IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 5, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #1,951 of 3,190
Unfortunately inconsistency in QC is like playing Russian Roulette! One never knows which one will be good or bad (never know which is worse a whole batch being shot or just one here and there), problem is for small companies it's hard to have a whole devoted QC team monitoring output and shipments and it's like a leap of faith for an owner and as he has mentioned he'll step in and spend more of his time testing for QC before sending a replacement and hopefully have future orders sent through him for testing too however that creates the new issue of time to receive for the customer. It's like damned if you do and doubled damned if you don't:thinking:

That is wonderful. The nature of small batch builds like this is that I know alot of these are being hand built in China by technicians that might be inexperienced but able to produce in massive quantities in relatively little time. The fact that Bob will oversee and put time into double checking the work is definitely comforting and a way to ensure his quality of design and product of sound

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #1,952 of 3,190
Well I've just fixed mine. All you need to do is unscrew the 3 torx screws and flip over the 2 pin connector inside. Easier than typing this out. I will be letting Bob know that I don't need a replacement in the morning. In my case it was the right channel. One quick check with the footsteps from the start of Jackos Thriller should confirm which side is off.

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,953 of 3,190
This might sound dumb, but I did the polarity test and in phase sounds centered out of phase sounds down center? That make sense to anyone?
Yeah that’s what I heard too, kinda sounds like the audio is pointing inwards.
I’m 90% sure mine are fault free but when you get that niggle it’s hard to shake it off. Will compare then send one back like others seems the fairest way for both

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,954 of 3,190
My comment was made before Bob sent out the final email saying he would honor his prior email to resend replacement regardless of the functioning conditions of all previous sets. His previous email seemed to sanctify that the prior problems before didn't exist before and that a DIY fix would alleviate all other potential problems that existed hence my comment. I thank you for your suggestion in keeping both to see if there is a noticeable difference in sound between pre and post shipment of Zenith's to us.

I am much like many of you folks on the same boat just wanting the product that Bob had intended to deliver and wanted to eliminate any discrepenices of what we know as the Zenith's.

I too came in late to this thread and someone who knows me and my collection told me of the issues going on in here. But like I mentioned before things in the online world can spiral quickly even before Bob had a chance to reply. The only reason I chimed in as I for sure know how fast things get triggered and miss construed so I just wanted everyone to slow down and take a breath as well as give the man a little response time. Nothing more as I’ve had one of the first Zenith’s sent just like my R1’s before that. I’m sure Bob will make right with everyone.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 5, 2019, at 4:59 PM, Head-Fi.org <notifications@mail2.head-fi.org> wrote:

Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Podster, bestbacon replied to your post at Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org.

IMR - R1 Thread

Podster
Well why not let Bob send out new ones and if those work then do a DIY on the pair he said you did not have to return if you did not want too? That point and statement alone would be worth the wait IMO:thinking: QC has plagued Bob in the past sourcing a quality product caused issues at TA and now they are happening again but before everyone gets on the bash and slash train maybe let him rectify the situation and then if he fails to come through you can do what you have to:rolling_eyes: Fortunately for me I've had zero issue with either my original R1 or Zeniths now:thumbsup:

My comment was made before Bob sent out the final email saying he would honor his prior email to resend replacement regardless of the functioning conditions of all previous sets. His previous email seemed to sanctify that the prior problems before didn't exist before and that a DIY fix would alleviate all other potential problems that existed hence my comment. I thank you for your suggestion in keeping both to see if there is a noticeable difference in sound between pre and post shipment of Zenith's to us.

I am much like many of you folks on the same boat just wanting the product that Bob had intended to deliver and wanted to eliminate any potential discrepenices of what we know as the Zenith's.
View This Thread
Please do not reply to this email. You must visit Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org to reply.

This message was sent to you because you opted to be notified when your user name is mentioned, with email notification.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable them in your account settings.

Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #1,955 of 3,190
Someone could just clarify this "out-of-phase" thing? It happens when only one driver has the cable that is inverted? if it's on both of them, then is again "in phase"? thanks

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #1,956 of 3,190
I'm using an aftermarket cable with orange filters. Tried black with foam like someone suggested... not as much a fan.

Lol! Did you use my triple flange setup as recommended? I know they're weird to get used to but it takes about a week. With those, the bass is insane and superb isolation.

