[Impression] FiiO E10
Jan 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #661 of 1,324

Quote:
I bought an E10, but returned it: any time i moved, there would be pops/crackles in the sound. I bought another one in hopes that the first unit was defective. This second unit is better, but when i wiggle the headphone cable near the plug (or rotate the headphone plug inside the jack), i still get some pops/crackles.

It's not nearly as bad as the first unit, but I find that I can't use the E10 on my lap or hanging off my laptop. Unless it's sitting stationary on a desk, if I move around, it creates noise from the jack. Both units were the second revision silkscreen models. I've read some reviews here saying they don't have this issue, but I bought my units from two different sellers, and neither is perfect.

Is this just a problem inherent with the E10? Should I try purchasing a third unit, or should I just give up on getting a perfect unit?

Unfortunately, it seems to be a common problem with the current batch of E10s(I had a similar issue with mine).  In February, Fiio will releasing a new batch with updated gold plated headphone jacks that shouldn't have this problem.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #662 of 1,324
Oh my god guys are you serious. You all here with problems should visit DIY section more often. Is it so hard to buy a new headphone jack for around 1-2$ and solder it in place of the old one. Because it is worth it for such a cheap device. Go and try to find a Tenor TE7022L + WM8740 + AD8397 for 80$. If you want a similar performance good dac/amp combo out of the box then go with iBasso D7 but remember its 180$ price tag. If you are cheap then try to be more creative and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. It kinda feels fair enough to get a good and cheap product with few flaws that can be fixed in a few minutes with minimum expenses. Try to calculate at least the components price of E10 and realize the clean income of Fiio from it. It is far less then bigger brands out there. I am looking forward to get myself an E10 soon and bad HP socket dosen't scares me a bit as long as I have my DIY tools and a radiomarket around. Good luck future owners of E10! 
dt880smile.png

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #664 of 1,324

Quote:
Unfortunately, it seems to be a common problem with the current batch of E10s(I had a similar issue with mine).  In February, Fiio will releasing a new batch with updated gold plated headphone jacks that shouldn't have this problem.

It is not about gold plated or not. It is the incompatibility of the current jack with some headphone plug. If you can get a short 3.5mm female to male extension, you will likely fix the problem. The Feb. batch will change the whole jack all together to another design so it should fix the issue once and for all. If your headphone has an incompatible plug, it will almost always has issue with the current E10. The problem comes from both side.

Quote:
Though i have the tools to do that, doesn't that void the warranty?

As said, a short extension could be an easy fix, or you could just wait out till the next batch arrives.

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #665 of 1,324
Thanks for the update, ClieOS. I think I'll return this unit and wait until February. Do you know if there will any exterior changes to distinguish the current batch of E10's from the new revised version with the different jack?

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #666 of 1,324

Quote:
Thanks for the update, ClieOS. I think I'll return this unit and wait until February. Do you know if there will any exterior changes to distinguish the current batch of E10's from the new revised version with the different jack?

The headphone-out will not be metal anymore and it will have a lower position on the front plate.

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #667 of 1,324

Quote:
It is not about gold plated or not. It is the incompatibility of the current jack with some headphone plug. If you can get a short 3.5mm female to male extension, you will likely fix the problem. The Feb. batch will change the whole jack all together to another design so it should fix the issue once and for all. If your headphone has an incompatible plug, it will almost always has issue with the current E10. The problem comes from both side.

Ah, okay.  Thanks for the info CliesOS!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #668 of 1,324

Quote:
Though i have the tools to do that, doesn't that void the warranty?

I think it will destroy the warranty. You can do it at your own risk. Maybe if it is the only problem that you have with E10.

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #669 of 1,324
I'm listening through my E10 now and get a very slight hick but only if I twist the male headphone jack around or tug at it quite strongly. Its a desktop amp and with that in mid the design team must have thought it would stay that way, i.e. sat stationary.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #670 of 1,324
Just received  the E10 from B & H and I am again very pleased with the budget headphone amp/DAC from FiiO.  I also own the E9 and awaiting for the E11 coming up for sale.

