[Impression] FiiO E10
Aug 18, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #976 of 1,324
Quote:
Thank you feiao for your note, now almost everything is clear. Only one point, when you say "new batch" ¿you mean the one with the "Olympus" text in the box and the golden connectors? ¿or just having the golden connectors is enough for being a new batch with the improved delay (0.1s)?.

I just contacted the Spanish distributors, and the E10 they supply has golden connectors but not the "Olympus" label in the box. I'm rather confused about this.

The delay time bug is fixed when we change the RCA to golden RCA connectors. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #979 of 1,324
Been loving this E10, but it sounded really bad at first. I won't go there...

Can someone please tell me why the headphone out to my amp sounds way better than the line out?
With the headphone out I get a much larger soundstage and a more neutral sound. Still very good treble, but not overkill.
With the line out to my amp it feels like the mids are way too forward and fatiguing and the soundstage is much smaller.

Is there any technical reason why the headphone out sounds better with my amp?

I'm glad to report that the E10 sounds more neutral than my HRT MSII. With the headphone out jack to my Micro Amp, the soundstage actually sounds larger than the HRT MSII.

What's nice about my Micro Amp is that when I hook the DAC up I can kind of hear it's signture and not so much the amp. Mostly just minimal improvements with no extra coloration.

So far the E10 is a lot more neutral sounding than I expected. I prefer it's amp part to the E11.

It'll be some serious competition for my favorite Total Airhead (I only like with the harder to drive stuff).

BTW this also seems to have more treble than my HRT. It's not harsh and fatiguing though.

Hopefully the E17 has a similar signature, but even better. I love the mids on the E10.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #980 of 1,324
Quote:
Been loving this E10, but it sounded really bad at first. I won't go there...

Can someone please tell me why the headphone out to my amp sounds way better than the line out?
With the headphone out I get a much larger soundstage and a more neutral sound. Still very good treble, but not overkill.
With the line out to my amp it feels like the mids are way too forward and fatiguing and the soundstage is much smaller.

Is there any technical reason why the headphone out sounds better with my amp?

I'm glad to report that the E10 sounds more neutral than my HRT MSII. With the headphone out jack to my Micro Amp, the soundstage actually sounds larger than the HRT MSII.

What's nice about my Micro Amp is that when I hook the DAC up I can kind of hear it's signture and not so much the amp. Mostly just minimal improvements with no extra coloration.

So far the E10 is a lot more neutral sounding than I expected. I prefer it's amp part to the E11.

It'll be some serious competition for my favorite Total Airhead (I only like with the harder to drive stuff).

BTW this also seems to have more treble than my HRT. It's not harsh and fatiguing though.

Hopefully the E17 has a similar signature, but even better. I love the mids on the E10.

This is the complete opposite of what I experienced. The vocals are so far recessed in some songs that it sounds like I am listening to instrumentals.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #981 of 1,324
Hey me too, I paired my Fiio E10 with HD 598 and felt the same feeling with some songs. The mid is still their but looked like it has less impact, or lifeless. That is why I ordered a C421 OPA2227 amplifier to improve the situation by using Fiio E10 as a DAC only.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #982 of 1,324
Quote:
Hey me too, I paired my Fiio E10 with HD 598 and felt the same feeling with some songs. The mid is still their but looked like it has less impact, or lifeless. That is why I ordered a C421 OPA2227 amplifier to improve the situation by using Fiio E10 as a DAC only.

I tried the 598 and it didn't seem to sound nearly as good with the E10 (as a DAC ONLY) as the Q701 and DJ100.
The mids were really forward on the 580 and then when I switched to the 598 my first reaction was "where did my mids go?!". Very strange.

So far I prefer the E10 as a DAC only.

The mids on the HRT MSII are definitely more forward IMO. The E10 has much better mids than my E11 definitely.
What's interesting is that I saw a review saying the E10 had forward mids, but they seemed just right where they sound be. Fairly neutral. The E10 does seem to give my DJ100 a tiny bit of extra bass, but so little that it doesn't bother me at all.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #983 of 1,324
I don't know, but a day after using the E10, my opinion of the E10 has gone downhill further and further...
It seems too focused on the mids and then all my headphones have much more bloated mid-bass. I find this kind of annoying.