Well I've just fixed mine. All you need to do is unscrew the 3 torx screws and flip over the 2 pin connector inside. Easier than typing this out. I will be letting Bob know that I don't need a replacement in the morning. In my case it was the right channel. One quick check with the footsteps from the start of Jackos Thriller should confirm which side is off.

Lol! I like that you used Thriller as your phase tester. And it's very easy to fix. We do this in the KZ thread all the time.

Someone could just clarify this "out-of-phase" thing? It happens when only one driver has the cable that is inverted? if it's on both of them, then is again "in phase"? thanks

Yes, it's only one side. It sounds higher pitched and weird. It's just how some were describing their sound issue after listening to the YouTube phase test video. I just got mine in and they're in phase and sound good. I've very thrilled by build quality of the housing. The sound seems very similar to the R1 only maybe slightly cleaner. I think that's due to the vents working better. No more driver flex for me so I'm happy. I'll be doing my mmcx mod and mirror polish soon. That will probably be this weekend though. I had a long day at work. Does anyone want some pictures of the 2 pin flipping process or is everyone clear on this? Let me know. I don't mind and am here to help the less technical folks if needed...

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,957 of 3,190
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #1,958 of 3,190
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #1,959 of 3,190
That's fracking nuts, I have a door on either side of me and they both sounded like they were being knocked on
I had the volume on my laptop turned up and that first knock about gave me a heart attack LOL

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #1,960 of 3,190
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #1,961 of 3,190
I hear you and hopefully it truly it is just the one issue and only on a few sets but as we all know the shear weight of a train on the decline gains momentum quickly, best bet is to let the man take care of it his way because he has always come through for me:wink: I'd like to think I have a good history here:beerchug:

Nice Trinity collection! Which are the ones you like best (R1 included)?

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #1,962 of 3,190
This might sound dumb, but I did the polarity test and in phase sounds centered out of phase sounds down center? That make sense to anyone?

I had the reverse, but I don't even know at this point what that means. I just received my Zenith today, after reading all of Bob's emails, so I had no idea what was going on since I haven't been keeping up with this thread. One thing I do know is that I am experiencing major driver flex/crinkling on both sides and vocals sound off, almost like they're in a tunnel.

Feb 5, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,963 of 3,190
Nice Trinity collection! Which are the ones you like best (R1 included)?

Is this one of those sheriff Bart/Waco Kid questions? I must, I must!
So let’s go:
1 - Zenith, Black Filter No Choke, Med. Auvio Tips
2 - Icarus III, Black Filter No Choke,
Med. Auvio Tips
3 - Delta V2, Gold Filter No Choke,
Lg. Auvio Tips
4 - R1, Gun Metal Filter W/Choke,
Lg. Auvio Tips
5 - Masters, Long Gun Metal W/Choke, Med. Orange Core Tips
6 - Vyrus V2, Long Black No Choke,
Med. Orange Core Tips
7 - Vyrus V1, Gun Metal W/Choke,
Lg. Yellow Core Tips

These are the seven of Bob’s iem’s I’ve kept and enjoy, the filter & tips are what my ears like and may not be for everyone so take my choices with a grain. I have given away my Delta V1, Hyperion, Sabre, Phantom Master 4 and my 17 year old went through 3 pair of Techne’s and always cable failure from wadding in his pocket! Can’t tell ypu how many times his mother washed them and they always worked:wink:

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #1,964 of 3,190
Well, I feel stupid now. Mine was out of phase too. The funny thing is I didn’t even notice it on my Samsung Note 9. It must have been the Dolby Atmos setting that compensated for the disguise in sound. I ran out of battery watching Dragon Ball Z lol and switched to my iPad. Something sounded off. The sound was not in the right position, bass was lacking, etc. I thought it might be a crappy episode dub but I decided to try the phase video again. The music sounded like a tunnel and you couldn’t place the instruments at all like a concert (reverb) setting. This is the definition of out of phase for sure. I grabbed my torx screw driver and flipped the connector on the right side and problem solved. Just like the R1, the positive side is facing the vent dial if looking at the iem head on. So, basically, your source & Dolby settings matter and could explain why some are having and issue and others don’t notice it all. Bob said most of the units are out of phase on the right side so your chances aren’t good. Again, you don’t have to solder anything. Just flip the connector. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #1,965 of 3,190
I'm still waiting on my Zeniths, but once they arrive I may try the fix myself if they are out of phase. Would anyone here be willing to post some pics of how the repair is done? I know there's no soldering involved (thank God) but I'd still rather know for sure I do it right and won't have to open the housing up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back