iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 27, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3,811 of 9,047
I've been listening a bit now amd with the 3D turned off, I don't find it bright at all, in fact I find it somewhat dark. With the 3D on though, I find it perceptibly bright, but I can't be certain yet if that's due to the crossfeed, etc..., an actual increase in treble, or both. Either way, it feels natural after a short session and something I adapted to relatively quickly.

I do find it a little warm either way though, something I'm still getting used to as it seems to be hampering vocal clarity at the moment.

Now that i listen to it a bit more, i found out that with iem sensetivity on, it gets warm. But 192k hz or further plus bitperfect helps in all modes. But the overal sound is neutral as you sad. 
cool.gif

May 27, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #3,812 of 9,047
...it is 'enjoyable and fun' and people don't usually do a 10-second listen and change tracks (which to us is always the litmus test that the human brain likes what it is hearing).

I had quite an amusing experience along these lines this evening. I was setting up tracks for burn in (still not sure on SS burn in, but I moved it to my laptop for reduced power consumption and figured there was no real harm in trying it out) and as I was flicking through tracks to add to the playlist, I came across some of my girlfriend's old downloads from a few years back. Particularly, I came across some songs for her nephew, by "The Wiggles". So, just for the fun of it, I put on "Toot Toot, Chugga Chugga, Big Red Car". Apart from strongly falling victim to the loudness wars, it is a good recording, and I found myself listening to the song in its entirety, all the while (admittedly) bopping my head along! Now, that's a big deal for me, as I despise The Wiggles!

If every listening session improves with experiences like this, and as I become accustomed to the sound signature-albeit while listening to better music :)-I'll be very happy indeed.

May 27, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #3,813 of 9,047
Now that i listen to it a bit more, i found out that with iem sensetivity on, it gets warm. But 192k hz or further plus bitperfect helps in all modes. But the overal sound is neutral as you sad. :cool:  

I've been using the Bit Perfect filter too as it seems to cool the treble down a little with the 3D switched on. I don't think I'll ever use it without the 3D, but if I did, I'd use the standard filter.

It's taken me a little while to pin down the sound too. I've only had mine for a week though, so I may change my mind, as you might too. :wink: Who thought a ~neutral signature would contain so much complexity! :D

May 27, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #3,814 of 9,047
I do not find iDSD Micro to be bright at all. It is just perfect. To make it sound 'darker' in PCM mode - just flip the filter from 'standard' to 'bitperfect' mode and it will roll off some HF. Or when I convert my lossy files to DSD in Foobar it makes them sound a little softer and smoother too. But I recently prefer to listen to all my music in its native mode and stands, no conversion, no up/down sampling. To my ears any conversion/processing makes the music more artificial and less dynamic, even though it keeps the same level or details and resolution, just not the same as the original.

May 27, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #3,815 of 9,047
I've been using the Bit Perfect filter too as it seems to cool the treble down a little with the 3D switched on. I don't think I'll ever use it without the 3D, but if I did, I'd use the standard filter.

It's taken me a little while to pin down the sound too. I've only had mine for a week though, so I may change my mind, as you might too.
wink.gif
Who thought a ~neutral signature would contain so much complexity!
biggrin.gif

I do not find iDSD Micro to be bright at all. It is just perfect. To make it sound 'darker' in PCM mode - just flip the filter from 'standard' to 'bitperfect' mode and it will roll off some HF. Or when I convert my lossy files to DSD in Foobar it makes them sound a little softer and smoother too. But I recently prefer to listen to all my music in its native mode and stands, no conversion, no up/down sampling. To my ears any conversion/processing makes the music more artificial and less dynamic, even though it keeps the same level or details and resolution, just not the same as the original.

Yeah, i agree, my first impact was that it sounded bright, but i was coming from the warm fiio e12 though. I think i wasn´t used to so much detail.
xD
But i know i m a bit treble sensitive. I like bitperfect with 3d off, it makes the sound really strong, which i like, because i listen to house/electronic mainly. But i agree with lucidreamer, indeed the sound of bitperfect is not natural, standard sounds more musical even being slightly brighter, but it depends on largly on the source of course. 

