IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 5, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #1,921 of 3,190
if your worried about sodering you can just take an exacto knife and trim the hump off the stump and turn the cable around.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #1,923 of 3,190
but modding is fun!

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,924 of 3,190
Sorry I don't want to create a lot of noise in this thread, but switching the pins around on the right earpiece has not helped the situation for me.

I've tested the polarity youtube test, and playing music, and it sounds downright wrong with the pins the wrong way around.

I'm not convinced I have a problem so I'm going to continue to burn in - certainly burn in so far has reduced the harsher mid-high frequencies but I'm not yet clear on why the sound stage sounds a bit narrower than the R1s. More burn in!

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #1,925 of 3,190
Sorry I don't want to create a lot of noise in this thread, but switching the pins around on the right earpiece has not helped the situation for me.

I've tested the polarity youtube test, and playing music, and it sounds downright wrong with the pins the wrong way around.

I'm not convinced I have a problem so I'm going to continue to burn in - certainly burn in so far has reduced the harsher mid-high frequencies but I'm not yet clear on why the sound stage sounds a bit narrower than the R1s. More burn in!
I've got an after market cable I can try as well. I will update in the next few hours if it makes any difference with mine.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,926 of 3,190
I'm using an aftermarket cable with orange filters. Tried black with foam like someone suggested... not as much a fan.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #1,927 of 3,190
I'm using an aftermarket cable with orange filters. Tried black with foam like someone suggested... not as much a fan.
I can confirm mine are drastically improved to the point of actually being able to use the blue filter since switching pin orientation on my aftermarket cable. I still want them oriented correctly internally however so will wait to see what Bob says tomorrow regarding the home fix or return..

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,928 of 3,190
Friends, I don't know about you, but I am 100% going to send back the unit for replacement. Firstly, we have now been told that the issue is in "almost all cases" a problem with the 2 pin orientation which is an indication that this is not inclusive of all the other various problems. If you choose to fix it yourself, who is to say that you still do not have a problem with the original two errors that he specifically stated with the prior emails(manufacturing QC with filters, problems with internal port filter)? I don't know about you guys but this kind of feels like a patch job in order to recoup and cut losses because one thing is for sure: no one knows how the sound is intended on a 100% functioning unit. Let's say you fixed the 2 pin orientation, are there still problems with your filters then? Is there still the port filter issue within the unit themselves? The fact that he stated these problems within previous emails and then releases another one with a tone of disregard towards the first two emails to me seems fishy. Is Bob trying to say his inspection of the units produced two notable errors he found which suddenly fixed themselves after he fixed the 2 pin orientation?

Fellow Head-fiers, I plead you to think this through before going through with the DIY fix. It doesn't sound like there is just one problem lurking....

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,929 of 3,190
Friends, I don't know about you, but I am 100% going to send back the unit for replacement. Firstly, we have now been told that the issue is in "almost all cases" a problem with the 2 pin orientation which is an indication that this is not inclusive of all the other various problems. If you choose to fix it yourself, who is to say that you still do not have a problem with the original two errors that he specifically stated with the prior emails(manufacturing QC with filters, problems with internal port filter)? I don't know about you guys but this kind of feels like a patch job in order to recoup and cut losses because one thing is for sure: no one knows how the sound is intended on a 100% functioning unit. Let's say you fixed the 2 pin orientation, are there still problems with your filters then? Is there still the port filter issue within the unit themselves? The fact that he stated these problems within previous emails and then releases another one with a tone of disregard towards the first two emails to me seems fishy. Is Bob trying to say his inspection of the units produced two notable errors he found which suddenly fixed themselves after he fixed the 2 pin orientation?

Fellow Head-fiers, I plead you to think this through before going through with the DIY fix. It doesn't sound like there is just one problem lurking....

Bingo! And for the same reason you can't be sure that you'll receive a state-of-the-art new Zenith instead of a fixed Zenith if you'll send them back

Feb 5, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #1,930 of 3,190
Dear Customers,

Last email update.

Tomorrow I will start shipping your replacement units.

It seems that despite best intentions my last email has caused more confusion than I intended and is not what I want for you or me.

It will take me a few days to get them all shipped and personally checked by me so hang in there.

I will not request you return the others unless you chose to do so.

Thank you for patience and I look forward to hearing your views on your replacements.

Regards

Bob

Feb 5, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #1,933 of 3,190

Well why not let Bob send out new ones and if those work then do a DIY on the pair he said you did not have to return if you did not want too? That point and statement alone would be worth the wait IMO:thinking: QC has plagued Bob in the past sourcing a quality product caused issues at TA and now they are happening again but before everyone gets on the bash and slash train maybe let him rectify the situation and then if he fails to come through you can do what you have to:rolling_eyes: Fortunately for me I've had zero issue with either my original R1 or Zeniths now:thumbsup:

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #1,934 of 3,190
Well, obviously this is incredible customer support, but I have sent him an e-mail stating to exclude me from recieving a replacement. Got mine just yesterday and absolutely perfect sounding to me with only about 22hrs burn in. The Zenith has solved any issues I have had with the R1 and any other IEM I have owned. Quite frankly thought it was my ear sensitivities, but zero issues with the Zenith. Totally satisfied customer here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back