IE8 or TripleFi 10?
Apr 23, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #107 of 114
^ I could never get the dual flanged tips to fit for me. I ordered some off of ebay but they were too big.
Do they make different sizes? I don't have my Triples anymore but it would be good to know for future reference I guess.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #109 of 114
ok, as someone who had both i can tell you :
1) the TF10 is heavier
2) the IE8 cable CRUSHES the TF10 cable, its smooth, light, easy to untangle, while the TF10 cable is stiffer, has memory effect, which means that as it ages it stiffens with marks of the tangling, i have had issues with cable weight and shape distorsion which seriously affected fit and seating, i would consider the TF10 cable as a serious drawback,
3) from what i can recall, the TF10 is faster and has slightly better trable, the mids are more or less the same, and the IE8 beats the TF10 in base any day of the week, soundstage goes to the IE-8, by a mile (literaly),
4) i found the ear hooks that come with the IE8 usless, but i never had issues with the fit,
5) isolation with the TF10 is superior to the IE8, many suspect that the IE8 is an open IEM due to the force of the music and the soundstage, but once music is playing, its much less noticable,
6) the tips which come with the IE8 are a bit poor, the foamies look like the olives at first, but they are somewhat stiffer, which is good on the side that they absorb less sound, therefore they affect the range less then complys and olives, but this extra stiffness makes them less molding, meaning they isolate less and are less comfy to wear, i use either sony hybrid or UE silicon with my IE8, im still waiting for a chance to try the new monster hybrid tips (half silicon half foam) but i havent found a place that sells them on their own outside the US,

personaly, i like the IE8 better, the bad fit, the lack of comfort, and the fact that i had to wear them upside down to get a decent seating out of them is a clear indication you should really like the sound to accept the triple.fi in your life, and for me, the IE8 just sounded better, the faults on the IE8 (mainly the isolation) are much easier to accept then the piss poor ergonomics on the Triple.fi, and im a little bit upset with myself that i accepted those flaws for around 6 months before giving up and getting better earphones, not to mention the cash pissed away on those disposable 1 use comply tips,

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #110 of 114
Well between these 2 top-tiers, which is the winner if someone listens to rock/hard rock music? :)

I have the Triple Fi's for over a year now and I find that they separate well the instruments but somehow make the overall result sound flat(even boring after an hour of listening).I also face fit problems with the TF10 and have to push them a bit after some time in order to (re)gain the proper fit.I've tried almost evrything regarding tip sellection(stock tips/bi-flangs/sony hybrids/foams etc)

I've only had the chance to try the IE8 for secs when a guy gave them to me just to get a "glimpse" of their sound. I remember that he played electronica and I experienced some of the most amazing 20 seconds of my life wearing the IE8,despite the fact I'm NOT listening ANY electronic music.....At all.

Any ideas?

Jan 4, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #111 of 114
What Aevum said, in my experience, is spot on.

Although in my case they were the recently released IE 80's (which is 95%-possibly 100% the same as IE 8's in terms of fit & sound - it's still being debated here on Head-Fi whether they're exactly the same & just rebranded or not).

I had the Super Fi 5 Pros for a year and a half, before selling them for TF10's, which I had for a year. During those periods, having owned Etymotic ER4's and a Shure SE215 (and having sampled a few other higher end Shures/IEMs) I would consider myself a "hardcore UE fan" (love the sound sig). The TF10's were simply my favourite.

...But I had never tried any Sennheiser IEMs until a friend lent me his IE80's recently "for a few days."  Literally within 12 hours, I had messaged him and asked what his price was for them.  I have now sold my TF10's and SE215 in order to help fund my purchase of the IE80's.

I honestly think that if you like the TF10's sound sig, you'll be blown away by the IE8/80's because the only place TF10's marginally beat out the IE8's are on the extreme treble...and that shouldn't be too much of a concern/bother for you, because if you cared that much about treble crispness to be dissatisfied by the IE8's performance, you'd be better off with an ER4 than TF10 anyways.

Edit:
Also, G_T_J as good as stole these words from my mind

"I find that they separate well the instruments but somehow make the overall result sound flat(even boring after an hour of listening)."

The instrumental 
separation + soundstage vastness between TF10 & IE 80 is EASILY twice as good on the IE 80. That, and the bass were the two most immediately apparent things to me within minutes of trying them out.

That being said, I was using comply tips with my TF10's (the only tip I could maintain a decent seal with) but was using the UE silicon tips on the IE80's, so that, I'm sure, accounted for some of the difference - but my friend who sold me the IE80's (and he also had TF10's for a while) agrees with me too that the soundstage of IE80's are the widest of any IEMs the two of us have ever heard.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #113 of 114
wow , you picked the 2 most overrated iems in here....

none of the two , plenty better with less money.

do some reading here and you shall save yourself money AND sound quality.

Jan 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #114 of 114

Quote:
wow , you picked the 2 most overrated iems in here....

none of the two , plenty better with less money.

do some reading here and you shall save yourself money AND sound quality.

These are sure to have their fans and considering their age, the two being well known and liked isn't really considered over rated. They only recently stole the limelight from things like the GR-07 and SM3s because of the $99 dollar sale and the release of the IE80s. Then again, your perceived definition of over rated might not be the same as mine, so YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back