Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Sep 28, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #3,856 of 4,765
Just sent funds for an used (mint) LPG off the for sale section.

After much reading, I'm quite hopeful for the signature of this player. I'm coming from a current stable consisting of ZX2, Mojo, DX200 (plus others), and while I find the latter two of these mentioned players to provide exceptional sound, it's comments like Mim's, describing the DX200 as being "too polite", resonating with me. Those are very good players each, but the described sound characteristics of the LPG seem to be right up my alley. Initially, I will mainly be using UERR (also the UERM and ie800 to a lesser degree), but would like to pick up another CIEM sometime in the near future. I've narrowed down my search to either an A18 or a SE5U, we'll see. If I can settle on the LPG as my primary device, it seems that the Spiral Ear would get the nod, given the stated synergy of the two.

I'm wondering if someone from this thread could clarify the process for how to listen to tracks in random fashion with this player. The best I can understand currently, is that this can be accomplished by loading all files into a single folder, and then maybe something about creating a playlist from this folder?

I'm wondering if this means putting all albums into one folder? Or does this mean that I would need to put all individual tracks into a single folder? It's not really clear for me, but would love to know what the actual procedure is. My anticipated use of this device is for almost strictly mobile use, and ideally, using some type of 'random' function, as is my general preference for listening on the go.

In contrast, we play a lot of records in our home, and also cd's, so it's just a matter of preference, depending upon the application.

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #3,857 of 4,765
To listen to tracks in random order, you first go to the settings menu (center button top row) to Play Settings and set Repeat Mode to Random. Then from the play display (showing title, volume, remaining time, etc.) use the left-most button top row to get to the list of songs in that album or folder, then use the left side of the gold tilt wheel to jump up the tree of folders. When you get to the folder you want to randomly play through, push the right side of the gold tilt wheel and move the indicator down to "Play the folder." The folder will be played randomly.

If the folder contains other folders below it, songs across all those folders will be played randomly. If you want to play all songs in the player randomly, just push the center top row button from a screen that lists folders or songs, and you will see the prompt "Play List - ALL." Choose ALL, and all songs will be played in random order.

If you organize your music into genres, you can randomly play jazz but not new age (or new age but not jazz), etc.

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #3,858 of 4,765
Just sent funds for an used (mint) LPG off the for sale section.

After much reading, I'm quite hopeful for the signature of this player. I'm coming from a current stable consisting of ZX2, Mojo, DX200 (plus others), and while I find the latter two of these mentioned players to provide exceptional sound, it's comments like Mim's, describing the DX200 as being "too polite", resonating with me. Those are very good players each, but the described sound characteristics of the LPG seem to be right up my alley. Initially, I will mainly be using UERR (also the UERM and ie800 to a lesser degree), but would like to pick up another CIEM sometime in the near future. I've narrowed down my search to either an A18 or a SE5U, we'll see. If I can settle on the LPG as my primary device, it seems that the Spiral Ear would get the nod, given the stated synergy of the two.

I'm wondering if someone from this thread could clarify the process for how to listen to tracks in random fashion with this player. The best I can understand currently, is that this can be accomplished by loading all files into a single folder, and then maybe something about creating a playlist from this folder?

I'm wondering if this means putting all albums into one folder? Or does this mean that I would need to put all individual tracks into a single folder? It's not really clear for me, but would love to know what the actual procedure is. My anticipated use of this device is for almost strictly mobile use, and ideally, using some type of 'random' function, as is my general preference for listening on the go.

