iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).

1. jwbrent
    Having been the owner of a micro iDSD and finding it a great performer for the price, I decided to upgrade and get the Black Label version. I'm running it in now, so I'm not going to comment on its sound just yet.

I will say I like the color scheme over the silver version, and I plan to put a service ticket in to get a new knob with the orange marker. One question: I don't see a set screw so I presume it just pulls off the pot shaft, but I don't want to damage my new toy, so any comment about this would be great.

I bought the Black Label as an affordable way to drive my Luxman MQ88 tube amplifier and Raidho XT-1s. The XBass+ feature really sounds good with the Raidho mini monitors; clearly there is some coloration of the upper bass, but I can see with some recordings this would enhance the listening experience. The jury is still out on the 3D+ feature since the Raidhos already throw out a holographic soundstage.

My AK240SS is my transport filled to the brim with Hi-Res files I purchased from Pono and HDtracks.

I'll report back whether a $550 device can hold its own in a loudspeaker system valued at $25K, but my hopes are high it will do a good job until I can afford a DAVE or some other such component. Additionally, I will report back on how it sounds with my Utopia headphones.

I bought my son a pair of Sennheiser HD6xx headphones as an xmas gift, and now he will get my silver iDSD to drive them. :L3000:

Last thing, does anyone make an audiophile version cable, 4"-6" in length, that has a micro USB going to the female USB?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    George Taylor likes this.
  2. Mkoll
    Yep just pull the knob straight out.

Forza Audioworks might be able to help you out though I don't see a female USB option on their site. Won't hurt to ask though they make great cables.

jwbrent likes this.
  3. jwbrent
    One other thing, I read that the L/R balance tightness was improved in the BL version when using the volume control at low settings, but my unit appears to be about the same as the micro iDSD. Perhaps because I'm using it on a speaker system any potentiometer tracking issue is more noticeable.

Of course, I can adjust settings on the BL to navigate around this anomaly, but the lucky thing for me is that my Luxman tube amp has both a variable input with volume control and a fixed input. The likelihood the 8K Luxman uses a better pot than the $550 BL is probably assured, so I will just connect the BL to the variable input and change the BL setting from Preamp to Direct.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Dobrescu George likes this.
  4. Dobrescu George
    I get some volume variations until 11 - 12 o'clock or so. It is okay since iDSD BL comes with allk the power modes and with iEMatch.

George Taylor and jwbrent like this.
  5. cardeli22
    Pexonpc (out of the UK but ship everywhere) and mimic cables (out of the USA but ship everywhere).

jwbrent likes this.
  6. cardeli22
    Thanks again for the free replacement nob with the orange indicator. WP_20171204_14_59_48_Rich.jpg WP_20171204_15_06_14_Rich.jpg WP_20171204_15_06_41_Pro.jpg

superuser1, Vartan and Mkoll like this.
  7. Mkoll
    Likewise. Appreciate the great customer service.

8. iFi audio
    :ksc75smile:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://ifi-audio.com/
    Jearly410 and ngoshawk like this.
  9. felix3650
    Hey iFi. I'm also an owner of a iDSD BL, bought here on the forum. Am I elligible for the volume knob?

10. superuser1
    I am in India and wanted to ask @iFi audio the same thing.

11. iFi audio
    Yup, just let us know that you need one via our support platform, to be found here:

http://support.ifi-audio.com

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://ifi-audio.com/
    cardeli22 likes this.
  12. Levanter
    Do I need to install any app in my iPhone for it to work with the BL? I tried using the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter direct to the BL, but no sound is coming out from my IEM.

13. cardeli22
    I didn't but I use a slightly different adapter. I use the old 30 pin camera connection kit with an official apple 30 pin to lighting adapter and the blue cable that came with the ifi BL. It just works.

14. Levanter
    Ok, it worked with my headphones into the 6.2mm plug, but my not with my IEM into the 3.5mm one...

15. Levanter
    oh wait!! it's not a 3.5mm output?? it's for line in with a 3.5mm source? oh damn, sorry my bad....

Jearly410, cardeli22 and superuser1 like this.