IMR - R1 Thread
Jun 24, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #3,136 of 3,190
From your list I've only owned the TRN V90 & Blon 03 but the R1 is a step up from both of them. I like them both especially the V90 it scales up well makes a great beater pair.

I haven't listened to the R1 for a while so I've got them in now - had the R2 in before. They're good but my main reason for liking them now is that they were my first taste of the IMR sound. They suffer in the high end compared to later models. Bass is there in spades but is cleaner and deeper on the R2.

I know what it's like and I'm always trying not to spend too much but if It could get the R1 or R2 for the around the same price the R2 gives a better idea of what Bob is reaching for and is a better pair all round.

I'd say for the same money you could get better than the R1z now but if you really want to hear the IMR sound its a good option. I'd be intrigued to see what anyone who owns the red and R1 makes of them and whether they think the Red is the better option there.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #3,138 of 3,190
LZ A6 Mini is way better than R1. Have not heard R1Z but I believe it's even wonkier in the upper mids than R1.
Seriously?! Wow.

Thanks for saving me £150! :)

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #3,140 of 3,190
IMO and YMMV, of course.
Of course, thanks.

I think I'm one of the few people who prefer, well, only use, the red bass filter on the A6 mini.... wonderfully dark and intimate. The neutral filter is just too airy, and I prefer the similar airy presentation from the Spring 1.

I think the zenith is supposed to be better all round to its predecessor, but for that kind of money id want something clearly better, and not just maybe better.

Thanks.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #3,142 of 3,190
I'm thinking I need to check the A6 if I see them cheap sometime. They look like a chi fi IMR.

I haven't heard them to compare to but yesterday listening to the R1 and R2 the R2 was a long way ahead. The Aten are great tho and still punch above their weight. I hadn't listened to the R1 for a while and I was quite surprised how bad the highs were compared to the R2. Both were on black filters and same cable. I found the R1 quite fatiguing after a while and was glad to get the R2 back in. I still think a used R2 is your best option at that price & would be very surprised if the A6 were better but I haven't heard them.

It's always interesting when you go back to something you loved after a while when better versions have come out. I used the R1 daily for over a year and could listen to them for hours. But in my minds ear I would have said they were better than I found them yesterday before I put them in.

Funny thing is last night I met a friend who happened to be there when I tried the R1 for the first time and always brings up the smile that came on my face when I heard them.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #3,143 of 3,190
Sorry, just to clarify, Lz A6 mini was mentioned.....lz A6 is 3x the price of the mini and apparently much better (as you would hope given the price). Lz A6 mini is a silly price though at $50.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #3,144 of 3,190
I'm thinking I need to check the A6 if I see them cheap sometime. They look like a chi fi IMR.

I haven't heard them to compare to but yesterday listening to the R1 and R2 the R2 was a long way ahead. The Aten are great tho and still punch above their weight. I hadn't listened to the R1 for a while and I was quite surprised how bad the highs were compared to the R2. Both were on black filters and same cable. I found the R1 quite fatiguing after a while and was glad to get the R2 back in. I still think a used R2 is your best option at that price & would be very surprised if the A6 were better but I haven't heard them.

It's always interesting when you go back to something you loved after a while when better versions have come out. I used the R1 daily for over a year and could listen to them for hours. But in my minds ear I would have said they were better than I found them yesterday before I put them in.

Funny thing is last night I met a friend who happened to be there when I tried the R1 for the first time and always brings up the smile that came on my face when I heard them.
Love your phrase. The Minds Ear ...
Bravo

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #3,145 of 3,190
Wow. That's a bold statement, especially in this thread. I love it :relaxed: Anyone here agree?

Well I don't but then again I rarely agree with Mr. Delicious :rolling_eyes: (no offense we just have different hearing and taste) Not that his thoughts don't have merit but I just don't think my LZ A6 Mini is 1/3 the Zenith's (I don't think my A6 Mini is better than my old A4's) but you get what you like and don't listen to anyone else. After being on Head-fi since 2007 I have reviewers I trust based on what they hear and I've bought too and I get close to the same results but in his follow up post he did state ymmv and of course we all hear them just a little differently. Not sure this would apply to Mr. "D" but many on Head-Fi would not buy anything from Bob based on the Trinity Audio debacle but the man does make, design and tune a killer iem IMO. My experience was different than some at Trinity as I have/had no less than 8 Trinity models but was never burned in the demise of that company (that's a wee lie as I did not ever see my $10 pound Icarus DAC thingy) but I kind of saw the writing on the wall when Bob's financial baker started to flake, sadly many were waiting on some expensive gears that never reached them and that was a travesty but then again I also felt anyone paying attention when trouble reared it's ugly head should have been cautious but he recovered and offers the same communication and support he always tried to provide at Trinity. I feel his iem's speak for themselves but as mentioned in this hobby do whats makes you comfortable. :beerchug:

@prionsarebad " Lz A6 mini is a silly price though at $50. " A bargain at that price but the A6 is truly more comparable and closer to the Zenith's than the Mini.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #3,146 of 3,190
I know the history, but I've no baggage with Bob personally. I just really did not like the R1. I would like to try his newer products some day, they do look interesting.

Jun 25, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #3,148 of 3,190
Hi guys, for those of you that live in US for your interest I have a nice pair of R1 for sale among other things

Jun 25, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #3,149 of 3,190
I let my son a/b the EE Bravado and the Rah. He said he liked the bass of the Rah much better than the Bravado. I mean like, snatched the Bravado out of his ear and grabbed the Rah.

My Rah's didn't come with the bottoms filtered and while trying all the upper filters, I decided to hold the Rah to my ears without any filter. After listening I couldn't figure why he made those filters in the first place. None of the filters i used were satisfying also, they've only been burned in for 125 hours. These iems will hold me until the Semper is on order as these for sure, will be special! And if it gets any better than this, I will keep my $5000.00! These are indeed and without a doubt, GIANT KILLERS!!!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back