IMR - R1 Thread
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #3,122 of 3,190
Maybe this'll lead to some eye rolls and questions of why I'm reviving the thread, but stuff like this is so rare I have to share it.

On Wednesday I left home in a rush with a suitcase — I was travelling to Prague for work. I draped my R1's over my neck and walked to the train station, suitcase in tow and with an umbrella (gotta love the UK weather). When I got on the train I reached down to put my headphone in only to find that the right phone had fallen off.

I hate that sinking feeling, but after fumbling around in my pockets I realised it was definitely gone.

I dropped Bob an email asking if he happened to have any right-sided phones left to buy so I could complete the set again. I joked that I would have loved to buy the new R3 but had to re-consider thanks to my wife being pregnant. I got back to my desk at work today to find a parcel from Bob — a note congratulating me on the new baby, and a brand new R-sided headphone, 'on him'.

So... not only does Bob make some of the best headphones on the market, he's also a true gent. Completely blown away by this act of kindness.

The reviews are all out there, and so I'm sure anyone reading this doesn't need much convincing about whether or not to buy from IMR. But if you have any doubt, just go for it, you won't regret it!

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #3,123 of 3,190
Maybe this'll lead to some eye rolls and questions of why I'm reviving the thread, but stuff like this is so rare I have to share it.

On Wednesday I left home in a rush with a suitcase — I was travelling to Prague for work. I draped my R1's over my neck and walked to the train station, suitcase in tow and with an umbrella (gotta love the UK weather). When I got on the train I reached down to put my headphone in only to find that the right phone had fallen off.

I hate that sinking feeling, but after fumbling around in my pockets I realised it was definitely gone.

I dropped Bob an email asking if he happened to have any right-sided phones left to buy so I could complete the set again. I joked that I would have loved to buy the new R3 but had to re-consider thanks to my wife being pregnant. I got back to my desk at work today to find a parcel from Bob — a note congratulating me on the new baby, and a brand new R-sided headphone, 'on him'.

So... not only does Bob make some of the best headphones on the market, he's also a true gent. Completely blown away by this act of kindness.

The reviews are all out there, and so I'm sure anyone reading this doesn't need much convincing about whether or not to buy from IMR. But if you have any doubt, just go for it, you won't regret it!

This is absolutely great!

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #3,124 of 3,190

Literally yesterday I shot him an email asking if he had any spare blue filters available for the RAH as I'd damaged mine. Promised to send one to my registered address freer if charge. Can't beat service like that, especially when the fault lies with me.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #3,125 of 3,190

Wow, I knew he was great at customer service, but this is way more than anyone could expect from a company. Glad you revived the thread to post this!

Sadly I have to pass on the R3 Halcyon, but Phase and Semper are definitely on my buying list for this year.

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #3,127 of 3,190
I just received the IMR Rah and I'm selling my R1 with upgraded IMR OFC 3.5mm cable. I'm a fairly new Head-Fi'er so I can't list them in the For Sale section yet. Lemme know if anyone needs a set. Asking $300 USD obo.

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #3,128 of 3,190
The Zenith was collecting dust and decided to pair them with the ZX507. I almost forgot how good they are. The RAH spoiled me but I'll keep them. And order the EDP of course.

May 3, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #3,130 of 3,190
For those, who want a bit of nostalgia :) My video about IMR's lineup and R1 was just the beginning

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. I sold my R1 Zenith to make room for the RAH and absolutely love them. Of all the my current and previously owned monitors, they stand out as my all time favorites. Can't wait for the EDP which should be shipping in about 4 weeks and look forward to reading / seeing your impressions.

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #3,131 of 3,190
As someone who didn't know about IMR products yesterday....I am curious about the R1Z B-stock for £149.

How do these compare to current chi-fi standards (2020) for that price? they look incredibly well built and i do like a filter selection (i have LZ A6 mini).

If somebody looks at my sig below and says they are a clear step up from everything I have now then I may be interested.

Thanks! :)

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #3,132 of 3,190
I can't see your sig but I'm not sure if I would go for the R1z although that is a very good price. I don't have the R1z but have the original R1 and it was significantly bettered by the Aten R2 (which the Rah improved on further). I love the R1 and can't bring myself to sell them but I don't think I would buy them right now.

For around the same money you could get a used Aten which would give a good taste of the IMR sound. I still think the Aten has the biggest bass of the IMR's I've heard. The Rah is the one though if you can get hold of some. I haven't heard the Red or EDP which could also be options.

One thing to say is that if you buy the R1z from Bob you get discount code for future purchases which could pay for the R1z if you got something else later. Head fi logic there.

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #3,134 of 3,190
I can't see your sig but I'm not sure if I would go for the R1z although that is a very good price. I don't have the R1z but have the original R1 and it was significantly bettered by the Aten R2 (which the Rah improved on further). I love the R1 and can't bring myself to sell them but I don't think I would buy them right now.

For around the same money you could get a used Aten which would give a good taste of the IMR sound. I still think the Aten has the biggest bass of the IMR's I've heard. The Rah is the one though if you can get hold of some. I haven't heard the Red or EDP which could also be options.

One thing to say is that if you buy the R1z from Bob you get discount code for future purchases which could pay for the R1z if you got something else later. Head fi logic there.

Thanks for reply.

R1Z at B-stock price is above my normal max-limit but i would go there if it was considered worth it still:

IEMS: KXXS, Blon-03, E2000, Spring 1, JVC HA-FX650, LZ A6 mini, SE1, TRN V90. Azla Azel.
Headphones: Koss ESP/95X, DT770 (250), Fidelio X2HR, HD58X.
Earbuds: FAAEAL Iris 2.0, Toneking TO200.
Amps: JDS Atom, Topping NX3S, Sabaj PHA3 (Mullard tubes).
Source: Lg V50 - UAPP - Qobuz Studio Premier.

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #3,135 of 3,190
Thanks for reply.

R1Z at B-stock price is above my normal max-limit but i would go there if it was considered worth it still:

IEMS: KXXS, Blon-03, E2000, Spring 1, JVC HA-FX650, LZ A6 mini, SE1, TRN V90. Azla Azel.
Headphones: Koss ESP/95X, DT770 (250), Fidelio X2HR, HD58X.
Earbuds: FAAEAL Iris 2.0, Toneking TO200.
Amps: JDS Atom, Topping NX3S, Sabaj PHA3 (Mullard tubes).
Source: Lg V50 - UAPP - Qobuz Studio Premier.

See my signature. I gave my original R1 to a friend and still use my Zenith’s and Aten’s and for me the IMR’s are in a different and yes I will say a higher class of iem to my Chi-Fi’s and I have over 2 dozen to include the LZ A4 & A6 Mini, BGVP DMG, DM6, DMS, 9 Tails, Starfields, Diamonds, BA-10’s, Terminators, ZS7, ZS6x2, Ikko OH1, Dunu Titan 6. So yes I do have some pretty nice Chi-Fi iem’s but still IMO the IMR’s are in a different league but we all hear them differently and I don’t expect everyone to agree with me but that’s the best part as they don’t have too. I will say once again IMO the R1 Zeniths are a $500 + iem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back