger.
So, I figured he can make a career out of that later on with so many fastfood locations around :hamburger: :grin:
200.gif

Although I can completely understand that many out there would like to see a new LPG with even more advantages than the 2017 MKII edition, personally it gives me some peace of mind.
I don't feel the need to upgrade at this moment...still totally happy with my current LPG and I'm glad that they don't launch a new flagship as often as a company like Astell & Kern does.
When I have a good thing, I just cherish it and enjoy my music to the fullest :ksc75smile:

Btw, listening with a SE 5-way Ultimate (loaner) out of the LPG over here now...superb (it doesn't get much better imo) synergy :thumbsup:
How was the fit with the CIEM SE5 Ultimate not being yours?

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3,855 of 4,765
How was the fit with the CIEM SE5 Ultimate not being yours?
Pretty good/comfortable actually. The seal is also great, so I guess that I'm hearing them the way they're supposed to sound.
And even if I should be wrong about that...I'm enjoying the heck out of them anyway these days :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back