IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #1,831 of 3,190
Think I’ll be selling on these on if anybody is interested.

Fit is a struggle for me as is overall sound quality although I think that is probably due to my fit issues. I’ve been spoiled by the nice snug fit of the RHA CL2
Well, maybe it's early, but it seems like the Zenith isn't going over as well as I anticipated it would. Hope it works for me. I already sold my R1.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #1,832 of 3,190
Well, maybe it's early, but it seems like the Zenith isn't going over as well as I anticipated it would. Hope it works for me. I already sold my R1.
In my opinion its a completely different earphone to the R1. Other than bass impact it shares little in common with its older brother. Seems more like the ginger step child of the family.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #1,833 of 3,190
I can confirm after a lot of burn-in that the harshness in the Zenith low-treble range is going. However, I'm not sure of the overall quality... I'm going to burn in more then compare to the R1, but so far I'm not sure on the sound quality.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #1,834 of 3,190
In my opinion its a completely different earphone to the R1. Other than bass impact it shares little in common with its older brother. Seems more like the ginger step child of the family.
I think everyone is/was hoping for an improved R1 with no driver flex. I am anyway. Should find out for myself sometime this week.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #1,835 of 3,190
I can say this much... The R1 sounded harsh when I didn't use the foam filters and/or didn't get a good seal. Once I used those and the triple flanges, it is like night and day. I do remember before that being extremely disappointed and wondering why they were recommended in the basshead thread. Now I know better...

My point is... Give them more time and make sure you get a good seal with spinfits, comply, double/triple flange, symbios, etc. before giving up. You can even try filter mods like stitching the foam and/or the flat filter from the orange one. Just some thoughts.

Hopefully, mine don't get stuck in customs too long and get them by the end of the week.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #1,836 of 3,190
I think everyone is/was hoping for an improved R1 with no driver flex. I am anyway. Should find out for myself sometime this week.
That's what most of us wanted myself included. Unfortunately I can't for one second think of this as an improvement or even an alternative. I can see Ebay being flooded with these. They are harsh and metallic, the sound staging has shrunk considerably in width, possibly a little in depth and the height is literally none existant. After 6 days of burn in I'm resigned to the fact that this is the signature and I'm going to have to go and pick up a ibasso IT04 or possibly score another R1.
No more preorders for me from now on.

Feb 3, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #1,837 of 3,190
It seems y'all were right.... Got this from Bob moments ago. Maybe you should use the old filters in the mean time?

3hjMaPZgYs-4DcojFfHJJraoiE-7xZCx9Q4Y5X_nb74o2ze487reP2lmffk6Optbwo4fAAvpfvLmOi3C9Qxr_aEQadqkTQKTcS3ntyreCvyzcAbvN8ywgL2pmrNya3rieW8CBykkzmhNz4rMzOYmJZti27e0ltQePG5g1PYlLN2txCpsQhwiYZ2SPxoDxsY=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear Customers,

Thank you to all the customers who have been in touch with either praise or some concern over the highs on the new Zenith.

I have taken the concerns over the sound very seriously.

I have found the cause of the issue that Some of you have experienced. I have found there is a fault with some of the filters internal diameter and foam. The filters are made to exacting bore sizing, porting and each foam insert is different density and not easily detected by the naked eye.

I will be remaking the filters and sending everyone a new set. This will take me 2-3weeks approximately.

Please note that this doesn't effect everyone but everyone will get a new set regardless.

I want to extend my unreserved apologies.

I will email you all again when I ship your new filters and look forward to wowing you!

In the mean time the copper filter coloured filter seems to be uneffected.

Regards

Bob

Feb 3, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,838 of 3,190
That explains some comments from those who already received the Zenith

Feb 3, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,839 of 3,190
I can say this much... The R1 sounded harsh when I didn't use the foam filters and/or didn't get a good seal. Once I used those and the triple flanges, it is like night and day. I do remember before that being extremely disappointed and wondering why they were recommended in the basshead thread. Now I know better...

My point is... Give them more time and make sure you get a good seal with spinfits, comply, double/triple flange, symbios, etc. before giving up. You can even try filter mods like stitching the foam and/or the flat filter from the orange one. Just some thoughts.

Hopefully, mine don't get stuck in customs too long and get them by the end of the week.
The R1 were not even close to being harsh compared to the Zenith. I could listen to the R1 straight from the box, although a little brittle sounding they were ok. After getting on for 150 hours of burn in and numerous after market tips I think I have pretty much the end result. I hope you're right though and they do improve further. I want them to be good hence the pre order.
It seems y'all were right.... Got this from Bob moments ago. Maybe you should use the old filters in the mean time?

3hjMaPZgYs-4DcojFfHJJraoiE-7xZCx9Q4Y5X_nb74o2ze487reP2lmffk6Optbwo4fAAvpfvLmOi3C9Qxr_aEQadqkTQKTcS3ntyreCvyzcAbvN8ywgL2pmrNya3rieW8CBykkzmhNz4rMzOYmJZti27e0ltQePG5g1PYlLN2txCpsQhwiYZ2SPxoDxsY=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear Customers,

Thank you to all the customers who have been in touch with either praise or some concern over the highs on the new Zenith.

I have taken the concerns over the sound very seriously.

I have found the cause of the issue that Some of you have experienced. I have found there is a fault with some of the filters internal diameter and foam. The filters are made to exacting bore sizing, porting and each foam insert is different density and not easily detected by the naked eye.

I will be remaking the filters and sending everyone a new set. This will take me 2-3weeks approximately.

Please note that this doesn't effect everyone but everyone will get a new set regardless.

I want to extend my unreserved apologies.

I will email you all again when I ship your new filters and look forward to wowing you!

In the mean time the copper filter coloured filter seems to be uneffected.

Regards

Bob
Yeah just got that. If you have the same problem as me a quick fix is the pink foam in the black filter. It's a little too weighty for me bass wise but it's a lot easier to listen to. The orange is OK but it throws a veil over them that take the life out of the sound. Thats my opinion anyway so as all things audio YMMV

Feb 3, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #1,840 of 3,190
I was wondering What you were all talking about. I even had my wife (most sensitive ears on the planet) listen to them for treble bleed and she didnt notice any.

Feb 3, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,842 of 3,190
Can someone please test the filters of the R1 with the Zenith?

Feb 3, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #1,843 of 3,190
How are you finding them if you don't mind me asking. Obviously I have the dodgy filters. Are they an improvement over the R1?
I never had the original r1s, my points of reference are the fh5, Solaris, and some various others dm6, fender 9 etc... So for me, I found the fh5 to be valed a bit and as my wife would say plasticy. The solaris was the most exciting iem I've heard and with the zeneths I was able to create a similar sound opening the port on the back and going with the orange filter and foam tips. To the point where me my buddy (Solaris owner) and my wife couldn't tell the difference. One thing we all agreed on is that they are super revealing if the recording is of bad quality you know it really quick on these. The brass looking filter were to bass heavy for alot of the music I listen to which is weird to say because I have a DD audio 9515 in my truck. I never used blue or pink since I didn't feel a need to change after I put in the orange.

Feb 3, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #1,844 of 3,190
Dm6s we're too much treble and made me feel like my ears weww going to bleed and fender 9 didn't sound good at all

Feb 3, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #1,845 of 3,190
With these I literally stopped looking at other iems, will say I hated the rubbery cable and the fit is funny but looking at the units, it appears to be the same housing as the original r1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back