In contrast, we play a lot of records in our home, and also cd's, so it's just a matter of preference, depending upon the application.
I also often like to listen in random order and devided my folders into this 5 main ones on a 512gb sd card:
  • DSD
  • FLAC 24bit
  • FLAC 16bit (A-K + L-Z)
  • MP3 @ 320 (A-K + L-Z)
  • MP3 @ 192 *
Unfortunately the LPG didn't allow me to put all files in one playlist, so to 'shuffle all songs' is a no go for me on the LPG. I could however put the first 3 folders in one and the 2 last (mp3) ones in another playlist, which resulted in 2 playlists with almost 7K songs each. Hope this helps (a bit)
* yes, I know playing mp3's @ 192kbps from a LPG is probably blasphemy, but these are some nice songs that I just don't have in a higher quality (yet) :grin:

To listen to tracks in random order, you first go to the settings menu (center button top row) to Play Settings and set Repeat Mode to Random. Then from the play display (showing title, volume, remaining time, etc.) use the left-most button top row to get to the list of songs in that album or folder, then use the left side of the gold tilt wheel to jump up the tree of folders. When you get to the folder you want to randomly play through, push the right side of the gold tilt wheel and move the indicator down to "Play the folder." The folder will be played randomly.

If the folder contains other folders below it, songs across all those folders will be played randomly. If you want to play all songs in the player randomly, just push the center top row button from a screen that lists folders or songs, and you will see the prompt "Play List - ALL." Choose ALL, and all songs will be played in random order.

If you organize your music into genres, you can randomly play jazz but not new age (or new age but not jazz), etc.
Now this is a perfect explanation imo :thumbsup:
Unfortunately in the ''Play List - ALL'' not all my files came forward (I wish they would)...not even close (maybe 25%). But that probably has to do with too many files in my situation.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #3,859 of 4,765
I also often like to listen in random order... :grin:
Now this is a perfect explanation imo :thumbsup:
Unfortunately in the ''Play List - ALL'' not all my files came forward (I wish they would)...not even close (maybe 25%). But that probably has to do with too many files in my situation.
Hmm... I never went to look to see if all of my songs actually get played in the "Play All" mode... I just assumed they were (and I have around 6,000).

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3,860 of 4,765
Thank you, to you two! It is a tremendous relief to me to know that these options exist. It was not too convincing to search with this question, and to read the (mixed) results.

I'll have to figure it out once the player is actually in my hands, but again, I'm very happy to know that I'll be able to do this. It is just my preference for mobile listening. I love the surprise element of shuffling my tracks!

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #3,861 of 4,765
I have yet to discover why most players, LPG included, only play a fraction of the songs (and usually the same ones) over and over when in ramdon mode...

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #3,862 of 4,765
I have yet to discover why most players, LPG included, only play a fraction of the songs (and usually the same ones) over and over when in ramdon mode...

It is about the random algirthm used, it will geneate a playlist based on the index numbers, no suffle is perfect and all shuffles in thius world will have a repeating algorithm at some point, because a certain order will always be the most random out there. A truly random algorithm would mean that the same song can be repeated multiple times....

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #3,863 of 4,765
It is about the random algirthm used, it will geneate a playlist based on the index numbers, no suffle is perfect and all shuffles in thius world will have a repeating algorithm at some point, because a certain order will always be the most random out there. A truly random algorithm would mean that the same song can be repeated multiple times....

Wow, many thanks for the explanation!... I've always thought there was something wrong with the system but it seems it is the other way around!

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #3,864 of 4,765
This PMEQ setting is phenomenal.
20171009_071641.jpg

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #3,865 of 4,765
@Quadfather what headphones are you using with your PMEQ setting?

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #3,866 of 4,765
This PMEQ setting is phenomenal.

Phenomenal with specific iems/headphones? Or with everyhing that you tried it with?
My LPG will be out on a loan to a good HF friend for the upcoming period, but once it's back I will surely give it a try => thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #3,867 of 4,765
@Quadfather what headphones are you using with your PMEQ setting?

I am using AKG K812s. I hated the combo with LPG until I came to this PMEQ setting. I was satisfied with Shure SRH1540 and Audioquest Nighthawk headphones without this setting. I was just about to add what headphones the setting was for when the comments came through.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #3,868 of 4,765
Thanks!

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,870 of 4,765
Hi guys. Two questions from a curious Lotoo newbie...what's the difference between the LPG "2017 Version" and previous models and does the LPG do USB Audio Out too or just LINE OUT? Thanks in advance.
Very minimal difference, they claim less THD and cosmetic design changes. LPG has only line out and doesn't support USB DAC, or USB charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back