IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 4, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #1,876 of 3,190
Good service from Bob, he's acted quickly to remedy the matter.

I'll take mine off the classifieds as I've probably got a defective set and wait for the replacement. Still need to find a better tip option though.

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #1,877 of 3,190
Good service from Bob, he's acted quickly to remedy the matter.

I'll take mine off the classifieds as I've probably got a defective set and wait for the replacement. Still need to find a better tip option though.
I always found mandarin single flanges work good for me on the R1. They come in double flanges if its depth your struggling with.

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #1,878 of 3,190
Indeed. There are wholes threads dedicated to tip rolling and the different sound characteristics they bestow.

I know that every model of tips can change the sound, and I took my time to find the best ones for me, copper filters and R1s...but I would never have thought that just a small increase in the size (from M to ML) of the same model would affect the sound so much.

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #1,879 of 3,190
I know that every model of tips can change the sound, and I took my time to find the best ones for me, copper filters and R1s...but I would never have thought that just a small increase in the size (from M to ML) of the same model would affect the sound so much.
It is pretty dramatic and thanks for the feedback on the big bore spirals. It's probably the best thing about iem is the ability to completely change the sound.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #1,880 of 3,190
Cool 2 pair :ksc75smile:

I'm crossing my fingers that mine are good too. Either way, I can have a mirrored and regular outer shell now.

I do wonder what the exact problem is. Bob's email wasn't exactly clear on the technical problem. I've haven't seen an internal dampener/filter on these. Does anyone what he's referring to?

Either way, I'm glad he's got a convenient fix for us! I'm glad we don't have to send them back for repairs. That would have sucked big time.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #1,881 of 3,190
I didn't take mine apart, but when I unscrew the filter you can see a white square of (what I'm guessing) is dampening material.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #1,882 of 3,190
I didn't take mine apart, but when I unscrew the filter you can see a white square of (what I'm guessing) is dampening material.

I think that's the ceramic piezo or at least that's what I always thought it was...

Yes that's what it is... Here's a diagram of a similar iem
Radius-HP-TWF41-2.png

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,884 of 3,190
At this point what I’m worried about is unscrupulous pre-orderers offering the defective units on eBay and spreading a compromised reputation. At the same time I don’t see what Bob can do better; he’s already offering a second set of £500 iems to a lot of people so it’s not like he can offer monetary incentives to return the first batch - not one that would realistically compete with the price these will reach second-hand anyway.

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #1,887 of 3,190
That almost sounds like yours are out of phase imo. Go on YouTube and listen to a in phase test video preferably one with music. If that's the case, grab a torx screwdriver and flip the 2 pin connector. Someone did already have a phase issue here a while back so it's very possible...

Here's a good one I use on those KZs with quality control issues.

I got my Zenith today, and took this test. To me, they definitely sound out of phase. Should the 2 pin connector be flipped only on one side (L or R), or both (L and R)? Thanks for your advice.

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #1,888 of 3,190
Hi @ all,
i received my Zenith today.

just plugged in my togo player (xuelin 780) and with black filter ( mounted default) it's to much bass to me.
i used my R1 with pink and so i screwed in pink and to my ears bass is not as present and powerful as with my R1 .. but at a really good level at all.
maybe better after burn in.
my units don't have harsh or painful high's.. soundwise i think they are ok... that wonderful wow- effect of the r1 however is absent.
but.. what really sucks is:
that golden vent port knob wiggles like crazy if the port isn't full closed or full open ( the vent at his open or closed stop)
The feel is like a 50 cent chi-fi part from aliexpress.
really disappointing and i will contact Bob to talk to him about this issue

so.. maybe the 2nd unit / batch will be better

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #1,889 of 3,190
I think that's the ceramic piezo or at least that's what I always thought it was...

Yes that's what it is... Here's a diagram of a similar iem
Yep your right

Feb 4, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #1,890 of 3,190
At this point what I’m worried about is unscrupulous pre-orderers offering the defective units on eBay and spreading a compromised reputation. At the same time I don’t see what Bob can do better; he’s already offering a second set of £500 iems to a lot of people so it’s not like he can offer monetary incentives to return the first batch - not one that would realistically compete with the price these will reach second-hand anyway.

Yeah, I feel bad for him really. After Trinity, he has worked really hard to improve his image and has done so admirably. On the other hand, I'm not sure what his costs are per unit so maybe it won't be too bad.

Yep your right

I wonder if the ceramic piezo is out of wack. It controls the highs so it could be soldered incorrectly or something. I really wish I knew the tech specs for the error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back