Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Sep 26, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #3,827 of 4,765
Yea, that's the idea I'm getting as well. It was the idea of a larger stage and a less aggressive sound that got me excited.

Rob Watts says that a Lower Noise floor would result in a less bright/aggressive sound. Which might explain the slightly less aggressive sound in the new model, as it has a lower noise floor.

It was about time!! I've really loved my LPG to bits but lately those brilliance and aggressiveness are pushing me to pastures new...

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #3,828 of 4,765
This is coming straight from Lotoo

Yes there is a new version, it’s called PAW Gold 2017 Edition but just very tiny modification, mainly on making quality, so it’s almost no difference in SQ with the older LPG.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #3,829 of 4,765
To pastures new then...:o2smile:

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #3,831 of 4,765
I am very satisfied with Lotoo Paw Gold Diana now that I have figured out the PMEQ user, custom settings! You can pretty much make it sound however you want to make it sound. And it's got the power to back up whatever sound you want to push it out of it. Headphones can be picky with sources, so the PM EQ takes that away as an issue for me.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,832 of 4,765
For me the problem is that I don't like EQing, I always prefer direct sources. It's not that I'm a "sound purist", but I think that when EQing you are not listening to the device as it should really sound, but as you want it to sound, and maybe that's not a bad thing... But I have to admit I'm a bit lazy too :flushed:

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #3,834 of 4,765
I'm a bit of a purist as well, but PEQ is really good on the Lotoo that it's worthwhile to see how well it performs.

The DAP and headphones makers tune their products to their liking. Why not, as a customer, tune it to my liking? Special orders didn't upset Burger King, although it may have irritated Whopper purists. LOL Lotoo Paw Gold Diana's PMEQ it awesome and always sounds clear and nice...never forced.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,835 of 4,765
For me the problem is that I don't like EQing, I always prefer direct sources. It's not that I'm a "sound purist", but I think that when EQing you are not listening to the device as it should really sound, but as you want it to sound, and maybe that's not a bad thing... But I have to admit I'm a bit lazy too :flushed:
I really don't see EQ-ed sound as less pure as the "original " tuning, because reference sound is just an illusion.
As long as it doesn't botch the sound when applying eq-ing (which pretty much involves avoiding saturation --> Cowon Jet-effects, they've been doing wonderfully that for 20 years), I'm fine with adjusting the tuning to my preferences.

Of course, if you start with a source that is the polar opposite of your preferences, EQ-ing will be a pain, so I completely get the laziness argument.
But a little bit of tweaking can't hurt, as long as they forget graphical EQ (worst invention ever, it completely lacks the finesse that is required to equalize). Parametric EQ is so much more potent, and the LPG just rocks in that regard.

I just wish they would at least upgrade it with a touchscreen + buttons for the navigation part, I can't stand wheels anymore, it is so inefficient for browsing music libraries.
Once you've touched upon a dead-easy UI like Opus #1/#2, you can never go back to wheels again.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #3,836 of 4,765
This is coming straight from Lotoo

Yes there is a new version, it’s called PAW Gold 2017 Edition but just very tiny modification, mainly on making quality, so it’s almost no difference in SQ with the older LPG.

It is funny how the brands know us so little. For an audiophile, "almost no difference" means "a small difference" and this small difference is what keeps us up at night, trying to figure out which of your kids will not get to go to college so you can hear this small difference.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #3,837 of 4,765
I really don't see EQ-ed sound as less pure as the "original " tuning, because reference sound is just an illusion.
As long as it doesn't botch the sound when applying eq-ing (which pretty much involves avoiding saturation --> Cowon Jet-effects, they've been doing wonderfully that for 20 years), I'm fine with adjusting the tuning to my preferences.

Of course, if you start with a source that is the polar opposite of your preferences, EQ-ing will be a pain, so I completely get the laziness argument.
But a little bit of tweaking can't hurt, as long as they forget graphical EQ (worst invention ever, it completely lacks the finesse that is required to equalize). Parametric EQ is so much more potent, and the LPG just rocks in that regard.

I just wish they would at least upgrade it with a touchscreen + buttons for the navigation part, I can't stand wheels anymore, it is so inefficient for browsing music libraries.
Once you've touched upon a dead-easy UI like Opus #1/#2, you can never go back to wheels again.
+1
I wish the interface was up to today's DAP standards as well. It would make things a whole lot easier to navigate. Interestingly the display graphics are same as the protable microphone devices as Lotoo makes those. This maybe the reason why they know how to implement a good PEQ.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #3,838 of 4,765
Wish they would have released v2 of LPG instead of this 2017 version... Have no idea what happened to Lotoo. So much potential, so much demand for their next big thing, and... nothing in 2017, just a promise to wait for something in 2018 :frowning2: On the other hand, LPG has a longevity, since it's not dependent on Android updates or new BT codecs, or special driver compatibility...

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #3,840 of 4,765
Wish they would have released v2 of LPG instead of this 2017 version... Have no idea what happened to Lotoo. So much potential, so much demand for their next big thing, and... nothing in 2017, just a promise to wait for something in 2018 :frowning2: On the other hand, LPG has a longevity, since it's not dependent on Android updates or new BT codecs, or special driver compatibility...
I guess infomedia also has their oem business that keeps them busy. Besides, it is a Chinese company, and notions of strategy and planning are quite....hum...different here.

I just contacted Michael from Lotoo and he left the company to found his own brand, XI Audio, high end. His first product will be an amp for the Abyss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back