IE8 or TripleFi 10?
Feb 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 114

max pl

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a non audiophile but am looking for a quality IEM. I'm coming from using standard Zune IEMs and since theyre falling apart, i'm looking into something new.

Anyway, as the title states, I'm looking at these two models; the TripleFi 10 in particular because of its price on amazon right now. Which would you all recommend or is there something better that I should look into? Price doesnt really matter but i'd like it to be around $300usd.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 114
IE8

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 114
triple fi 10. I got mine 3 weeks ago and have been listening to music since.
Trance sounds spectacular with them. They're just so deep and precise! I don't understand cable hate. I personally love the fact that they're detachable and the over-the-ear wire. it keeps em in place.

Besides, I've been hearing word that fake ie8 are in the wild.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 114
I agree that it depends what you're looking for, but having both, I find that the IE8 is vastly more comfortable and there are only a few albums that I would go through the discomfort of putting the triple.fi back in for. I'm loving the IE8 with rock, jazz, classical, world, everything. Ok, come to think of it, I'll probably never put my triple.fi back in. They are just so uncomfortable and heavy...

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 114
I had both at the same time and I really gave the TripleFis a chance. When it came down to it, I still preferred the Senns. To put it simply, the TF10s sounded rough and sharp compared to the IE8s; it was just less natural.

Both are really good IEMs, and I'm guessing the TF10s would be very sufficient for you since you haven't heard more. It's an excellent deal if you can find it for under $150. If I didn't already have my IE8s when I bought the TF10s, I very very likely would have kept them and not bought IE8s.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 114
so its possible to find the TF10s for under $150?
i was excited when i saw them for $194 on amazon. thats like half of MSRP.
(is price talk allowed on this forum? sorry if it isnt)

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 114
Have both, love IE8, hate TF10. No bass vs. deep bass, metallic and artificial highs vs. amazing soundstage (kinda like my JH11). If you can afford it, go for the IE8. Maybe not if you're fan of classical music but for everything else IE8.
But that's only my opinion.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 114
I personally much prefer the IE8 over the TF10's (even considering the crazy sale price). The soundstage is more expansive, with about equal resolution and placement within it, and the treble is only a tad behind. Actually, it may just be not as tuned 'hot' as the TF10's because you can hear all the same details, just not quite as emphasized. And the bass is noticeably deeper and more controlled. Don't know how important the low frequencies are to you, but to my ears that's the biggest difference between them.

What source are you using?

And welcome to HF btw....

Quote:

Originally Posted by max pl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a non audiophile but am looking for a quality IEM. I'm coming from using standard Zune IEMs and since theyre falling apart, i'm looking into something new.

Anyway, as the title states, I'm looking at these two models; the TripleFi 10 in particular because of its price on amazon right now. Which would you all recommend or is there something better that I should look into? Price doesnt really matter but i'd like it to be around $300usd.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 114
i'm liking gonna use them with my Thinkpad T400 for home use. the only PMPs i have are a Zune 80 which i no longer really use and an iphone which i'll use the Zune IEMs with.

like i said, i'm no audiophile like most here so i wont be using an amp or Cowon player, or lossless sound for that matter.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 114
Do yourself a favor and read the CK10 threads. $199 on newegg.com. I have owned the IE8 and currently own the TF10s (reshelled) and the CK10s are superior. I have a Zune80 and they pair well with that DAP. No reason they won't sound great with the iPhone.

Again, it's all on the CK10 threads. HFers like Shigzeo and Joker, who write extensive reviews, rate them as the best universal IEMs they have ever heard, and I concur (as do several others as you will see). And I have tried a range of IEMs, including the Westone 2, 3 and UM3X, along with many mid-level phones. The CK10s are the best I have heard, inclusive. They originally were $400 MSRP phones, but half-price on newegg.

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 114
How does the ck10 performs with metal songs?
They look good, but I have a ck7, and it's just awful, they sound like distorted tweeters, and very VERY harsh, also bass light after burn-in(or blow-up-in), i certainly would not want to make another mistake like

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 114
It all depends on what you're looking for in sound.

"Best" is a relative term. For example, things like the IE8, UM3X, TF10, and CK10 don't do anything specifically wrong. However, they all sound very different from each other. What is best depends on the type of sound you're looking for. One will most closely fit your tastes, and that particular product will be best. This isn't even a price point thing either. You may very much be happier with a $150 product versus a $300 product. It's simply whatever fits you best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back