The treble seems all there, but yet it's not.. I know this makes no sense.

The line out to my amp is also horrible. It makes the mids even MORE forward and the bass is still rather bloated.

The person who found the mids recessed must have had a bad unit. This one has VERY forward mids to my ears.

So..looks like my Realtek onboard sound, X-Fi Go Pro DAC and my full sized CD players are the most neutral sounding right now.
Sadly my HRT MSII seems similar in signature to the E10. Mids not as forward though.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #984 of 1,324
I don't know, but a day after using the E10, my opinion of the E10 has gone downhill further and further...
It seems too focused on the mids and then all my headphones have much more bloated mid-bass. I find this kind of annoying.

The treble seems all there, but yet it's not.. I know this makes no sense.

The line out to my amp is also horrible. It makes the mids even MORE forward and the bass is still rather bloated.

The person who found the mids recessed must have had a bad unit. This one has VERY forward mids to my ears.

So..looks like my Realtek onboard sound, X-Fi Go Pro DAC and my full sized CD players are the most neutral sounding right now.
Sadly my HRT MSII seems similar in signature to the E10. Mids not as forward though.

I kind of agree with the treble statement, I'm listening right now with GR07 and it does appear a little muted, reminds me of Monster Turbine without EQ. High gain brings the mids forward even more than low which to me appears rather upfront. I never really took much notice and simply enjoyed it compared to the crap that comes my laptop's HO.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #985 of 1,324
So I ordered myself a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro thinking I had a defective E10. Well, I still get recessed mids on the same songs as I did with the E10, but they're not as bad. I now have to assume that it's the songs themselves (which are Apple Lossless files), however, I don't experience the same recession in the mids on these songs when using my iPod classic/E10 combo. The songs sound great actually. My only conclusion is that the better DAC in both the E10 and X-Fi are bringing out the flaws better in these recording than my iPod/E11. 

All in all, I am still going to return the E10. It does have a stronger headphone amp then the X-Fi (neither can really push my DT 990 Pro 250 ohms though like the E10 can), but the features that the X-Fi offer out weigh the simplicity of the E10 for me. Not to mention that I still have to unplug my speakers from the back of the E10 just to use my headphones through it. Is this same for anyone else?

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #986 of 1,324
Just received a brand new E10 today, so far very happy with it, and with the fact that I got a new batch unit (golden connectors and the "Olympus" label). Regarding the delay issue, no delays here at all
beyersmile.png
. Great sound paired with my modded Panasonic HTX7. Day and night in comparison with the laptop headphone jack (Thinkpad T520). Summing up, a must have product and a great value at 65€.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #987 of 1,324
As an update, after some use, the only annoying thing it is the presence of micro sound pulses (sound glitches) when stopping a track and also when dragging the track bar to change the time position while playing.

Configuring the player with DS instead of WASAPI fixes (mostly) the glitches when dragging but not when stopping.

All in all, I can live with that, it happens only when I stop a track, although I wonder if the E17 has the same issue.

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #988 of 1,324
Hi all, 

1.) What should my buffer length be set to when using the E10?

2.) Should my gain be on low or high for a Grado SR60i?

3.) Should I use 16-bit or 24-bit?

4.) Does the gold RCA connector completely fix the time delay?

Thanks,
Shane

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #989 of 1,324

2.) Should my gain be on low or high for a Grado SR60i?

3.) Should I use 16-bit or 24-bit?

4.) Does the gold RCA connector completely fix the time delay?

1. Don't know it myself. I leave it on default.

2. Low. Always start to listen to any amp with low gain first as it usually is the least noisy setting.

3. 24bit, but it shouldn't matter if you don't have any HD music files.

4. Supposedly yes.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #990 of 1,324

I set the buffer length to the minimum (50ms). This works well and avoids sound glitches when dragging the seek bar while playing. This minimum buffer length also has the effect of minimizing the delay when adjusting the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back