In-Ears for travel under $150
Aug 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

BullHorn

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I have some decent full-sized headphones for use at home (Ultrasone Pro 900, AKG K240, Audio Technica D40fs) but when traveling, I use a cheap pair of Sennheiser CX300-II which is possibly a fake.

I'm willing to spend $150US at the most. I already have a couple of portable amplifiers so driving them would not be an issue.

I went through the huge comparison threads and noticed that the best rated headphones are: Hi-FiMan R0, Hi-FiMan RE-ZERO, Sunrise Sw-Xcape Impressive Edition, VSonic GR06, Hi-FiMan RE262.

I mostly listen to trance, reggae, metal/rock and sometimes even pop. I like bass but not a 'bass monster'. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 27
Do you want an earphone or headphone ? :)

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 27
I see. I assume that you might want the most 'comfort' + isolation for the travel ? 
when it comes to comfort, Phonak series came into my mind first . like PFE 022 . but the isolation may not be in your favor.
other than that, you can try the Etymotic HF 5 , max isolation I ever listened to. I've seen a lot of good reviews about Sunrise series too. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 27
What about the Rockit Sound R50?

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 27
If you already have an amp, I would be looking at Vsonic GRO7 and possibly Yamaha EPH-100. GRO7 are 'very good' with rock and metal amped.

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 27
What about the 3 I mentioned: HiFiMan RE-ZERO, HiFiMan RE262 and Sunrise Sw-Xcape Impressive Edition?

The RE262 is double the price of the Sunrise but they seem to be well liked around here?

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 27
What about the 3 I mentioned: HiFiMan RE-ZERO, HiFiMan RE262 and Sunrise Sw-Xcape Impressive Edition?

The RE262 is double the price of the Sunrise but they seem to be well liked around here?

I haven't heard them sorry. RE262, does get mentioned here in high regards. The only advice I can give you from my own experience is if you have $150 to spend go for something within that price range, there's no cheap way out by spending half the amount. Outlay the whole lot on something now rather than double spend later down the track. You'll be glad you did.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 27
What do you mean "for travel"?
If you mean specifically for flying, I highly recommend active noise-canceling IEMs.
They likely don't sound as good as plain old IEMs of the same prices, and may have some low hissing issues, but they perform well in noisy environment to cancel out the engine sound, so you don't have to jack up the volume too high to block out noise.  You likely won't hear the hissing from noise-canceling IEMs during flying, and those environment probably not ideal for appreciating the nuances of sound quality anyway.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #15 of 27
try Radius W11 and you shall  not regret
This are my all times favorite and not only mine if you research.... 2 years ago when this came out it was absolute hit. I will put the radius or Fischer`s Tandems for lovers of music with prominent base lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back