But in the end, iDSD is very complex and adaptive, it can make several headphones sound quite better, from cheaper to more expensive.
So for new users like me (got it today), it can be confusing at begining.
redface.gif

I´m usIng the negative polarity filter and indeed its sounds very good for me, better then the positive one. Even though i don´t kknow what it is in terms of sound lol 
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
redface.gif

May 28, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #3,816 of 9,047
Yeah, i agree, my first impact was that it sounded bright, but i was coming from the warm fiio e12 though. I think i wasn´t used to so much detail.

xD

But i know i m a bit treble sensitive. I like bitperfect with 3d off, it makes the sound really strong, which i like, because i listen to house/electronic mainly. But i agree with lucidreamer, indeed the sound of bitperfect is not natural, standard sounds more musical even being slightly brighter, but it depends on largly on the source of course. 

But in the end, iDSD is very complex and adaptive, it can make several headphones sound quite better, from cheaper to more expensive.

So for new users like me (got it today), it can be confusing at begining. :xf_eek:  

I´m usIng the negative polarity filter and indeed its sounds very good for me, better then the positive one. Even though i don´t kknow what it is in terms of sound lol :confused: :D :D :xf_eek:  

Think of it as listening to a mirror image of your music, it essentially inverts the signal. Some recordings have reversed polarity, sometimes through the entire disc, and sometimes far less. You can reverse the polarity on a recording by connecting the mic's +to- and -to+ but it can happen anywhere down the line, even at your headphones (if the cable is connected the wrong way around on both sides). So, maybe some of your music has been inverted at some point, so reversing the polarity may help (not everyone can hear the difference). If it sounds better that way, keep it that way, but for most (including myself) keeping it switched to positive (default) is arguably better. :)

May 28, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #3,817 of 9,047
Think of it as listening to a mirror image of your music, it essentially inverts the signal. Some recordings have reversed polarity, sometimes through the entire disc, and sometimes far less. You can reverse the polarity on a recording by connecting the mic's +to- and -to+ but it can happen anywhere down the line, even at your headphones (if the cable is connected the wrong way around on both sides). So, maybe some of your music has been inverted at some point, so reversing the polarity may help (not everyone can hear the difference). If it sounds better that way, keep it that way, but for most (including myself) keeping it switched to positive (default) is arguably better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well its a minor difference though. I sometimes i end switching sometimes. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Negative a little bit more laid back sometimes, positive more in front sometimes, what i noticed so far.

May 28, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #3,818 of 9,047

Hi,

The NFB looks like a pretty nice piece of Kit. But it does not look like it can drive speakers? How do you drive them at the moment?

The iDSD micro can be used in "Preamp Mode" but we would probably be the first to agree that it would be better with an iTUBE, but for starters the iDSD micro will certainly do the job of the NFB-12, if as good, you decide..

To keep your speakers you need some form of power amplifier. Maybe look for a nice used unit from the 90's Japanese manufacturer, 50 - 100W per channel?

A totally different angle might be to try the Retro Stereo 50, but looking at the Celestion Speakers, nice as they may be, you might enjoy the Retro LS-3.5 even more, they really complete the system. And as others have commented, the Retro also makes a swell Headphone Amp.

Really depends which way you wish to go. Try both and see what you think. We think you are in touch with iFi New Zealand? Feedback Audio.

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes - I've also been conversing with Chris.  He's been fantastic.  I touched base with you in case you had any other ideas.  The NFB-12 on high gain is actually reasonably capable of putting enough current into the Celestions in a desktop/nearfield situation.  But I was hoping for an integrated solution with the iFi products (with the iDSD Micro as the central point).  I also tried the iTube - however, neither has the same level of power that the NFB-12 has.

The goal has been to have a much smaller desktop footprint - which is why the iFi combos are so appealing.  It's looking more and more that I'll have to sell the passives and switch to actives. Then I can go iDSD + iTube, and probably add an iUSB to the mix as it will be largely desktop use.

The Retro looks like an amazing unit - but both cost, and overall footprint are a little more than I was considering.

I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do now - so first order of the day will be getting the right active speakers.

