IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 27, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #2,300 of 3,190
Been listening today with Cayin N5iiS, 2.5mm balanced out with black filters and the Flare Audio audiophile foams.

Been on an acoustic/ laid back vibe, so been listening to Amy Helm's latest and the Alison Krause & Union Station collaboration. Both sound absolutely superb through the Zenith - sweet vocals and a warm, smooth as velvet bass underneath it all. I highly recommend either artist with these IEMs if you like that sort of sound.

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #2,301 of 3,190
I went for the Audiophiles, as mentioned by @Jackpot77 . Looking at the photos these appear to have a premium quality foam.

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/audiophile-replacement-earfoams

Click the "size guide" link as that's important to compare against tips that fit you. I went for large from as these are the same size as the large tips (13mm width) as the large tips that come with the IMR Zenith.

Oh and I ordered from Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N12K4BC/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Thanks for the suggestion (and to everyone who discussed these in past pages) - I placed an order on a set last night for my R1. I still to this day have issues with fit due to eartips, so hoping that these will work for me. A little concerned about the size (ended up settling on large size). I have Spinfits and Spiral Dots, both of which are too small (medium sizes), yet the large size are a bit too big - hope the flare will be just right :|

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #2,302 of 3,190
After listening to my Dunu DK-3001 (Stock 2.5mm balanced), Phantom Hunter (Stock 3.5mm), NiceHCK FR12 (8-core pure silver & 8-core pure copper), and Zenith's (8-core pure silver & 8-core pure copper) back to back on my es100, I have come to conclude that the Zenith's surpass any of the previous IEM's that I have bought. In terms of sound, Zenith > DK-3001 > FR12 > Hunter. The Zenith's simply have better soundstaging with greater oomph at the bass and subbass level whilst still having forward mids that is resolved with great clarity... The NiceHCK FR12 that I got just today from preliminary testing seems veiled in comparison sounding less dynamic with male vocals sounding less natural, and instrument separation more opaque and congested. Female voices seemed muddied over and not nearly as clear as the Zeniths. In this regard even the DK-3001 is far better to me than the FR12 albeit fitment (tends to fall out easily during gym duty) and sound leak is a pet peeve of mine for this set. The FR12 slightly has the advantage over the Hunter with treble not being so harsh but for me the bass/subbass is a toss up between the two.

Long story short, I don't think I will be searching for another set of IEM's after this... That is unless Bob delivers something crazy or better yet *fingers crossed* creates an over ear set of cans I can appreciate.

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #2,303 of 3,190
Long story short, I don't think I will be searching for another set of IEM's after this... That is unless Bob delivers something crazy or better yet *fingers crossed* creates an over ear set of cans I can appreciate.

Interesting and insightful comparison, thanks. My most recent IEMs were the Future Sonics G10 Spectrum and Atrios, and IMR wipe the floor in terms of quality and bass - the sub-bass on the Zenith is unparalleled in my view, I doubt I'll ever hear anything with as much depth, power and clarity.

I'm agreed, I don't think I'll find a better IEM. And I would also love to see an over-ear headphone from IMR, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Feb 27, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #2,307 of 3,190
Ouch. I was waiting for this to pop up. I'm honestly sorry you got stuck like that though @HungryPanda. I'm all good with IMR staying with just IEMs but I am curious about their email this morning that ended with "...future products and boy is there some seriously cool stuff coming!" :thinking:

Planar IEM's are next up.... I'm terrible at keeping secrets.

Feb 27, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #2,309 of 3,190
I have a planar iem, that would be a great way to go. I see quite a few of the small iem planar drivers on chinese sites now. I'm tempted to make one myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back