iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Mar 31, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #2,836 of 4,252

One thing you might be sure of: the iEMatch switch.  It's easy to get it slightly knocked into another setting.  

For the next test, it would be best to switch it to Ultra and back to no iEMatch, just to make sure.

I've made this mistake with LCD3 before, and wondered why it was 1) quiet and 2) sounded wimpy.  Oops, had iEMatch on :)

Ah you're right sir! IEM match was set to Ultra, thought I had it set to off but maybe it got switched by accident, I'll try again and report back!

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #2,837 of 4,252

Ah you're right sir! IEM match was set to Ultra, thought I had it set to off but maybe it got switched by accident, I'll try again and report back!

Cool--really looking forward to hearing the results!

Also, @iFi audio, very thoughtful, measured response.  Specs don't always predict sonic outcome.

That said, I suspect it'll sound pretty good on normal.  :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2,838 of 4,252

It's a lot more exciting if you have something like the Andromeda on and knock IEMatch from "Ultra-Sensitive" to "Off". Or, for the unlucky, bump from "Eco" into "Turbo".
biggrin.gif

Haha!  That'll wake you up in the morning!!

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #2,839 of 4,252
Wow what a difference that made lol (no duh). So it can DEFINITELY drive the LCD-4, color me impressed. Still needs the Turbo setting but sounds prettty damn good. Actually make that crazy good for an amp I picked up for $400 bucks. My apologies to iFi for stating that it wasn't capable, that's just me being an idiot lol.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #2,840 of 4,252
Wow what a difference that made lol (no duh). So it can DEFINITELY drive the LCD-4, color me impressed. Still needs the Turbo setting but sounds prettty damn good. Actually make that crazy good for an amp I picked up for $400 bucks. My apologies to iFi for stating that it wasn't capable, that's just me being an idiot lol.

Not surprised to be honest. I've heard other people say the BL can drive LCD-4s. There's always the talk about "It scales and you get a lot more with the X DAC/amp" (something everyone read ad nauseum with the HD800) but while that it true, it doesn't mean you can't reach decent, enjoyable quality with more modest gear. The BL has a lot of punch. I paid full price for it but am not complaining yet. Let's hot it's reliable long-term.

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,841 of 4,252
Yeah the LCD-4 still scales but there's nothing bad about this pairing. Pretty cool to know you can bring a laptop, the BL and be able to enjoy your LCD-4s when you travel though.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #2,842 of 4,252
Yeah the LCD-4 still scales but there's nothing bad about this pairing. Pretty cool to know you can bring a laptop, the BL and be able to enjoy your LCD-4s when you travel though.

No doubt. I slightly overpaid for mine, but still fine with it. Very interesting model.

XBass+ is pretty decent, I actually have it on almost all the time with the HD 800. Sometimes an album will already be mastered too bass-heavy and it becomes too bloated, but it's not common with the 800. Pretty decent bass enhancement, much better that what I've heard with some DSP-based enhancements (or even EQ tweaks).

The more I use it, the more I conclude that at this time my main issue with it is the size. Would be interesting to have this thing retain all flexibility and power but in a somewhat smaller format. It would absolutely trounce the Mojo then in every way. There's a challenge for iFi Audio.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #2,843 of 4,252

No doubt. I slightly overpaid for mine, but still fine with it. Very interesting model.

XBass+ is pretty decent, I actually have it on almost all the time with the HD 800. Sometimes an album will already be mastered too bass-heavy and it becomes too bloated, but it's not common with the 800. Pretty decent bass enhancement, much better that what I've heard with some DSP-based enhancements (or even EQ tweaks).

The more I use it, the more I conclude that at this time my main issue with it is the size. Would be interesting to have this thing retain all flexibility and power but in a somewhat smaller format. It would absolutely trounce the Mojo then in every way. There's a challenge for iFi Audio.

When I tested them head - to - head, I preferred iDSD Micro (silver) over Mojo by a considerable margin. I have no idea what the deal is with Mojo, it didn't work well at all with me even though there are countless other devices that go for a similar signature and that I really likes. And I do like Chord's Hugo iteration a lot, same for other products. Just not Mojo. I will surely try Mojo again soon, but until then my impression remains that iDSD Micro is closer to my ideals than Mojo 
beerchug.gif

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #2,844 of 4,252
any news on the draws regarding the demo BLs to the people who shared their review ?

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,845 of 4,252
Has anyone tested the BL's USB in with a PS4? I'm considering buying a BL Micro post-haste and using it as a totable preamp on vacation at an off-season beach house. The owners (or their churldren) are gamers who seem not to mind wretched sound equipment.

After we're home, my grillfiend and I will return to more common use-case scenarios.

The BL seems to be the Swiss army knife that everyone loves to wave. Here's moping it has the blade I need for odd (and odder) vacations.

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,846 of 4,252

The only headphones (if we call them that) we ever encountered that the iDSD micro left us wishing for a trifle more output are the.... AKG K-1000. 74dB/1mW or 83dB/1V, ouch!

The AKG K-1000 are probably the most difficult to drive headphones on Earth and really need an iCAN Pro to drive them as hard as they can handle, followed by the 600 ohm AKG K-240 (88dB/1mW or 90dB/1V) and Hifiman HE-6 (77dB/1mW or 90dB/1V). The latter two we've found to be driven well by the iDSD micro BL.

Among many others, AKG K-1000, K-240 600 ohm and HE-6 are used by our development team to evaluate our products.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 2, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #2,847 of 4,252
Just bought a BL. I couldn't believe the deal I got for it. I wasn't necessarily looking for one but was too good of a deal not to get. Can't wait to try this connected to my X5iii.

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #2,850 of 4,252

Thanks for posting the follow-up, Goldendarko. Nice to know.

Enjoy your BL--I am still enjoying mine as much as when I first purchased it, which (for me) means it is quite good. I often tire of gear after a few months, but this one is expertly balanced and super enjoyable, no matter what you pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back