iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 30, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #3,826 of 9,047
  I am sorry to say this, but in terms of audio quality this product is totally overrated. A big disappointment and a reminder to the community - is anyone listening out there at all these days by any chance? Or are we only into numbers ... Wake up!

I'd really have to disagree. If it's such a bad value, then the DX90, AK120, CLAS -dB, and DACport LX are even worse. I loved my DACport. ;-( Oh and I don't really get the numbers issue… I mean they market the DSD512 and Octaetcetera and the Turbo whatever but I just use Normal with IEMatch on "Off" at most on BitPerfect with 16/44.1kHz files. 

Hi, how does the idsd micro compare to daps like the x5, dx90 or even the ak100ii in terms of sound quality? I currently own a x3 2nd gen and i'm wondering if the idsd micro would provide an upgrade sq wise while still being somewhat portable.

It's a huge step up compared to my DX90 in terms of dimensionality. The sound is smoother, warmer, and better textured. The soundstage is wider but it's noticeably deeper as if forming an ensemble in front of you whereas the DX90 is more forward and somewhat 2 dimensional sounding. That being said, the DX90 is colder and clearer sounding. Not cleaner but clearer. "Digital" relative to the iDSD as some would say. It sounds good with some headphones but with most, I prefer the iDSD. 

May 30, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,827 of 9,047
  I am sorry to say this, but in terms of audio quality this product is totally overrated. A big disappointment and a reminder to the community - is anyone listening out there at all these days by any chance? Or are we only into numbers ... Wake up!

Hello fellow head fi guy. Just the fact m’am.

You haven’t asked any questions before
Just joined today and this is your first post.
Don’t list your system so we don’t know your context

And you say you are the only person who can hear and all other head fi users - some of whom have been on here for years and have gone through lots of kit - are deaf.

May I be the first to thank you for enlightening us all, cheers buddy!

May 30, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #3,828 of 9,047
i do not know somehow i am starting to perceive the ifi micro dsd to be harsh, i am really not knowing why i am starting to have a change of heart to the sound signature.

honestly it needs more bass and less brightness, with metal music the ifi dsd does not do well in my books anymore.

May 30, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #3,829 of 9,047
I find that it really depends what kind of mix I'm listening to. I sometimes find that the 3d effect can add treble so I switch it out.

It can be a bit glassy with my th900 but never with Senn hd650.

Good digital files seem to sound quite round though. Crappy low bit rate mp3 can sound edgy

May 30, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #3,830 of 9,047

In YOUR opinion, correct? I and other owners seem to FEEL differently. If this is your opinion, I have no issue with it. Perhaps an explanation for where you feel it could be better based on your personal experience could be helpful, so that we understand where you are coming from? For instance, I have explained what I truly love about the qualities of the DAC, which in my opinion based on listening with a host of headphones that I've provided examples of, outshines the capable Amp section. What settings were you listening with? Polarity, iem-match, and filter modes all affect the sound I get out of mine.

I'm not claiming that you are wrong, or even that I disagree since you've presented no examples that I can compare against. So I personally would appreciate it greatly if you put some detail into how you arrived at your sweeping conclusion? Perhaps I've missed something and will learn from what you have to say?

To be clear, this is NOT a challenge or seeking of dogmatic principal clashes based on rhetoric. I simply seek to understand HOW you came to so strong a conclusion based on your personal experiences with the iFi iDSD Micro based on what source(s), with what equipment, playing what genres/types of music? R&B? Rock? Gospel? Lecture Hall notes?

This was a crowd-sourced concept built on community input. As a community member, your reasons are valid, but we need to understand what they are.

I look forward to your response.

Ken N.

May 30, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #3,833 of 9,047
Ignore it and carry on. :wink:

Oops, sorry, you meant the Micro. Charge it!! :beyersmile:

Ugh! I just went back and saw that he only has 1 post.... So, my first "troll", huh? Guess I should feel lucky that I got through the better part of a year before encountering one. :D I hear about them all the time on YouTube, but you guys are apparently REALLY good here.

Feeling foolish :redface:

Ken N.

May 30, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #3,834 of 9,047
What does a flasing red light means? 

Posted previously by iFi Audio in another thread:

"...If the unit is blinking alternating red-blue it means it is charging, but in "under voltage lockout". This can only happen if the unit is switched on.

It is kind of a message telling the user "switch me off and let me charge PLEASE". :regular_smile : It is called Smart Power after all!"

May 30, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #3,837 of 9,047
i do not get it honestly, since this was a crowd concept built, then was the amp section and sound signature not being handled

i am now certain the ifi is brighter than i like, and its amp section needs a push to drive my audeze lcd2 well, it can get the lcd2 loud but loud is not by any means a meaning of driving it well with authority

the bass section also needs push too

i just do not get it why such things do not get looked at if it was a crowd funded concept project

May 30, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #3,838 of 9,047

Totally disagree.

May 30, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #3,839 of 9,047
May 30, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #3,840 of 9,047
  i do not know somehow i am starting to perceive the ifi micro dsd to be harsh, i am really not knowing why i am starting to have a change of heart to the sound signature.

honestly it needs more bass and less brightness, with metal music the ifi dsd does not do well in my books anymore.

Is it not possible that the iDSD shows up what ever is put in. Worts and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back