IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 23, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #2,266 of 3,190
Early surprise...
IMG_20190223_180328_Bokeh.jpg

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #2,268 of 3,190
You and me both. I desperately wanted to negatively critique the nighthawk before it arrived. The thing is wonderful though. I love old reggae and it plays it superbly. Better than anything else, esoteric or mainstream to my ears. The headphone confuses me mightily. How can it be so dark and so detailed?
Taking your nighthawk appreciation on board I know for sure the oriolus is right for me.
Thank you
You're welcome! Hope you get hear the Oriolus MK 2 soon!
I just received the Zenith v2 in the mail. Hooked them up with blue filters and balanced silver cable I bought from Boba few months ago out of bag sound clearer
But congested prob cause no burn in yet

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #2,269 of 3,190
I have the Ares ll and the Bespoke 8-wire Ares Il. I will give both a listen.
Look forward to your impressions!!
I just got the revised. zenith in the mail an hour ago hooked them up with silver balanced Cable I got from Bob a few MO the ago for R1. Very impressive so far but a bit congested with no burn in yet..
I'm imagining Effect audio cables would blow them out if the park!

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #2,270 of 3,190
Look forward to your impressions!!
I just got the revised. zenith in the mail an hour ago hooked them up with silver balanced Cable I got from Bob a few MO the ago for R1. Very impressive so far but a bit congested with no burn in yet..
I'm imagining Effect audio cables would blow them out if the park!
Will certainly give some impressions...how have you been sir?

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #2,274 of 3,190
I forgot to put them on white noise to season them before bed last night...ugh.

I have done some limited listening out of the box, but I quickly went to Lg Final Audio tips and Ares II cable. It reminds me of when I first put the R1 in my ears, I wasn't immediately fond of the signature. I settled on the pink filter on the R1 but I am keeping the Black filter on the Zenith for now. Too many immediate changes, tips, cables and filters confuses the listening. It is best to allow yourself some time to get accustomed to what you are hearing before tweaking. I feel that this is particularly true with the tips and filters. Many people start rolling tips and haven't adapted to the sound with the tips they are listening too.

The bass is solid as expected, and I am not picking up on the hotness in the treble some have alluded to. The fatigue some are picking up on could be due in part to how forward the sound is, it was the same in the R1. The stage, at this point, is not as broad as I thought it would be, but I am sure it will open up with a little time. The Zenith appears to have "in your face" characteristics of it's younger sibling, not a bad thing necessarily, just can take time to adjust to if you are accustomed to a smooth type of IEM. I will spend some time after church today to listen, but I need to season them some as well, before I offer critical opinions.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #2,275 of 3,190
Thanks for your impressions Subguy812!
appreciate your scientific method!
Changing one variable at a time definitely more accurate evaluation process. MIT version 2 Z are in burn in for 4 days now
The version 1 still sound weird after
Using them quite a bit but better. I'm hopeful for the v2! Still prefer Oriolus MK2 as my reference experience
Hope the Z2 blow me away at end of Burn in week winder how they will compare to old great Aurisonics 2.0 I got from you I believe

Feb 24, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #2,278 of 3,190
One thing that I don't understand, the Zenith was reliesed in January and is on V2 already? Or the V2 is the units with the phase problem corrected and to make the things more "sweet" Bob offers a new cable?
V2 is the phase corrected version of the Zenith, thats all thats changed according to Bob. sent to all who got the original Zenith, but with no filters, tips or cables. mine arrived yesterday
and is burning in. initial impressions very positive, sounds better out of the box than the original,, even with the original burned in and the phase problem corrected by switching the cable pins.
so there may be more improvements to it that are subtle....the silver cable has been available from Bob as balanced cable for months anyway., and its a very nice cable and a bargain. however,
im still tempted to try an Effect Audio Ares for the copper bass boost......and tone improvement!

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #2,279 of 3,190
So far, my experience is opposite of everyone else. I'm enjoying the V1 more than V2. More open sounding and less driver flex. I think with more time, they will both be about the same except for the driver flex. My V1 set was in phase when I received it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back