IE8 or TripleFi 10?
Feb 4, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #46 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not the CK10 thread so it's not helpful to encourage members to go off topic by posting further comments on the CK10. Maybe they should be kept in the CK10 thread where they belong.

X2 Julie. Let's get this back on topic to the earphones inquired about by the OP, the TF10 and the IE8's, which I already offered my thoughts on.

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #47 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by max pl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a non audiophile but am looking for a quality IEM. I'm coming from using standard Zune IEMs and since theyre falling apart, i'm looking into something new.

Anyway, as the title states, I'm looking at these two models; the TripleFi 10 in particular because of its price on amazon right now. Which would you all recommend or is there something better that I should look into? Price doesnt really matter but i'd like it to be around $300usd.

No, if you read the OP's initial post (above), he did ask about these two models, or "something better," just to set the record straight. And that is precisely why I offered the CK10 as an alternative. Introducing other IEMs is certainly not OT.

It's always a good idea to read the OP before commenting about what the thread is about, no? And don't forget to post links to those negative comments about the CK10s you mentioned from respected HFers, so the OP can get all the data he needs to make a decision.

Once again, I have heard all three, and in my opinion, the CK10, with a good fit, is superior to either the TF10 or the IE8. If either of you (Soozieq or cn11) have owned/heard all three, please offer your views on them.

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #48 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TF10 has MUCH better detail, and treble attack than the IE8. More revealing and nuanced. Unimpressive mids, but not necessarily bad.

IE8 is BIG, a resonant sound, with powerful bass. Not bloated, note--nothing about the IE8 sounds uncontrolled--but very strong. It's not finicky about treble detail, but smooth, and lush from top to bottom.

The TF10 just presents the details differently. The TF10 separates and highlights them, whereas the IE8 weaves them into the overall presentation, but they are all there. The TF10 is no more revealing or nuanced than the IE8 to my ears, with the exception of the bass presentation, which I do regard as bloated. The mids of the TF10 are recessed compared to the IE8, and I suspect that's part of the reason why the TF10 appears to bring aspects of the music into sharper relief.

Bloated means swelled, and that's how the bass of the IE8 sounds to me both within its overall presentation and when compared to the TF10 and the SE530. Comparatively, the IE8's bass is rendered with less definition and texture than the TF10 and the SE530. Bass and mid-bass in particular are the dominant features of the IE8's sound signature in my opinion.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #49 of 114
Quote:

No, he didn't. Right at the beginning of his post, he wrote...

"I've read more than a few impressions of the CK10's being bass light, including a couple uber-respected 'headphoneus supremus' members here who say the bass is definitely lacking compared to some of the other top tier IEM's."

And as it happens I've read some of the same conflicting remarks. The only way to narrow down so many earphone choices is to read as many views as possible, and that includes considering the negatives as well as the positives.

Oh, really?

"The reviewer specifically states he/she tried all the included tips, as well as taking time with tips from other brands, so that seal was maximized, thereby ruling out poor seal. But I'm glad to hear there's no problem with light bass for you."

Is there a different way to interpret this? So based on this reviewer's opinion, it's somehow "factual" that the 10's are "bass light"?

I'm in total agreement with your last sentence. That's why one of my remarks to the OP was this:

"In the price range that you're looking, there are a ton of IEMs that might suit your needs. And I'm sure they all sound really good. Unfortunately, only you can decide just how good any of them are."

Seems a pretty sound suggestion to me.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #50 of 114
soozieq, cn11 and tstarn06. Is this just a sense of déjà vu or did I really have bad dream about the AMP3 last night?
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #51 of 114
Hey, I have the IE8 and TF10 with the CK10 on the way. Between the IE8 and TF10, I would have to say the IE8 all the way, far superior. But that is with tip extenders (see my sig). Without tip extender it is much closer, but the IE8 still wins IMO. As far as where the CK10 stands, mine should be here tomorrow, so when I get a chance to hear them I will post my comparison thoughts.

I hear the IE8 vs. TF10 like this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TF10 just presents the details differently. The TF10 separates and highlights them, whereas the IE8 weaves them into the overall presentation, but they are all there. The TF10 is no more revealing or nuanced than the IE8 to my ears...

And here is where I disagree:
Quote:

...with the exception of the bass presentation, which I do regard as bloated. The mids of the TF10 are recessed compared to the IE8, and I suspect that's part of the reason why the TF10 appears to bring aspects of the music into sharper relief.

Bloated means swelled, and that's how the bass of the IE8 sounds to me both within its overall presentation and when compared to the TF10 and the SE530. Comparatively, the IE8's bass is rendered with less definition and texture than the TF10 and the SE530. Bass and mid-bass in particular are the dominant features of the IE8's sound signature in my opinion.

To me, the IE8 has a large mid-bass hump that overshadows the deep bass, but the details and textures are there. I haven't listened without the tip extenders since to me they improve the IE8 so much. Here is what they have done for me: huge transparency increase, wider soundstage, brings the mids closer, slightly better instrument separation, slightly reduces the mid-bass hump.

