IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 5, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #1,906 of 3,190
As a home fix would this have to include desoldering and desoldering or is it a push on connection? I never stripped down my R1
If it involves soldering count me out. I'd have an easier time pushing a rope up a hill LOL

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #1,907 of 3,190
So, they are out of phase. Simple fix for most with a torx screwdriver. Here's Bobs reply...

Dear Customers,

I do not want to keep bombarding you with emails but I want to keep you up to date.

As you may imagine I was quite horrified when the problem occured with the sound issue on the Zenith. As you may have guessed I take any issue with my product very personally and absolutely do not want any user to be disappointed with the product I have created, these are my babies and want them to be loved.

I went into panic mode when the problem arose and started looking at everything I knew would cause the problem and in turn emailed you and said its this, its that, I shall sort it. The problem with panic mode is that quite often you do not see the problem starring you right it the face holding a big red sign shouting "hey, the problem is here"! Well I did, I missed it, overlooked it and didn't even think it was the issue, didn't even cross my mind. Well aren't I the idiot!

The problem is in almost all cases the right 2 pin connector oriented out of phase. This creates the high pitch nastiness and also what stops the sound stage.

I have checked so many today and made the changes and the sound , once corrected, is just how I intended, beautiful!

So now I have to eat some humble pie (doesn't taste that great by the way) and say ignore everything I have previously said, I was talking rubbish.

Tomorrow I will send one further email to you all with instructions and images of how the pins should be orientated and how the correct wiring from the driver to the 2 pin connector should be so that those who feel inclined and would like to can make this very simple swap and get the sound you paid for. For any of those who do not feel comfortable with this I will send a replacement unit.

Despite what I said in a previous email I will need to collect back any units I ship replacements for but I will cover any reasonable cost by PayPal.

By way of any apology for allowing this to happen I will send all of you a silver plated 2.5mm balanced thin cable.

What i would request now is that no one email until you get the next email tomorrow and advise if you need me to do the swap out.

I am still trying to get to the bottom of who caused this issue and be assured that once I do they will be getting a metaphorical high five in the face.....with a chair!

Although issues like this do muddy the experience somewhat I hope you love them once sorted.

Once again my apologies for this unnecessary problem.

Regards

Bob

And now more delays ensue. For those that suggested people would sell the other pair of Zeniths on ebay really probably scared Bob... Although he will opt to pay for shipping and offer a 2.5mm balanced cable it surely is annoying that he suggests that we can open and rewire the 2 pin if we don't want to wait. Not all of us want or are technically savvy.

One can only hope that if we do opt to send it back that he has units on hand to immediately ship back to us and via express shipping...

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #1,909 of 3,190
I shot him and email and asked if "some" or "all" of the units are out of phase. Here is the reply:

It's not every single one. But after my checking today there is more that are than not.

It's a dead simple fix and will send instructions tomorrow if you wantnto have a go but if not I will send a replacement.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #1,910 of 3,190
The cable connectors at first don't look marked but on the little rubber strain reliefs there is a l and r I always put those to the outside. I can easily see how someone could plug them to be out of phase. I check every iem and earphone using this site: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,911 of 3,190
For people who want to check, this Youtube vid might prove helpful:

It starts posing with phase about half way through - if it sounds "right" and coming from the centre when In Phase is being displayed, the phase is correct. Easy to check by taking out the cable on the RHS earpirce and turning it through 180 degrees before reinserting it - the in phase and out of phase sounds should now be reversed.

Makes more sense when you listen to the vid!

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #1,912 of 3,190

It starts posing with phase about half way through - if it sounds "right" and coming from the centre when In Phase is being displayed, the phase is correct. Easy to check by taking out the cable on the RHS earpirce and turning it through 180 degrees before reinserting it - the in phase and out of phase sounds should now be reversed.

The cables are keyed to only go in one way.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #1,913 of 3,190

Mine sound fine apart from the right sounds a little quieter than the left channel, so I think they’re alright? I don’t fancy taking them apart and it’s a pain sending them back so guess I’ll stick with them.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,914 of 3,190
The cable connectors at first don't look marked but on the little rubber strain reliefs there is a l and r I always put those to the outside. I can easily see how someone could plug them to be out of phase. I check every iem and earphone using this site: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
Thanks for that! I received mine yesterday and plugged them in the night, straining my eyes; never managed to find the marking.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #1,915 of 3,190
Feb 5, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #1,916 of 3,190
But there is a little nipple thing that guides the connector into the iem so surely you can't put it in wrong.

I for one prefer Bob not sending second units because it would devalue our units and potentially tarnish IMR reputation from dud units being sold on.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #1,918 of 3,190
The cables are keyed to only go in one way.

They are keyed, but can be inserted both ways (I got a Zenith on the weekend, so have tried it befits posting the last vid). Mine sounds ok, so waiting to see if there is sobering I missed when Bob emails out the fix instructions. Seems I might have got a good one (not spent enough time with it yet to judge the highs or stage).

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #1,920 of 3,190
Ye
They are keyed, but can be inserted both ways (I got a Zenith on the weekend, so have tried it befits posting the last vid). Mine sounds ok, so waiting to see if there is sobering I missed when Bob emails out the fix instructions. Seems I might have got a good one (not spent enough time with it yet to judge the highs or stage).

Like you, I've tried flipping the cable around 180 degrees, and using the polarity test above and comparing to the R1's I have, I can tell that the polarity was fine with them the way they are keyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back