iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Nov 15, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #3,572 of 4,252
Just got my response from iFi support. They are sending me out the new volume knob with the orange indicator. Thanks @iFi audio for the great product support!

Yup, you're welcome.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 15, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #3,574 of 4,252
For free? :xf_eek:
Pretty much, I was pleasantly surprised. But I imagine if request start flooding in that could change.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #3,576 of 4,252
Nov 16, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #3,582 of 4,252
Paint it on, presto.

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #3,583 of 4,252
I bought my BL from a shop here in Hong Kong that is likely an authorized dealer because none of the other major HP shops carry iFi products.

I actually lost the Direct/Preamp knob about a week after I bought mine but I did not look into getting a replacement because I didn't know it was possible. I think a practical approach would be for iFi to send a batch of replacement knobs to their dealers and for BL owners, both original and second hand buyers to go there for the replacement (unless the owner is in an area with no such dealers). I wouldn't mind going back to the shop since it would give me an excuse to check out the iCan Pro and that electrostatic Pro unit.

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #3,584 of 4,252
I bought my BL from a shop here in Hong Kong that is likely an authorized dealer because none of the other major HP shops carry iFi products.

I actually lost the Direct/Preamp knob about a week after I bought mine but I did not look into getting a replacement because I didn't know it was possible. I think a practical approach would be for iFi to send a batch of replacement knobs to their dealers and for BL owners, both original and second hand buyers to go there for the replacement (unless the owner is in an area with no such dealers). I wouldn't mind going back to the shop since it would give me an excuse to check out the iCan Pro and that electrostatic Pro unit.
Well if you open a support ticket you would get the knob directly from ifi. But then you cant try the iCan Pro :wink:

Nov 24, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #3,585 of 4,252
The impact of having iDSD BL in your system:

@ryanjsoo can confirm to those things, as he was very kind and assisted me with this whole story.

I recently bought two Edifier Speaker Systems. I might review them in the future, if I have enough time.

The thing is that I really liked one of them from the start (Edifier Luna e25), and I didn't really like the other from the start, even though it is a better system (Edifier S1000DB)

Now, I really wanted to like S1000DB more since it is the better system, at least theoretically, so I thought that to give it more time, since we have a 2-week return window in Romania. So I began experimenting.

Now, those are huge speakers, and they are nothing like your typical laptop-integrated-speakers that I had before them, so, of course, there should have been some adjustment. I am not a burn-in believer, and I never was one to be honest, but I do it for headphones I review, just for the peace of mind of both myself and my readers. Even so, those S1000DB sounded quite bad on the first listen, they lacked any kind of detail, were extremely congested, and although they had a strong bass, they lacked refinement and musical note definition, they basically sounded the a really congested headphone, for example ATH M50. Given their rather steep price and positive reviews so far, I wasn't sure whether this is normal, but I was quite angry and sad at the same time, since I found those at a rather nice price during the Black Friday sales in Romania and I really wanted to enjoy them. Black Friday happened a while ago in Romania, on 17 to be more precise.

It was after 2-3 hours of fiddling that I decided to contact Ryan and talk with him about those S1000DB, to identify whether I had a broken pair and if they need replacement, or if this was their intended sound (kindly keep in mind that ATH M50 series is the one headphone I could never have a honest positive opinion about).

After talking a bit with Ryan, I found out that S1000DB needs some burn-in to reach their full-working state, but I still wasn't quite impressed by this finding, as they sounded quite poorly.

It was then when I started to fiddle with the DAC I've been using, after being tired of the EQ profiles I tried so far (Mind this, I created lots of EQ profiles for people who asked for help, and most of them were quite happy, including @RockStar2005 , so I suppose I know how to EQ something).

Since iDSD was looking at me for a while, I decided to introduce it in the listening rig, even though it would mean that I wasn't able to use any EQ profile anymore. Since one of the worst issues with the S1000DB was how constricted they sounded, I decided to leave the 3D button enabled on iDSD during the tests, as it would probably be a good replacement for the EQ profiles I've been using thus far.

It was at that very moment when I realised how much iDSD BL can improve the sound on an active speaker set.

The sound opened up immediately, and sounds that were coming from a single point on my desk, now felt holographic and had a good width to them. Many details were now starting to present themselves, and many new things were starting to open up in the music I've been playing through those speakers for a while (Big things, like Background Voices, and new instruments playing, like a new trumpet sound in a pop song, or a new cymbal crash that wasn't there mere seconds ago.). I started playing more music, and I was quite impressed with the results with the results I got, everything now had a certain weight to each musical note, there was space in my music, and the speakers which sounded like then music was coming from two keyholes now sounded spacious and real.

I was quite baffled by this finding, and decided to toggle off the 3D button on iDSD, just to see what would happen.

Some of the space and some of the brightness of the music disappeared, but many of the details I was now observing remained there, made everything still sound quite impressive.

I tried switching back to my integrated audio solution, which mind you is a professional level ESS DAC supported solution in a Clevo P775DM3-G laptop, and the sound was quite dull and undynamic again. It became clear that it was the refinement and proper processing of iDSD BL that made music engaging on those speakers, and that without a proper DAC, those speakers sounded like something was missing and they weren't worth their asking price by far.

Now, with iDSD BL in the listening chain, those speakers sound really awesome and I can recommend them as much as @ryanjsoo does, being an awesome listening setup!

I'm really glad iFi made such an awesome DAC device that not only brightens our experience with headphones, but also with speakers, starting with today, iDSD BL being one of the DACs I can recommend the most to speakers owners as well as headphone owners!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back