IEMs vs. Headphones: $400 (ish)
Sep 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #31 of 53
For companies such as westone, do they use the same armatures in their customs as they do in their universals?

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #32 of 53
No idea! You should look up HeadphoneAddict; he may know. My guess is yes but I really don't know. Interesting question. You could ask on Westone's facebook page, too.

Quote:
For companies such as westone, do they use the same armatures in their customs as they do in their universals?

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #33 of 53
Because in that case one could save a lot of money to just compromise the idea their earphones were hand made just for them.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #34 of 53
I started out using with the full headphone. After a while I realize it wasn't to practical and the sound quality was only marginally better. I found I wasn't using it enough to warrant spending $800-900 on. There is just too much involved with using a headphone and the cost quickly adds up and the whole 2v1 ratio argument becomes invalid. For me I didn't like full size because it wasn't really portable, requires a good amp, and you can't listen to it when going to sleep because of the size (at least comfortably). I say go with a good universal iem if you to want to go into customs yet.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #35 of 53
The only thing that makes me second guess universals is their comfort. Does that usually tend to be an issue or do things like the foamies tend to be comfortable?

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #36 of 53
I find the W4 to be ridiculously comfortable w/ the gray silicone tips. Sony's EX series is also very comfortable, if you don't need a ton of isolation. I just love the Sony Hybrid tips that come with the Sony EX600/1000 phones.

I've found the SE535 cable uncomfortable and the ER4P is uncomfortable because it's such deep insertion. But like I said, the W4 are really comfortable; I can forget they're in.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #37 of 53
I find the Etymotic universal fit to be very comfortable, I forget they are in most of the time! I do notice the Triple.fi's though I largely do not use those any more since using the amp as they seem less clear and bass over emphasized in comparison to the etymotics. Without an amp though, say if i am listening right out of my iPad they are great as they cover up the inadequacies of the device better.

Don't use the ETY's if you are listening to anything other than lossless and not a great source as they reveal all!

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #38 of 53
I assume they are also light then if they are comfortable. How is the isolation?

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:
I assume they are also light then if they are comfortable. How is the isolation?

Yup, really light. And the isolation is fantastic, especially w/ the silicone tips! I really think you'll be pleased with the W4, if you are an all-genre kind of listener. They resell well too if you don't like them. You can get them for like $350 for authorized ebay seller Audio Vengeance.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #41 of 53
Or $345 at amazon. :D by the way, one last matter to sweeten the deal, how is the sound stage? Personally, as weird as it would seem, I enjoy the sound stage right inside your head instead of out and forward. A reason I like headphones more than speakers.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #42 of 53
W/ non-authorized sellers, you only get a year warranty though, as that seller is. The only reason really to buy from Amazon is if the seller is shipping through Amazon prime; then you have the advantage of returning the iem without it hitting your wallet. But I see that seller isn't, so I would definitely buy through Audio Vengeance. Just make an offer for like $300 and he'll counter at $350. I actually bought my pair from Overstock for $325 and slapped on them a square trade warranty.

Soundstage is quite good for iem, but in general iems don't beat full size headphones. I don't think you need to worry. They're always in your head a little compared to speakers :)

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #43 of 53
Well for near custom level of comfort you can get a custom molded tip for your earphone. I have the Westone vinyl (harder than silicone but softer than acrylic, when heated it gets even softer) type of tips, in fact I got two pairs for the price of one due to some small mistake on Westone part (this goes to show their customer service). The cost for the mold and tips should be less than 100. And the custom tips would go a long way, as it will fit a lot of BA earphones with small nozzle (SE535, Ety's, Westone, SM3, you name it). If you do get the W4, you should consider getting custom tips. It will surprise you how comfortable it will become, and sometimes it might even improve the SQ slightly due to more consistent fit.

The thing about custom earphone though, is that the whole package of comfort and SQ is hard to beat. None of the universals earphone I had (I only had very few pairs of them) are on the same level as the custom earphone in terms of sound quality.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #44 of 53
So what's the manufacturers warranty? One year and none if an unauthorized dealer?

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #45 of 53
I would agree with the Westone recommendations as well, they are a company, like Etymotic who have a base in hearing protection and aides . I think if I did not have the Etymotics I would have the westone 3 or 4's.

The etys as Imakler said are super light weight and with the silicone crhistmas tree ear tips very comfortable. Just remember if you get them a little trick to achieving a perfect seal is to moisten the tips slightly. I usual just pop them in and out of my mouth for a s split second, Saliva is naturally antiseptic as well as being your own fluid so your not going to get any reactions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back