IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 23, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #2,236 of 3,190
I did not like the silver cable that Bob sent us in the replacement and that's why we bought this Removable Cable Headphones, **** 8 Core Silver Replacement Earphone Replacement Cable with 0.78mm 2 Pin 2.5mm Plug for KZ ZST AS10 ZSA ZS6 ZS10 (2Pin 2.5) https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07D573TTD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-VtCCbT413AER When I try it, you draw the conclusions here.

Do you have any improvement in sound with this cable? Or is it just a functional improvement?

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,237 of 3,190
I was one of the first to receive a pair of the zeneths and have quite a bit of head time with them and have tried many many variations of this and that (cables/tips/open back/closed back) and I have to say the biggest thing I noticed isn't so much what the cable is made out of but more of the gauge of the cable thicker cable gave more umph.. If you're looking for a more portable option I would rec the trn bluetooth neckband doesn't kill sq and is much easier and cost effective then anything else I tried. The Radsone clip on was nice but you still got a long cable attached to it and at that point I'm just going to plug it into my phone. Tip wise I've found the foam tips it came with to be the most comfortable and least harsh sounding (these iems are not forgiving for bad recordings) of all of them I've tried (spinfit/comply/dekoni/fiio/imr). Didn't notice anything burn in wise, sounded the same day one as day idk 53 at this point?

What I highly rec is these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E4TS360/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it lines the IEM up to where it's super easy to get in the right position in your ears. That was my biggest complaint throughout the time having them so far, but, with these scoop and swoop and they are in and staying put.

If you have any questions on these please ask me, I don't think there is a combo I haven't tried at this point.

EDIT: Stay tooned have the U12T's incoming Monday!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #2,238 of 3,190
Interesting that many here are preferring foam tips. My Zenith should be arriving in the next day or so and I hate foam tips. The R1 treble could be harsh at times but not enough to detract from the entire presentation. Have you all tried a narrow bore silicone such as the Final Audio tips and stepped down a size?

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #2,239 of 3,190
I've upgraded the cable on my zeniths. It's made a difference but nothing fundamental

Thanks for your experience. I have the 8 core copper cable that has been mentioned here coming tomorrow, so will see if there are any improvements in sound. Never had or tried a copper cable before. I did connect my 8 wire silver litz cable and only noticed minor improvement. My Zenith sounded perfect right out of the box, but just recently I have noticed an issue with sound quality. I know they are in phase from performing the test posted here, so that’s not it. Will see if I can fix the problem before asking for a replacement. As has been commented on here tip type makes a huge difference in sound. Rather unusual with my limited experience.

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #2,240 of 3,190
Thanks for your experience. I have the 8 core copper cable that has been mentioned here coming tomorrow, so will see if there are any improvements in sound. Never had or tried a copper cable before. I did connect my 8 wire silver litz cable and only noticed minor improvement. My Zenith sounded perfect right out of the box, but just recently I have noticed an issue with sound quality. I know they are in phase from performing the test posted here, so that’s not it. Will see if I can fix the problem before asking for a replacement. As has been commented on here tip type makes a huge difference in sound. Rather unusual with my limited experience.
I've tried it with a few cables and the effect audio made the most noticeable difference. It definitely improved the depth and instrument placement. I've only used them balanced though so I have no experience single ended.

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #2,241 of 3,190
I've tried it with a few cables and the effect audio made the most noticeable difference. It definitely improved the depth and instrument placement. I've only used them balanced though so I have no experience single ended.

I looked at the Ares II a couple weeks ago as I’ve heard good comments about it. Perhaps should have bought it as the price was on sale for about $135 at musicteck.com. and now it is $300. I really like the smaller profile of the Zenith and fit. Have settled on the black filter and double flange tips so far. Just does not sound as great as previously for some reason. Will be going back and retracing my steps from when I first received the Zenith.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #2,243 of 3,190
I have been listening to my IT04 since receiving them last July as they are the best sounding that I own. Stopped since getting my Zenith several weeks ago, but only to see how good they sound. I might be wrong, but not sure you can compare the two evenly mainly because the cable that comes with the IT04 is of a much higher quality. But seeing your comment decided to compare anyway. I think the IT04 and Zenith could be compared favorably. The Zenith to me have just as much detail. Mids perhaps more forward. I do have a higher quality cable coming Sunday, so will do another test listen and comment any differences. Hope this helps a little.
How do they compare without taking cable consideration into it? I've been close to pulling the trigger on the ibasso for a few weeks cos I heard they match super well with ibasso daps.

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #2,244 of 3,190
How do they compare without taking cable consideration into it? I've been close to pulling the trigger on the ibasso for a few weeks cos I heard they match super well with ibasso daps.

Thinking back to when I first received my Zenith and over the first few weeks, I think they are similar in noticeing details and having a clear, clean sound. Only difference I have experienced is less overall bass and slightly recessed mids.

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,245 of 3,190
Thinking back to when I first received my Zenith and over the first few weeks, I think they are similar in noticeing details and having a clear, clean sound. Only difference I have experienced is less overall bass and slightly recessed mids.
So overall would you say it's best to pick something other than the ibasso?

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #2,246 of 3,190
So overall would you say it's best to pick something other than the ibasso?
Personally I would definantly buy them again from listening to them over the past 8 months.
The IT04 is the best that I have listened to so far. Or at least until I fix the issue with my Zenith. I think they are a great buy and probably should cost several hundred dollars more.

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #2,247 of 3,190
A couple of days ago I sent Bob my first Zenith. Regardless of the mistakes Bob may have made in quality control, I sincerely believe that he has behaved admirably and reacted brilliantly to face the problems.
I understand that at first, and in the situation of panic that I suppose he had to suffer, he reacted in an absolutely crazy and impulsive way, sending various emails without really knowing where the problem was, or how to solve it.
That's why I decided to return the first unit, to me it seems the most honest. In fact, I paid for a Zenith, not for two Zenith plus an additional balanced cable.

Let each one do what he / she wants, but I have decided that because it is what my conscience told me. I do not think Bob is a multinational, or that he has become a millionaire selling headphones. I think a passionate more like us.

By the way, shipping by Certified Letter from Spain only costs 5.5 €

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #2,248 of 3,190
I looked at the Ares II a couple weeks ago as I’ve heard good comments about it. Perhaps should have bought it as the price was on sale for about $135 at musictek.com. and now it is $300. I really like the smaller profile of the Zenith and fit. Have settled on the black filter and double flange tips so far. Just does not sound as great as previously for some reason. Will be going back and retracing my steps from when I first received the Zenith.
the site is actually musicteck.com and the Ares II is still 135$ the 300$ price is for the 8 strand version! the cheaper one is still a fantastic cable, highly recommended!!!

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #2,250 of 3,190
Youre welcome! Andrew at Musicteck is very knowledgable, as is his staff. the Ares II cable was a big upgrade for my Oriolus MK2 and changed the sound
for the better at a decent price. The Eros cable from Effect apparently creates even better tone improvement, but is more expensive. as much as i like
the R1 and the Zenith, the Oriolus MK2 is still the best iem i have heard, esp. with the cable upgrade, and is in TOTL category. too bad they are sold out of it now.
The Zenith is great (v 1 not upgraded by Bob yet).. but sounds metallic in the mids compared to the analogue like sweetness of the Oriolus MK2. both match
really really well with the Opus #1 metal edition which is still available at a remarkably low price from Musicteck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back