IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 23, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #2,252 of 3,190
I'm glad I don't believe in all this cable nonsense but more power to those that do. My wallet definitely thanks me that is for sure.

Cables, hours of burning, sources and amplifiers with esoteric properties ...

The manufacturers rub their hands with all this. Every time they read comments of this kind in the eyes, they see $$$ as well as Donald Duck's uncle.

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #2,254 of 3,190
I only say that I do not believe in the Tarot, I only believe in what they show me and it is verifiable and measurable. There is not a single measure that confirms neither the burned nor the miraculous cables.

Remember that as you told me, I have a serious ear problem, so I do not need cables beyond comfort or aesthetics. It's the luck of the deaf.

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #2,255 of 3,190
Youre welcome! Andrew at Musicteck is very knowledgable, as is his staff. the Ares II cable was a big upgrade for my Oriolus MK2 and changed the sound
for the better at a decent price. The Eros cable from Effect apparently creates even better tone improvement, but is more expensive. as much as i like
the R1 and the Zenith, the Oriolus MK2 is still the best iem i have heard, esp. with the cable upgrade, and is in TOTL category. too bad they are sold out of it now.
The Zenith is great (v 1 not upgraded by Bob yet).. but sounds metallic in the mids compared to the analogue like sweetness of the Oriolus MK2. both match
really really well with the Opus #1 metal edition which is still available at a remarkably low price from Musicteck!
Out of interest have you heard the forsteni? I can get hold of oriolus and would be interested to hear an impartial opinion

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #2,256 of 3,190
I only say that I do not believe in the Tarot, I only believe in what they show me and it is verifiable and measurable. There is not a single measure that confirms neither the burned nor the miraculous cables.

Remember that as you told me, I have a serious ear problem, so I do not need cables beyond comfort or aesthetics. It's the luck of the deaf.
Must be. Anyway I'd rather not get into an argument with you as I can barely understand what you're saying. Have a lovely weekend.

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #2,257 of 3,190
If you get something from switching cables then do it! I for one hated the cable that came with the Zeneth the rubbery feel drove me crazy.

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #2,258 of 3,190
If you get something from switching cables then do it! I for one hated the cable that came with the Zeneth the rubbery feel drove me crazy.
+1 but didn't get a silver replacement.

Out of interest how do you feel about soundstsage? Does it exist?

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #2,260 of 3,190
Out of interest have you heard the forsteni? I can get hold of oriolus and would be interested to hear an impartial opinion
No i have not heard the Forsteni. i was interested in it but Andrew said his tech heard it and they decided not to carry it because it was
not a worthy upgrade from entry level iems. He strongly recommended going straight to the Oriolus MK2, which came in 7th in one chart of TOTL iems. having auditioned some iems
in the 2K range, im now impressed that this ranking was not an accident or rogue evaluation. it makes me dance in my seat, it has bass slam and details galore, and with the
Effect cable a really on point tone. if you contact musictech, tell Andrew i recommended you and this product and he may offer you a discount if he can get one. but i know other
folks like the Forsteni, so as Mark Twain wrote, "you pays your money and you takes your choice!"

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #2,261 of 3,190
No i have not heard the Forsteni. i was interested in it but Andrew said his tech heard it and they decided not to carry it because it was
not a worthy upgrade from entry level iems. He strongly recommended going straight to the Oriolus MK2, which came in 7th in one chart of TOTL iems. having auditioned some iems
in the 2K range, im now impressed that this ranking was not an accident or rogue evaluation. it makes me dance in my seat, it has bass slam and details galore, and with the
Effect cable a really on point tone. if you contact musictech, tell Andrew i recommended you and this product and he may offer you a discount if he can get one. but i know other
folks like the Forsteni, so as Mark Twain wrote, "you pays your money and you takes your choice!"
byw, the HYLA 5 made by the same professional Japanese audio manufacturer, came in above the Oriolus MK2 on that survey. but they only made a few and its sold out. one appeared
for sale on head fi this week however for 750.$ and they have three new models but they are 1200$ and very limited editions. if you can find a used Oriolus MK2 go for it!

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #2,262 of 3,190
byw, the HYLA 5 made by the same professional Japanese audio manufacturer, came in above the Oriolus MK2 on that survey. but they only made a few and its sold out. one appeared
for sale on head fi this week however for 750.$ and they have three new models but they are 1200$ and very limited editions. if you can find a used Oriolus MK2 go for it!
I can get hold of them. I used to deal in hifi so I know a few folks from those days. Thanks for the info and recommendation. Fantastic response to my question. It sounds exactly how I like my headphones, IEMs to sound. Musical and easy going treble.

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #2,263 of 3,190
I can get hold of them. I used to deal in hifi so I know a few folks from those days. Thanks for the info and recommendation. Fantastic response to my question. It sounds exactly how I like my headphones, IEMs to sound. Musical and easy going treble.
The treble can be a little hot on poor recordings with the Oriolus, but EQ works great on it! i have been involved with high end audio for years and test high end gear for an award winning local manufacturer.
i also produce live concerts and do house concerts (see 3SidedWhole.com). the Oriolus MK2 has the "magic" of making me sing along and tap my feet while listening! wonderful layering and musicality.
the Zenith (version 1) still has a way to go in the midrange tonality and decay of the instruments to sound more analogue, but is sure a fun listen. its more like a picasso painting with different planes of instruments looking forward to the upgrade Oriolus which is still on the way to USA. , the
Oriolius has the textures and planes, but you can close your eyes and dream or dance with it! that said, Congratulations to Bob for creating the Zenith at a fair price, responding generously to the
feedback and making good on his product! I have most of the old Trinity iems and Bob keeps evolving his designs in great ways. Im also a big fan of the Audioquest Nighthawks, both closed and open,
which are a steal at the closeout price of 299.00 originally 700, they also have a musicality that is wonderful and my go to headphone for a lot of music.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #2,264 of 3,190
The treble can be a little hot on poor recordings with the Oriolus, but EQ works great on it! i have been involved with high end audio for years and test high end gear for an award winning local manufacturer.
i also produce live concerts and do house concerts (see 3SidedWhole.com). the Oriolus MK2 has the "magic" of making me sing along and tap my feet while listening! wonderful layering and musicality.
the Zenith (version 1) still has a way to go in the midrange tonality and decay of the instruments to sound more analogue, but is sure a fun listen. its more like a picasso painting with different planes of instruments looking forward to the upgrade Oriolus which is still on the way to USA. , the
Oriolius has the textures and planes, but you can close your eyes and dream or dance with it! that said, Congratulations to Bob for creating the Zenith at a fair price, responding generously to the
feedback and making good on his product! I have most of the old Trinity iems and Bob keeps evolving his designs in great ways. Im also a big fan of the Audioquest Nighthawks, both closed and open,
which are a steal at the closeout price of 299.00 originally 700, they also have a musicality that is wonderful and my go to headphone for a lot of music.
You and me both. I desperately wanted to negatively critique the nighthawk before it arrived. The thing is wonderful though. I love old reggae and it plays it superbly. Better than anything else, esoteric or mainstream to my ears. The headphone confuses me mightily. How can it be so dark and so detailed?
Taking your nighthawk appreciation on board I know for sure the oriolus is right for me.
Thank you

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #2,265 of 3,190
Damn - I'm a huge fan of the Nighthawks, and the "fixed" R1 Zenith - looks like the Oriolus MK2 need to go on my bucket list as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back