IE8 or TripleFi 10?
Feb 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #77 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ The CK10's sound very promising but I am concerned about the reports of fit issues that people are having with the supplied tips. What sized eartips do you normally take?

I usually use large, and one of the reasons I use the tip extenders with the IE8 is because none of the supplied IE8 fit my ears. I would say you may have to use a larger than normal tip, or something longer that can be inserted deeper (like the tips I am using) if you have larger ear canals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This TF10 vs. IE8 thread has the same "dynamics" as the HD600/650 comparisons that I have been following, where the TF10 is the HD600: detailed, sparkly highs with great separation and well-defined bass, and the IE8s are the HD650s: pleasantly bloated lows and warm mids, with rolled off highs. That some prefer one over the other is not surprising in either case, and I believe that this choice is made for the same reason, as far as individual listening preferences are concerned. So there
tongue.gif

I think the TF10 actually sounds like it has more mid-bass than the IE8 to me, probably because the TF10 mids are recessed in comparison to the mid-bass hump and the IE8 tip extenders reduce the mid-bass hump of the IE8. I haven't compared the 2, but from your description (and my reading)...

Plus, the IE8 is anything but dark.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #78 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I don't hear the TF10 the same way you do, and I have tried every tip I own twice! Oh well, you can't please all the people all the time (and the person not being pleased is me!).

So, my CK10 experience...the first tips I tried were the triple flanges cut down to double flange. I was wondering where the bass was and was thinking the S&V review may just be right. But then, why would tstarn06 say they had bass? Really, I knew I just needed different tips, but didn't have much experimentation time, as I trust tstarn06, he is very experienced and wise!

So, I was searching through my tips. All the small ones didn't fit. The big ones didn't fit. So I pulled out the foam mushroom (or whatever they are called) and luckily they expanded over the CK10 nozzle (but the foam did rip at the base of the tip). Now I got it. There is the bass that tstarn talked about. OK, how do they compare (to my ears) with one source, the Fuze, as I don't have time for more.

TF10 vs CK10: the CK10 sounds like the TF10, but with the mids pulled up the warmth gone, and slightly smoother treble (and I take back my harsh treble and agree with iponderous' word sharper). OK, so the presentation really isn't all that close. Now, I am don't think the CK10 is necessarily more detailed, but it sure is clearer and more transparent than the TF10. The CK10 is the clear winner IMO. Deep bass isn't too different between the two when I have a good seal on the CK10. Oh, and the CK10 seems to have a wider soundstage than the TF10.

foam mushroom..are those the tips from etymotic? i've been using decored olives and they work the best for me at least.

I pretty much agree with your take between the TF10 and CK10. The increased clarity is the first thing that I noticed when I tried the CK10. I haven't compared the soundstage yet since I haven't gotten around to using the TF10 since I got the CK10.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #79 of 114
Yep, the Ety tips. I am going to see how a T-500 works soon...

I am very happy with the CK10 all around, and while the TF10 is reported as having a wide soundstage, I feel many IEMs have caught it and surpassed it.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #80 of 114
Quote:

Yep, the Ety tips. I am going to see how a T-500 works soon...

I am very happy with the CK10 all around, and while the TF10 is reported as having a wide soundstage, I feel many IEMs have caught it and surpassed it.

I am with you about soundstage of 10 pro.

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #81 of 114
I've heard both, and I prefer (and own) the IE8's. The soundstage and the sense of air/space between the instruments is really something else. It's also vastly more comfortable.

The only area where the TF10 outclasses the IE8 is treble definition, detail and extension. It's not a night and day difference though, but it's there if you listen critically.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #82 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am with you about soundstage of 10 pro.

Thanks for letting me know someone agrees
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard both, and I prefer (and own) the IE8's. The soundstage and the sense of air/space between the instruments is really something else. It's also vastly more comfortable.

The only area where the TF10 outclasses the IE8 is treble definition, detail and extension. It's not a night and day difference though, but it's there if you listen critically.

I test the frequency limits of all my headphones with test tones and the IE8 treble extends further than the TF10 for me. The IE8 actually extends further than any other IEM I have tested.

I do agree the the TF10 treble presents the details in an easier to hear way, thought.