Thank you FiiO for making these hobby fun and affordable.  Again from the price/ performance ratio, I give you a thump up for another fine piece.
regular_smile%20.gif

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #671 of 1,324
Sorry if this beating the proverbial dead horse, but the socket on my E10 (rev. 1.5 with on-bass-off) is solid at the ring on the faceplate, but inside, the spring/clip thing allows whatever 3.5mm I try plugging in to easily wiggle in all directions.   So basically when the headphones are plugged in, I can move the jack around in all directions.  I don't have much in the way of gear...AKG K420, Sennheiser MX471, Superlux 668B, but all have the same issue.  Definitely not what I'm used to and a bit disconcerting.  Is this the issue that everyone's discussing?  And yeah, I can induce noise by moving the plug around.

Happy otherwise with the unit and, in Fiio's defense, they offered to repair mine, presumably by replacing the socket.  Shipping paid both ways as well.  I just want to make sure I'm experiencing the same thing as others before sending the E10 back.  Don't want to waste Fiio's time & money either if I'm in the wrong here. 

By the way, the Fiio guy I spoke with in China said the E10 2.0 is due in March.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #672 of 1,324
Really? You contacted FiiO directly and they said they were willing to fix it for you? Well, if that's true, I might do that if my E10 has a similar jack issue.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #673 of 1,324

Quote:
Sorry if this beating the proverbial dead horse, but the socket on my E10 (rev. 1.5 with on-bass-off) is solid at the ring on the faceplate, but inside, the spring/clip thing allows whatever 3.5mm I try plugging in to easily wiggle in all directions.   So basically when the headphones are plugged in, I can move the jack around in all directions.  I don't have much in the way of gear...AKG K420, Sennheiser MX471, Superlux 668B, but all have the same issue.  Definitely not what I'm used to and a bit disconcerting.  Is this the issue that everyone's discussing?  And yeah, I can induce noise by moving the plug around.

Happy otherwise with the unit and, in Fiio's defense, they offered to repair mine, presumably by replacing the socket.  Shipping paid both ways as well.  I just want to make sure I'm experiencing the same thing as others before sending the E10 back.  Don't want to waste Fiio's time & money either if I'm in the wrong here. 

By the way, the Fiio guy I spoke with in China said the E10 2.0 is due in March.

I've had my E10 for a little over a month - the 2nd batch with new silkscreen (on-bass-off).  Like yours (and guessing all of the E10's), the plug had lots of wiggle room with the headphones plugged in, but initially I didn't get any static or noise when I moved the E10 around, or when I manually moved the plug/connection . . . . until recently.

A few days ago (about 5 weeks of having the device), the static and noise appeared when the plug was moved.  I bought the item from amazon.com (30 day return policy), and I've had the E10 for over 30 days.  Contacted amazon and they accepted the return and gave me a full refund without any problems.  I returned the E10 and purchased a different dac/amp for myself (NuForce Icon HDP)

For the price, I can't really say too much negative things about the E10, other than this minor issue. The E10 does need a bit more tweaking (which is being addressed by FiiO).  When this issue is fixed, the E10 will be a great product.  In fact, I can't  see many other dac/amps at this price working as well as the E10.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #674 of 1,324
I've got fiio e10 batch 2 and I've got no problems with it at all. HP jack is solid as is the line-out. Sound quality is brilliant and I'm very happy of my purchase. Thanks Fiio for making this cool piece of hardware :wink:

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #675 of 1,324

Hey guys! 

I need your opinion here please :)

I have the E10 too, the first batch I think since I got it as soon as it came out. Great product for the price, I dont have the jack issue when moving my headphones  but an other one. When I plug in my DAC, I dont hear any noise except for some hiss. Until now that s normal cause I dont play any music. But after 10 seconds, I start earing a crackling noise in the left ear, nothing on the right ear. It gets softer when I turned the E10 volume button down but still noticeable. It sort of bothers me since I m not constantly playing music but like keeping my headphones on... 

I tried to switch players and switch usb, it does the same. It feels like after a few seconds without any signal coming in, something in the DAC shuts off. I can't hear any hiss anymore but this crackling noise instead

Does someone have this issue too? What could it be? I m relatively new to the hi-fi equipment field and I dunno every subtilities of DAC/Amps. Please give me some indications

by the way sorry for my average english, I m from France.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back