IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 3, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #1,846 of 3,190
That's what most of us wanted myself included. Unfortunately I can't for one second think of this as an improvement or even an alternative. I can see Ebay being flooded with these. They are harsh and metallic, the sound staging has shrunk considerably in width, possibly a little in depth and the height is literally none existant. After 6 days of burn in I'm resigned to the fact that this is the signature and I'm going to have to go and pick up a ibasso IT04 or possibly score another R1.
No more preorders for me from now on.

I've been burning these in and have completely the same impression.... no sound stage width, no height, it all sounds very central. The quality is good, the bass and treble are fine, but compared to the R1 they lack space which leads to a sense of no fun whatsoever. I got Bob's email too but I can't see how filters can fix this.

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #1,847 of 3,190
I have an idea, remove the thin sheath filter off of the orange ones and stick the copper foam filter inside. If you still have the R1, simply try those filters instead. We can solve this very quickly IF it is the filters....

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #1,848 of 3,190
I've been burning these in and have completely the same impression.... no sound stage width, no height, it all sounds very central. The quality is good, the bass and treble are fine, but compared to the R1 they lack space which leads to a sense of no fun whatsoever. I got Bob's email too but I can't see how filters can fix this.

That almost sounds like yours are out of phase imo. Go on YouTube and listen to a in phase test video preferably one with music. If that's the case, grab a torx screwdriver and flip the 2 pin connector. Someone did already have a phase issue here a while back so it's very possible...

Here's a good one I use on those KZs with quality control issues.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #1,849 of 3,190
I've not had the email from Bob but listened to them on Fri for a bit with about 50 hours on them. The driver flex was the biggest issue which is something the R1 didn't suffer from, at least not as bad. I must say however although they aren't as bassy as the R1 I don't get the trebble issues other's have experienced. I won't touch them now until Thu, at which point they'll have had 150 hours on them so I'm hoping the flex has gone and they've opened up a bit.

Feb 4, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #1,850 of 3,190
Still I have not received the zenih but I am disappointed by everything what is happening, if before receiving them there came to me an e-mail from which it is necessary to change the filters badly, do not believe that with the filters the forages could be placed. That rushes in the purchase without

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #1,851 of 3,190
Still I did not receive the zenih but I am disappointed by everything what is happening, if already before receiving them a mail came to me from that it is necessary to change the filters badly we go neither I believe that with the filters it could arrange fodder that one precipitates in the purchase without
Come again?

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #1,852 of 3,190
That almost sounds like yours are out of phase imo. Go on YouTube and listen to a in phase test video preferably one with music. If that's the case, grab a torx screwdriver and flip the 2 pin connector. Someone did already have a phase issue here a while back so it's very possible...

Here's a good one I use on those KZs with quality control issues.

That test worked fine, I could hear stereo separation and phasing fine. Maybe I overstated the issue and they need more burn in time.

I will try R1 filters on the Zenith too.

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #1,853 of 3,190

Maybe you are right mrchrisg, Bob just released another email saying that there was an issue with the units themselves (port filter) and will be sending buyers a new set complete with accessories (fixed filters I'm assuming). Bob will also extend the return window by 30 days of the receipt of the new set of headphones! So keep the old set tinker with it, get a new one.. now that is great customer support, go Bob and IMR.

Below is quoted from IMR email:

"Dear Customers

Thank you all so much for your emails of support and understanding.

I have done further investigation today and found that the main issue is a port filter internally that is used for tuning.

Now I know the full issue I have decided the following will happen, I will fix all the porting issues and send every buyer a brand new set complete with all accessories and you can keep your current one. I will also extend your option to return until after you have received your new unit which will mean you have 30 days from the date of receipt of replacement, although I'm sure once you hear it you won't want too.

I believe this is a good solution for everyone and hope that this is agreeable to all.

If any of you wish to discuss this with me further I will be happy to do so at info@imracoustics.com

Thank you to you all once again.

Regards

Bob"

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,854 of 3,190
Maybe you are right mrchrisg, Bob just released another email saying that there was an issue with a port filter internally that was used for tuning and will be sending buyers a whole new set complete with accessories (fixed filters I'm assuming). Bob will also extend the return window by 30 days of the receipt of the new set of headphones! Now that is great customer support, go Bob and IMR

Below is quoted from IMR email:

"Dear Customers

Thank you all so much for your emails of support and understanding.

I have done further investigation today and found that the main issue is a port filter internally that is used for tuning.

Now I know the full issue I have decided the following will happen, I will fix all the porting issues and send every buyer a brand new set complete with all accessories and you can keep your current one. I will also extend your option to return until after you have received your new unit which will mean you have 30 days from the date of receipt of replacement, although I'm sure once you hear it you won't want too.

I believe this is a good solution for everyone and hope that this is agreeable to all.

If any of you wish to discuss this with me further I will be happy to do so at info@imracoustics.com

Thank you to you all once again.

Regards

Bob"
Yep top bloke. Can't fault that at all. There is definitely an issue, at least with my pair and to take ownership without any argument is a great service to the community he's manufacturing for. The resolution on even the dodgy ones is good so I'm going to assume that once sorted they will be exactly what we wanted.

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #1,856 of 3,190
Wow, now that's what I call excellent customer support. I didn't receive mine yet, but was already getting kinda worried. But with such service I really wish these will be great!

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #1,857 of 3,190
The thing is Bob is not really required to provide any kind of reimbursement for a product that he already provided. After all this is a pre-order product and there is no guarantee for a product that no one has heard. Yes one can relate that the R1 was something special and technically the Zenith's are supposed to be an evolution with notable fixes. But what Bob has done for us is completely optional. How many chi-fi's have been released with wacky tuning and probably known issues that were justed brushed off or silently alleviated (DMG's come to mind). The fact that is Bob is doing this for us shows he puts us and his reputation and love for sound above all else. After all he is cutting into his own pocket to deliver his image of what a good set of IEM's are supposed to sound like.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #1,858 of 3,190
The thing is Bob is not really required to provide any kind of reimbursement for a product that he already provided. After all this is a pre-order product and there is no guarantee for a product that no one has heard. Yes one can relate that the R1 was something special and technically the Zenith's are supposed to be an evolution with notable fixes. But what Bob has done for us is completely optional. How many chi-fi's have been released with wacky tuning and probably known issues that were justed brushed off or silently alleviated (DMG's come to mind). The fact that is Bob is doing this for us shows he puts us and his reputation and love for sound above all else. After all he is cutting into his own pocket to deliver his image of what a good set of IEM's are supposed to sound like.

I do not agree with some statements you say. If I buy a product in presale, it must be the same final product. Remember that the presale was in deference to the buyers of the R1, a great detail on their part ... but that product has had to be tested and make sure everything is fine.
But as you rightly say, Bob is doing everything he can to keep all of his customers happy. The IMR customer service is great.

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #1,859 of 3,190
I agree with others here praising Bob for taking control of this and making a generous offer to supply a new pair with no return due is to be hugely commended.

For any pre-order owners, that means you have a complete second set of cable, filters and tips. Hopefully the filters themselves are fine.

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,860 of 3,190
Can someone do a proper review? This thread is full of general comments about the superb quality or about the lack of quality of the Zenith. In my opinion, until someone does a proper review (or I receive my unit) this is not very useful.

I haven't received the R1 Zenith yet and I haven't receive the e-mail about the offer of filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back