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #83 of 114
Quote:

Thanks for letting me know someone agrees
wink.gif

I test the frequency limits of all my headphones with test tones and the IE8 treble extends further than the TF10 for me. The IE8 actually extends further than any other IEM I have tested.

I do agree the the TF10 treble presents the details in an easier to hear way, thought.

This is very much in line with my findings as well. The IE8 has some of the most natural and extended treble I have heard. It does extend noticeably higher than TF10 and ER4P. Both those phones though, have a sharper/snappier treble response that perceptibly makes detail retrieval more obvious. The more delicate, smoother and tad more laid back nature of the IE8s higher frequency response does make for a more subtly detailed presentation.

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #84 of 114
Question about dynamics (IE8) vs. balanced armatures (Triple.fi): Do they internally feel different? I feel like I can "feel" the sound of the IE8--it's a little spooky and sometimes fatiguing (but not in that sparkly kind of way like etymotic--kind of warm bouncing). Is this completely cracked or has anyone else felt a difference between the IE8 and Triple.fi 10? Maybe, its the difference between thick and thin... (I realize I am asking to be mocked...)

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #85 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by imackler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question about dynamics (IE8) vs. balanced armatures (Triple.fi): Do they internally feel different? I feel like I can "feel" the sound of the IE8--it's a little spooky and sometimes fatiguing (but not in that sparkly kind of way like etymotic--kind of warm bouncing). Is this completely cracked or has anyone else felt a difference between the IE8 and Triple.fi 10? Maybe, its the difference between thick and thin... (I realize I am asking to be mocked...)

No mocking from me. When I bought my CKS70 they were the first IEM I had owned where I could feel the music. The effect was profound and what ultimately lead me to buy the IE8. The cool thing is I get that sensation across the entire spectrum with the IE8 vs just the bass in the CKS70.

The TF10 while more detailed in the treble has never given that sensation, they simply give an approximation of it.

Feb 8, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #86 of 114
This is quite interesting haha. When you guys say "feel" the music. Are you indicating that you get a better sense of the varying instrumental textures?
Since I sold all my other phones and kept the IE8 as my one and only till death do us part ( sorry I really can't stop being a fan boy of this phone haha). I can't do as much comparisons as before, but I generally found that armature based phones would get you to the fundamental note with great detail and ease but that dynamic based phones such as the IE8 deliver the overlying and shifting harmonics of that fundamental note more convincingly. I think I need a new armature IEM for comparisons sake.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #87 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by max pl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so its possible to find the TF10s for under $150?
i was excited when i saw them for $194 on amazon. thats like half of MSRP.
(is price talk allowed on this forum? sorry if it isnt)

the lowest buy-it-now price on ebay at this moment is $165 shipped (which brings you to $150 after 10% bing cash back)

personal tip: be sure to request a copy of their original amazon invoice. I've had mine for less than a month, and I've already had to get warranty service for my cables, which required the original invoice.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #88 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is quite interesting haha. When you guys say "feel" the music. Are you indicating that you get a better sense of the varying instrumental textures?
Since I sold all my other phones and kept the IE8 as my one and only till death do us part ( sorry I really can't stop being a fan boy of this phone haha). I can't do as much comparisons as before, but I generally found that armature based phones would get you to the fundamental note with great detail and ease but that dynamic based phones such as the IE8 deliver the overlying and shifting harmonics of that fundamental note more convincingly. I think I need a new armature IEM for comparisons sake.

The mind and the memory in particular, does have a way of playing tricks.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #89 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mind and the memory in particular, does have a way of playing tricks.

I have become quite adept at harnessing these tricks to my advantage particularly where bass response is concerned haha.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #90 of 114
Hello guys!

I've read through this thread and can't see any comparison of the cable/cord setup. How do TF10's and IE8 compare in terms of length of cord, memory wire and quality of the cord itself? Is it possible to replace the cord on IE8's like on the TF10's?

I'm considering replacing my SF5's with new ones. And the one thing that has been bothering me about my current set it the length of the cord - which is a tad to short. In addition the quality of the cord is not something to brag about since I'm on my 3rd replacement cord now. Furthermore, the memory wire that goes around my ears is a bit harsh for my taste.

And a last optional questions that you don't necessarily have to answer (I'm aware that this is a comparison thread between TF10 and IE8): How do they compare to SF5's in terms of sound?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back