But with that all said, I still listen to the Mingo WM2 (silver with an amp, gold without) more than the IE8 or the TF10! Go figure.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #52 of 114
OK, my IE8 are not fully burned in (only about 8hrs so far) but I will comment on some things anyway
wink.gif

IE8 fully immerse you in the music and have a huge soundstage in comparison to the TF10 and thats before they are fully burned in. Right now the bass is massive, the treble is rolled off and the mids are a bit recessed. But they simply entrance you in the music anyway.

TF10 is more accurate and detailed but not immersive. The bass is to polite, the mids are more recessed and again polite. The treble on the other hand is very nice and detailed.

If you have ever watched American Idol and saw a singer who was technically great but simply got lost in the shuffle because while they had all the technical points down pat they just weren't memorable, thats the TF10 to me. The IE8 are the contestant who is not always perfect but damn they put heart and soul into what they sing. I LIKE HEART AND SOUL! Give me Janice Joplin over a well polished over produced Pop star any day of the week.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #53 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, my IE8 are not fully burned in (only about 8hrs so far) but I will comment on some things anyway
wink.gif

IE8 fully immerse you in the music and have a huge soundstage in comparison to the TF10 and thats before they are fully burned in. Right now the bass is massive, the treble is rolled off and the mids are a bit recessed. But they simply entrance you in the music anyway.

TF10 is more accurate and detailed but not immersive. The bass is to polite, the mids are more recessed and again polite. The treble on the other hand is very nice and detailed.

If you have ever watched American Idol and saw a singer who was technically great but simply got lost in the shuffle because while they had all the technical points down pat they just weren't memorable, thats the TF10 to me. The IE8 are the contestant who is not always perfect but damn they put heart and soul into what they sing. I LIKE HEART AND SOUL! Give me Janice Joplin over a well polished over produced Pop star any day of the week.

Great comments (and glad you finally got some real IE8s). And just wait, the treble of the IE8 extends to an audible 19K that I can hear with test tones and a reasonable volume. And it is so smooth, which is a stark contrast to the TF10 treble.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #54 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, the IE8 has a large mid-bass hump that overshadows the deep bass, but the details and textures are there. I haven't listened without the tip extenders since to me they improve the IE8 so much.

Then try them without your "tip extenders" and get back to me. It may be worth mentioning that I'm comparing both phones using the standard silicon tips that came with them out of an unamped 2nd Gen. ipod touch. So perhaps you should factor those possible variables into your listening experience, before disagreeing with mine. I'd go so far as to say that the TF10's bass goes deeper than the IE8's to my ears and it is more articulate. I don't have to listen out for this because it's very apparent to me. I didn't mention the IE8's highs, which I think extend just as far as the TF10's and arguably further. Again, they are just rendered differently. They are softer than the TF10's but no less detailed.

I think dweaver described the TF10's bass as "polite". That's a description that I wouldn't apply to the TF10's sound signature as I hear it. However, comparatively it is not as bass heavy as the IE8's sound signature to me. I also wish to reiterate that I am a fan of both of these phones for different reasons and it would be difficult to choose between them. I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they prefer the TF10 for jazz (without vocals) and I do agree with that opinion. As I mainly listen to small combo acoustic jazz, I find myself reaching for the TF10's more often than the IE8's.

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #55 of 114
i doubt if anyone coming from non-audiophile wont like IE8.

IE8 offer everything a person with non-trained ear will love... Bass, soundstage, cool packaging & design and clarity

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #57 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So please post links to the "quite a few" comments and reviews from respected HFers you have read. It would be good to add their opinions to the mix, since the OP can use as much data as possible to make his decision. I am sure those comments exist, because you and Soozieq have read them. Should be easy to provide links.

You are very familiar with the HF dictum that you probabaly should not comment on an IEM's sound in any definitive way unless you have heard it. So commenting on the CK10 was really something you were not qualified to do, collected data or not.
Just admit it and move on.

Actually, I think you're confused. It is not against Head-Fi policy to discuss and question gear you don't own. If that were the case you yourself would be guilty a million times over. Maybe you're thinking of the sticky...

"Please stop recommending gear you haven't heard" ?

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #59 of 114
^ no idea why

you wont go terribly wrong with both, thats the bottomline. if you like bass and warmish sound and superior headstage, go ie8.
if you like an all-rounded gear that performs on more musical platforms, tf10.
if you are rich enough, buy both and try both.
if you are richer than that, go custom at once to save your wallet from the upgrade bug.

my 2cents.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #60 of 114
Quote:

Actually, I think you're confused. It is not against Head-Fi policy to discuss and question gear you don't own. If that were the case you yourself would be guilty a million times over. Maybe you're thinking of the sticky...

"Please stop recommending gear you haven't heard" ?

No hating, just wanted to be straight that the OP's original thread is open to more than the IE8 or the TF10s, which was obviously not read by some here.

Also, I have never recommended nor commented on gear (phones) I haven't heard relative to sound quality (the Sony X comes to mind), as I commented on it being overpriced since its browser stinks, which was the case until I managed to get one for $269. And for the record, I love the Sony X at $269, since I never even turn on the stupid browser. Still overpriced at $399.

But back to the topic, someone made a comment that the CK10s are bass lite based on one review and at this point unknown well-respected HFers' opinions. I believe it's my right to disagree since I do own them, while pointing out that that member does not. That's fair enough, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back