IMR - R1 Thread
Jun 23, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #3,181 of 3,190
Hi - sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but you seem like a man who would know! I'm new to the world of IEMs and have a pair of R1 Zeniths - the stock rubber 2-pin cable just won't stay put behind my ear and drives me nuts! I'd like to buy a 3rd party flexible cable that will hang gracefully.

Can you recommend which cable/brands I should look at that will fit the R1 Zeniths properly? Thanks!
Well I like NiceHCK 2 pin cables as I use both their 7N 8 core cable as well as the 16 core but another good one for wrapping around your ear is the Advanced cable which came with the M51D I have because it is QDC which puts it at the angle towards the ear :wink: Here it is followed by the 16 Core and 7N:v:

Z-Me.JPG

ZzzzzZeniths.JPG

R1 Z-Boom.JPG

Good luck:beerchug:

Jun 23, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #3,182 of 3,190
Well I like NiceHCK 2 pin cables as I use both their 7N 8 core cable as well as the 16 core but another good one for wrapping around your ear is the Advanced cable which came with the M51D I have because it is QDC which puts it at the angle towards the ear :wink: Here it is followed by the 16 Core and 7N:v:

Z-Me.JPG
ZzzzzZeniths.JPG
R1 Z-Boom.JPG
Good luck:beerchug:
Thanks - I found some NiceHCK PurpleSE Imported 8 Strands FURUKAWA Copper Cables (3.5mm) on Alixpress discounted from £121 to like £13 (or so they say!) so I thought, why not, and bought them.

I only need them to replace the IMR stock rubber cables I can't get to fit me, so for the price, it's worth a try. Purple is not my colour of choice but who cares, it's only £13.

Once I get my A&K DAP, I'll probably go with 4.4 balanced from then on for all cables, just for the sturdiness.

Cheers!

Jun 23, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #3,183 of 3,190
Thanks - I found some NiceHCK PurpleSE Imported 8 Strands FURUKAWA Copper Cables (3.5mm) on Alixpress discounted from £121 to like £13 (or so they say!) so I thought, why not, and bought them.

I only need them to replace the IMR stock rubber cables I can't get to fit me, so for the price, it's worth a try. Purple is not my colour of choice but who cares, it's only £13.

Once I get my A&K DAP, I'll probably go with 4.4 balanced from then on for all cables, just for the sturdiness.

Cheers!
I don't know, sometime Purple can be fun :wink: :beerchug:

Sonylicious.JPG

Chi-Fi Ninety Nine.JPG

Jun 24, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #3,185 of 3,190
R1 Zenith were one of the biggest disappointments in my audio history.
Really, since we all hear our gear a little differently what were your issues with the Zenith’s? Are/were they your only IMR unit?

Jun 24, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #3,187 of 3,190
@Podster I didn't like them overall - the bass was boomy, upper frequencies were metallic, unnatural and tiring. Comfort was also mediocre at best. The R1 was my first and probably last IMR model.
Fair enough, as I mention we all hear them a little differently. There are many who did not care for the Zenith, I myself prefer the R2 Aten and Opus Mia’s over the Zenith. Best of luck finding just what tour looking for:beerchug:

Jun 24, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #3,188 of 3,190
@Podster You're right, we hear differently and have different taste in music or IEM tuning. I didn't like the Zenith, but that doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, I've had the R2 Aten on my list to buy for some time, but I looked for used ones and found nothing.

ATM I'm happy with what I have, but of course I'm buying new stuff as most of us do. At least I limited new purchases to IEM-s only, as I have reached so called temporary endgame in my desktop setup and dongles. :smile_phones:

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #3,189 of 3,190
Weirdly, I put them on yesterday with larger ear tips and they sounded so thin and metallic - like really bad! But then I sort of adjusted the fit in my ear until it sort of came together - seems that something as simple as getting the fit correct makes a huge difference to the final audio quality. IEMs are fiddly for sure.... I guess with over the head headphones a lot of these issues are eliminated. But they sure do look cool, that can't be denied.. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back