IMR - R1 Thread
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #3,151 of 3,190
May 17, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #3,157 of 3,190
Just bringing this topic off the grave, decided to experiment a bit with my zenith since today i got a single DD (Thor Mjolnir) that reminded me a lot of it, I’ve been using my zenith as a daily driver for over a year, went and changed the filters with a blue base and a pink top from the newer imr headphones, ended up placing a bit of tea bag paper in the front of the driver, 2 sheets per side (not covering the whole space)

Zeniths have more energy than the Mjolnir though bass quantity and quality is almost the same, i was impressed with it, the tea bag filter tamed the high mids that for me were a deal breaker, overall it helps opening more the soundstage and cleaning up the mess that it has in the mids, it is a sentimental thing, I’ve never been able to put down my zenith’s, it still has a special spot in my collection, they were sold to me by a friend but he bought them from another friend that ended up being one of the coolest dudes I’ve ever met in this hobby in Mexico City. @elNan mi gordo :)

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #3,158 of 3,190
Just bringing this topic off the grave, decided to experiment a bit with my zenith since today i got a single DD (Thor Mjolnir) that reminded me a lot of it, I’ve been using my zenith as a daily driver for over a year, went and changed the filters with a blue base and a pink top from the newer imr headphones, ended up placing a bit of a doble tea bag paper in the front of the driver (not covering the whole space)

Zeniths have more energy than the Mjolnir though bass quantity and quality is almost the same, i was impressed with it, with the tea bag filter i tamed the high mids that for me were a deal breaker, overall it helps opening more the soundstage and cleaning up the mess that i has in the mids, maybe its a sentimental thing but i never been able to put down my zenith, it still has a special spot in my collection, they were sold to me by a friend but he bought them from another friend that ended up being one of the coolest dudes I’ve ever met in this hobby in Mexico City. @elNan mi gordo :)
Nice, love my Zenith’s as well as my original R1’s, R2’s, Delta II’s, Masters and Icarus III’s:grin: I see Bob is doing one of his old TA numbers and offering a trade up program on the Ozar that has (per Bob) a way better 10mm dynamic in it. I told him already I for sure could not let go of my Zenith’s and you get the most out of the R2 which cuts the price of the Ozar in half. Heck I’m still waiting in my Knights:rolling_eyes: Since I’m an “I gotta know” kind of guy I may trade in the R2 cause it did not de-throne the Zenith for me:unamused:

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #3,159 of 3,190
Got these in Cex for £120 for some fun. Not bad, interesting sound sig, can't handle female vocals to save it's life, but I found the sound signature kind of fun for edm. At £500 it's pure robbery, though, lots of bluetooth buds sound better than this now.

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #3,160 of 3,190
Got these in Cex for £120 for some fun. Not bad, interesting sound sig, can't handle female vocals to save it's life, but I found the sound signature kind of fun for edm. At £500 it's pure robbery, though, lots of bluetooth buds sound better than this now.
R1 or Zenith? Also do those Bluetooth buds cost $400 themselves by any chance?

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #3,162 of 3,190
Yup R1, B&W PI7 £280 here in the UK. They're a bit of fun I'm just a bit blown away they were £500 RRP tbh
Okay. I haven’t heard those. I don’t treat Bluetooth with the same scorn many Head-fiers do, so I wouldn’t be surprised it rivals the R1. However I don’t share your sentiment regarding the R1 itself, I paid about 200€ for them and always thought of them as one of the best audio deals ever. Definitely worth the 500 asking price for me, within their time frame; I remember auditioning Campfire things around that time and even their 1000€+ didn’t hold a candle to the R1 either in terms of fidelity, engagement, or fit design.

I still use my R1 as Bluetooth buds actually, connected to a fine BT cable, because I am yet to find comparable sound quality in dedicated wireless gear. Female voices sound pretty great to me, it’s the Zenith I didn’t like in that regard, hence my question.

Oct 29, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #3,163 of 3,190
Okay. I haven’t heard those. I don’t treat Bluetooth with the same scorn many Head-fiers do, so I wouldn’t be surprised it rivals the R1. However I don’t share your sentiment regarding the R1 itself, I paid about 200€ for them and always thought of them as one of the best audio deals ever. Definitely worth the 500 asking price for me, within their time frame; I remember auditioning Campfire things around that time and even their 1000€+ didn’t hold a candle to the R1 either in terms of fidelity, engagement, or fit design.

I still use my R1 as Bluetooth buds actually, connected to a fine BT cable, because I am yet to find comparable sound quality in dedicated wireless gear. Female voices sound pretty great to me, it’s the Zenith I didn’t like in that regard, hence my question.
I have the campfire vega and did a/b them with these for a hoot, the gap is absolutely vast. Mid range on the vega is much more detailed and natural. R1 sounds flat and tinny in the midrange compared. Bass response, just no competition whatsoever, so much tighter and more full bodied. The R1 is, unsurprisingly, far worse than a vega. I have heard and own budget gear that rivals flagships, for me the R1 for sure isnt that.

Im not saying they're bad they're a decent iem and at £120 i think its a nice deal for sure. People comparing them to andros/vegas reminds me off those comparing airpods max to hd800s tho lol.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #3,164 of 3,190
I have the campfire vega and did a/b them with these for a hoot, the gap is absolutely vast. Mid range on the vega is much more detailed and natural. R1 sounds flat and tinny in the midrange compared. Bass response, just no competition whatsoever, so much tighter and more full bodied. The R1 is, unsurprisingly, far worse than a vega. I have heard and own budget gear that rivals flagships, for me the R1 for sure isnt that.

Im not saying they're bad they're a decent iem and at £120 i think its a nice deal for sure. People comparing them to andros/vegas reminds me off those comparing airpods max to hd800s tho lol.
Like has been said (by me) a thousand times out here, we all hear them differently :wink: My ears do not find any of these:

Campfire Crew.JPG

Better than any of these:

IM1- Tomahawk.JPG

Aten Hut!.JPG

IMR Semper.JPG

For you it may be a gap but for me it's the understanding of each manufacturers house sound :thinking: Of course to each their own :beerchug:

Oct 29, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #3,165 of 3,190
Like has been said (by me) a thousand times out here, we all hear them differently :wink: My ears do not find any of these:

Better than any of these:

For you it may be a gap but for me it's the understanding of each manufacturers house sound :thinking: Of course to each their own :beerchug:
Nice looking iems i can't say I know what the latter ones are, they look dope though. I agree though, it is all personal! So much variety in how we hear and iems, so until you try you never know. Maybe I should try some of IMR's higher end offerings too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back