IEMs vs. Headphones: $400 (ish)
Sep 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #16 of 53
Yes they are custom made so you'll have to do the impression stuff.

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 53
I think if you're looking into IEM in general, it would be better to stick to universals for awhile. With customs you don't know what sound you will be getting, and selling them is really hit or miss. Plus, you would also have to sell them for significantly less than what you paid as opposed to selling a universal.

And my recommendation for portability would be the UM3X. If you don't mind having little isolation and a lot of wind noise when it's windy out, I would say look into the EX600. Then if you like the EX600 and want something with an increase of about 20% overall in SQ, you could look into the EX1000.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #18 of 53
Well Im open to all forms of portable listening devices. The idea of lots of isolation from IEMs seems nice but it may prove overkill. Also if I could get more bang for my buck from something like the Denon D2000s or the DT 1350s then why spend the extra money. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #19 of 53

Quote:
Yes they are custom made so you'll have to do the impression stuff.

So would you have to have them re-made through a third party or could the company like JH Audio do it for you?
When all the armatures are proprietary, I wouldn't feel safe having another company try and re-build them. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #20 of 53
Its not even close :p

The portables like DT1350 or the bigger ones like the Shure 940 will absolutely outclass a similarly priced IEM.

But the IEMs are far more portable and easy to store

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #21 of 53
Think about what will get you the most use and decide accordingly. If you spend most of your time outside IEM. But if you spend most of your time outside interacting or playing sports why even get iems. 

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #22 of 53

Quote:
Its not even close :p

The portables like DT1350 or the bigger ones like the Shure 940 will absolutely outclass a similarly priced IEM.

But the IEMs are far more portable and easy to store

What you're saying is simply preference and speculation. You having the P5's as "The King" in your profile which clearly shows that...

I can say that for me, the EX1000's sound better than the D2000 by a mile, even when amped properly (iBasso D4 Mamba.) And I have no idea how the DT1350 perform and neither do you (judging by your profile; if you've actually demoed them then I am sorry), so such sweeping observations can be very misleading and are better kept to ones self rather than suggested.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #23 of 53
I am not sure about the Ety ER4p's but I own the 4S's and know you can get a simple add on cable from Etymotic to make the 4S into the 4P. I would go that route if you choose the Ety's as the sound of the 4S's is sublime with a decent amp. Ignore folks saying there is not enough bass, they just have not heard them with a decent amp! I find the sound very similar to my LCD2's and I can't think of a better compliment!

Also, another great thing with the Etymotics (apart from being hand made in the US and individually matched drivers to very close tolerances is the isolation. I can be in the noisiest coffee shop and listening to quite passages of Wagner and not hear a thing out side of me.

The Etymotics may not be the latest and greatest but there is a reason the have been going for as long as they have!

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #24 of 53
So is there a general agreement that for in this price range it is either:
IEM: More portable, slightly worse sound, more isolation
Headphone: Less portable, slightly better sound, less isolation

If only I had like $1200 for something like the JH Audio 16 Pro.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #25 of 53
Also how do you feel about the Etymotic custom fit? 
How does it improve the fit and isolation over the triple flange?

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #26 of 53
I have, compared side to side..  the DT1350, T50p, ESW9 and HD25-1-II. Only ones absent from the comparison was the P5. I liked the DT1350 and ESW9. And the P5 slots nicely behind them in SQ. But the build, finish and comfort of the P5 reigns. The p5 takes time to understand, a long long time. And not some demo off apple store. T50p is horrible and the HD25-I-II's hype are .. quite..  bleh...

The only gripes I have about the DT1350 is how the cushion cups are rather deep. even when its a supraaural. I guess that space it makes provide added air and stage but its just uncomfortable for me. ESW9's and p5 are more comfortable. Also. the whole housing of the DT1350 is a little.. thick and protruding when I'm wearing them with my aerodynamically challenged ears. But soundwise, these portables are better then similiar priced IEMs. See I like the P5's SQ about equal as the TF10s and bit more than the IE7s. They're all around the 300 mark, but it fluctuates with the 2 IEMs. The DT1350, at 299-350...  soundwise. Not even close.

Quote:
What you're saying is simply preference and speculation. You having the P5's as "The King" in your profile which clearly shows that...

I can say that for me, the EX1000's sound better than the D2000 by a mile, even when amped properly (iBasso D4 Mamba.) And I have no idea how the DT1350 perform and neither do you (judging by your profile; if you've actually demoed them then I am sorry), so such sweeping observations can be very misleading and are better kept to ones self rather than suggested.

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #27 of 53
So more or less the best sound and isolation in the price range can be had from supraaural and then the final decision comes down to which is the best for the main genre I listen to, I guess. Also I've seen reviews saying the shure 940 is comparable to the hd650. Is that just over blown hype or is that actually true?

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #28 of 53
I'm an iem lover that sold everything and went to a desk/over ear system. Now I'm back to being an iem lover. I had the HD600, the AKG K702, and the HD25-II for portable use. My advice is if you want portable, go the iem rout. It's just not as much fun worrying about your over ears when you toss them into a book bag or worry about amping them correctly or getting fatigued from headclamp, the tightness of wearing over years for too long. There are some things I like about over ears, but I think bang for your buck go for an in ear monitor. I'd leave the over ear for those who want to sit at home and listen on really expensive rigs! For a comparative price, you get killer sound and portability.

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #29 of 53
Well Im open to anything that's going to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. What kind of iems would you suggest? And also what about custom v. Universal?

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #30 of 53
My searching has finally ended with the Westone 4. I've owned them and now come back to them. They can be found now for around $350. Really, impressed with them for all genres, though don't listen to metal/rap. If I were mostly a pop guy, I'd go with the Shure SE535 or EX1000. But I listen to a lot of classical and jazz, with then some alternative stuff, and I find that the Westone 4 can handle anything you throw at them. It is forgiving with less well-produced music as well. After the Westone 4, the most impressive I've heard are the EX1000 and the SE535 (but I'm not a fan of their memory cord). Nothing wrong with the EX1000, but I think that the W4 handles all genres a little bit better; if it weren't for the W4, I'd go with the EX1000. The isolation is not as good on the EX1000 but they push a little closer to that over ear headphone sound being a dynamic driver. IF it could be neither the W4, SE535 or EX1000, I'd be in a really tough fix without going down the custom right. I may just have ended up with a couple cheaper earphones, like the W2 and EX600... If the Shure SE535's mids were a little less upfront and the cord a little more comfortable, it would be another winner for me. The IE8 is enjoyable but its bass is just over the top. All the above have nice, tight bass.

Some people really like customs. For me, I take my earphones in and out enough at work (in an office) and at home (kids and wife), universals are a little easier. I know for the price, you're getting close to triple drivers customs from 1964, but personally I think the hairs on my neck are happy with the W4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back