IEM that has good coherence but also good soundstage, is there one?
Aug 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #17 of 82

Quote:

Now we're not even in a flac boom, there're tons of amps and dacs, and driver wars lol, it's world war here in head-fi world

It's a great time to be into Hi-Fi, not like 10, 20, 30... well you know... a million years ago :wink:

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #20 of 82

Quote:
@ shotgunshane, you bought the ex1000? how's it? did you get a good fit?

I did.  To me they are very easy to fit and very comfortable once you figure out what size tip you need.  Normally I wear a medium tip but with the Sony's I wear a LL hybrid.  I guess it is angled just perfectly hitting the widest point of my canal.  Since the body is perpendicular to your ear instead of resting flat inside it, the isolation isn't so great though.

It's the clearest, most transparent IEM I've heard yet.  Also the bass (sub bass) is some of the best quality I've heard as well, although I wish it was a little more in quantity.  Very impressive sounding phones.

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #21 of 82
Bit of an unusual recommendation, but Ortofon's e-Q5 seems to fit the bill. The sound is coherent and soundstage is well above average, along with pretty decent isolation as well at a lower price point than the "top-tier" big guns being slung around in this thread. Give them an audition if you have the opportunity..

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #23 of 82
You should try the TF10. It can be had for a very reasonable price and is still considered a top tier earphone with a relaxed tonal balance and a really good sound stage.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 82
The soundstage is quite nice, is isn't quite up there with the EX1000, FX700 and IE8 sort that I think he's asking for. Isolation is quite nice, as you mention as well, in additional to lots of details. You should try these before you buy them, though, because the bass quantity (not as much as other IEMs) might not satisfy you.
Quote:
Bit of an unusual recommendation, but Ortofon's e-Q5 seems to fit the bill. The sound is coherent and soundstage is well above average, along with pretty decent isolation as well at a lower price point than the "top-tier" big guns being slung around in this thread. Give them an audition if you have the opportunity..

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #25 of 82
@T.F.O.A

I get the best seal with the EX1000 than any of my other IEMs (first go as well).

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #26 of 82
Ok, ortofon e-q5, i'll look around if i can audition it.

It seems i'm gonna have to go to sony style and give the ex1000 another try, it was quite hard to get a fit that time, or probably the ex600

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #27 of 82
What? good fit on the EX600/1000? They are pretty heavy duty IEM's, not really "in the ear" at all, they respond to wind noise and, if it's windy enough they'll probably get blown out of your ears.

Apart from that, they sounded fantastic, to me.  I even (very slightly) preferred the EX600 over the EX1000.

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #28 of 82
Blown out of you ears? I don't see that being realistically possible as I get a very snug and easy fit that can go decently deep (even deeper than the W4). Wind noise is another story. It's a good fit because the nozzles aren't large. We are not talking TF10 territory here. The TF10's very wide nozzle and bulky body made it difficult to get a sustainable fit without backing out or falling out over time. No such issues with the Sonys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back