What you need is a TopPing TP20 mkII :wink:

Small, neat, cute, sounds amazing, costs beans... perfect desktop amp :cool:

(Seriously... prepare to be amazed... I love mine)

May 29, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #3,819 of 9,047
hello everyone i was wondering why i can not hear any sound when i connect my fiio x3 2nd gen to ifi micro dsd, and i set the line out to coaxial in fiio x3

i am using the cable above where i connect the 3.5mm to fiio and the other to the spidf of ifi

is there a buttom or a setting i should choose to be able to hear sound from the headphone out of the ifi

May 29, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #3,820 of 9,047
hello everyone i was wondering why i can not hear any sound when i connect my fiio x3 2nd gen to ifi micro dsd, and i set the line out to coaxial in fiio x3

i am using the cable above where i connect the 3.5mm to fiio and the other to the spidf of ifi

is there a buttom or a setting i should choose to be able to hear sound from the headphone out of the ifi

Disconnect the USB cable on the iDSD.

May 29, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #3,821 of 9,047
Hi, how does the idsd micro compare to daps like the x5, dx90 or even the ak100ii in terms of sound quality? I currently own a x3 2nd gen and i'm wondering if the idsd micro would provide an upgrade sq wise while still being somewhat portable.

May 29, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #3,822 of 9,047
  Hi, how does the idsd micro compare to daps like the x5, dx90 or even the ak100ii in terms of sound quality? I currently own a x3 2nd gen and i'm wondering if the idsd micro would provide an upgrade sq wise while still being somewhat portable.

I can only speak for my opinion on my iDSD Micro with my DX90, unfortunately.

To me, the DX90 has a very detailed, and evenly-balanced "sound"  I don't know what is because of DAC vs AMP, so I'll just say "sound".  In truth, for any of my headphones except the Sennheiser HD-650, it puts out a full, neutral, (slightly erring on the side of "warm") crisp and detailed presentation.  It's not harsh at all in the highs, (even my AKG K550 is not harsh which can happen quite easily.) the mids are chock full of detail, but still musical rather than analytical, and the bass is even down to the sub-bass with no obvious mid or sub-bass "bump".

In terms of power, my DX90 is comfortably more powerful than any consumer-level MP3 player I've owned, and on-par with my FIIO e17 DAC/AMP, with the FIIO juuust edging the DX90's amp out for the win.  The DAC in the DX90 is clearly superior to the FIIO e17 to my ears though.

The iFi iDSD offers a wider soundstage, (Without the "3D" turned on.) TONS more power, more overhead, (They are not the same.) and a more analytic quality which I enjoy because if I WANT to actively listen, I can simply plug-up the K550s or K545s, but if I want to relax and lose myself in passive enjoyment, I can plug-up the HD-650s and just enjoy!  Oh, and if I decide to go BASSHEAD, the DX90 can't approach the same galaxy as the iFi iDSD Micro.  It ACTUALLY can make my HA-SZ2000s "jump" on my head without raising the volume to intolerable levels!  In short, the iDSD Micro in TURBO mode is not that much less powerful off battery power than my ASGARD 2 is powered off mains power.

Note:  Aside from BASSHEAD mode, all the examples above are assuming NO EQ was applied.  Just straight from device sound quality.

I hope this helps!  Sorry that I can't comment on the FIIO or AK players.

Ken N.

May 30, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #3,823 of 9,047
Thank you so much for providing that helpful insight 
biggrin.gif
. The idsd seems to make more sense to me personally over a similarly priced dap as it provides a more complete package for both sensitive iems that i can use on the go while still being able to comfortably handle full sized cans like the hd800 and th900 which i plan to get in the future.

May 30, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #3,824 of 9,047
I am sorry to say this, but in terms of audio quality this product is totally overrated. A big disappointment and a reminder to the community - is anyone listening out there at all these days by any chance? Or are we only into numbers ... Wake up!

May 30, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #3,825 of 9,047
Thank you so much for providing that helpful insight :D . The idsd seems to make more sense to me personally over a similarly priced dap as it provides a more complete package for both sensitive iems that i can use on the go while still being able to comfortably handle full sized cans like the hd800 and th900 which i plan to get in the future.

It is a really versatile amp imo. So many options to attach to the source in different ways and such a wide variation of output power in order to suit any headphone. I even connect mine digitally to the tv sometimes and use optical in.

The 3d effect is hit and miss for me. Sometimes it seems to work really well and at other times, I just prefer straight amp. The bass boost is very subtle too. With some headphones, it's difficult to know whether it's on or off.

It's powerful beast though and I find that I instinctively want to use it more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back