iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Apr 13, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #2,866 of 4,252
The power!

The sound! 

What is going on?! 

I had no idea iDSD Micro BL is this good! 

Dudes! We need to talk more about this thing! IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!! I love the sound with Meze 99 Neo!!! 

I'll be coming back with more impressions, but man, this thing sounds so freaking awesome... I didn't expect it to, but it is incredible! 

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #2,867 of 4,252
I'm quoting myself, but I'm literally blown away by the sound 
gs1000.gif

And now I have to rewrite my review for 99 Neo lol 
biggrin.gif

iFi iDSD Micro BL makes 99 Neo sound even better than they do from my phone and custom DAC solution! @iFi audio  created something that makes awesome headphones sound super awesome!

To explain my excitement: 

The details are even better, soundstage is even better, power and energy of every song is even better. iDSD Micro BL makes music shine through so nicely with 99 Neo. 

Given that I had already written most of my review, I'm baffled to see that now I have even more things to say after hearing the combination. The level of details is hard to put in words. It is almost like every other DAC I had around was extremely veiled and iFi came in and took off that veil. 

I was slightly biased against BL thinking that it won't blow me away and that it'll be meh... I was never more wrong!!! This thing can easily pull more details than any other DAC / AMP I have around. The way it makes 99 Neo sound, it is really worth its money and the combo is incredible.

A more detailed review on sound incoming. But if you were wondering how good is BL, then I gotta say - it is incredibly good.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #2,868 of 4,252
Have you tried it on the insane gain setting?

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #2,869 of 4,252
Have you tried it on the insane gain setting?

Not with 99 Neo 
biggrin.gif

With the middle setting, it is already way too loud at 12 o'clock 

I trust this thing to fully drive HD800. I was happy with HD800 driven from a FiiO E12 to be honest, but given the effects this wicked witchery has on 99 Neo, I can't even imagine how awesomely it can drive literally anything 
beerchug.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #2,870 of 4,252
As for my further thoughts: 

My actual level of excitement over this combo: 

I caught only two hours of sleep last night. A combination of going to sleep late due to work and having to wake up for more work as Easter is coming led me to sleep only two hours. I had to work for the past eight hours and then I barely managed to make time to pick iDSD BL up. Romania celebrates Easter and we need to make space in our work schedule to afford a few days of time off, so I was in one of the worst moods I've been in a while due to all this fatigue.

I unboxed iDSD BL to see how it looks in person. Was pleasantly impressed by the packaging and many accessories, but I can barely keep my eyes open...

I said I should start a single song to see how it actually sounds like. Wasn't expecting much, and knowing that I'm both tired and kinda sad that I didn't even finish all my work, I thought I was going to stop after a single song and put it back in its box and continue looking at it after Easter.

It has been over a hour now. I should have been sleeping a day ago, but I can't stop listening to this thing!!! 

I am literally wearing iDSD Micr BL + Meze 99 Neo and I can't stop. I didn't get this enthused about Wa22 and other devices. The clear, balanced, detailed, well placed and natural sound of iDSD BL is incredible. 

To describe it, iDSD is transparent. But compared to many other DAC/AMP (s), it feels to me like it renders details really well, gives instruments a lot of air to breathe and the soundstage is so good. 

The separation between instruments is incredible as well. 

I'll probably fall asleep or fatigue pass-out while still listening 
gs1000.gif

Sorry, I'm just excited that I found something to give me this levels of enjoyment. The last few days I had to do so much work that I was feeling a bit down 
redface.gif

The natural, enthusiastic and warm/friendly tonality of the combo is baffling to witness.The bass is strong, fast and well controlled. Dynamic range is insane. I... It is freaking insane. I always thought that my past devices had a good dynamic range. This is a while new level entirely. The textures are incredible as well. I honestly never imagined that a DAC/AMP could make this much of a difference... 

The control and authority iDSD has over the headphones is also something unique. I love how it makes the headphone sound more controlled. More defined and refined. This happens with all headphones that are plugged in. 

(I have none of the enhancements engaged, power on the middle setting and no DSP, no EQ, just iDSD BL + Meze 99 Neo)

Hope that everyone is having the same levels of fun!! 

Time to stress test this witchery! 

Okay. 

So the song for this will be something insanely difficult with tons of instruments and effects and that can easily distort and sound awful on a setup. 

Found it. 

Dance Gavin Dance - I'm down in brown town

This song has 3-4 guitar notes sang at a 1/4 of a second difference at the same time the drums are hit with breath taking speed and the voices almost never stop during the song. 

And it does it. 

In fact, I never heard this song sang so well. There is zero trace of distortion. The guitars are spot-on both in detail, texture and tonality. The bass is also whole and natural sounding. It is strong and slams when it needs to. 

Time to stop writing and enjoy the sound until I can't stay awake anymore! 
gs1000.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #2,871 of 4,252
Not with 99 Neo :D

With the middle setting, it is already way too loud at 12 o'clock 

I trust this thing to fully drive HD800. I was happy with HD800 driven from a FiiO E12 to be honest, but given the effects this wicked witchery has on 99 Neo, I can't even imagine how awesomely it can drive literally anything :beerchug:  

I tried it with all my headphones. Insabe gain adds so much weight and body to the sound. Vole control does get tricky though.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,872 of 4,252
Agreed . Absolutely love my BL. The battery seems to last forever. Well not forever but it might exceed the 12 hr spec. Been using it with 2 daps and it still had a charge at the end of the day on first day of use. 

SQ is off the chain nice using my TH-X00. Unbelievable actually. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #2,873 of 4,252
  Agreed . Absolutely love my BL. The battery seems to last forever. Well not forever but it might exceed the 12 hr spec. Been using it with 2 daps and it still had a charge at the end of the day on first day of use. 

SQ is off the chain nice using my TH-X00. Unbelievable actually. 

This thing broke my sense of time. I need to sleep yet I cannot stop listening to it! What is going on! I'm using Meze 99 Neo and I'm shocked. Those headphones have so much potential to be unlocked when adding iDSD BL! 

I tried it with all my headphones. Insabe gain adds so much weight and body to the sound. Vole control does get tricky though.

This is the only thing that comes to mind! 

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #2,874 of 4,252
The powah is undeniable. Love the bass and 3D switches too. 

I was very impressed on open listen. Does anyone know if breaking in the BL adds to what is already incredible sound on the BL?? Did several days of full use all day and recharge cycle. 

The thing sound so good from the get go. Don't know what to think if it actually gets better over time. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,875 of 4,252
  The powah is undeniable. Love the bass and 3D switches too. 

I was very impressed on open listen. Does anyone know if breaking in the BL adds to what is already incredible sound on the BL?? Did several days of full use all day and recharge cycle. 

The thing sound so good from the get go. Don't know what to think if it actually gets better over time. 

Barely started listening to it 
biggrin.gif

Or rather it feels this way. 

It's been three hours now. 

I cannot keep myself awake yet I continue only so that I don't have to stop the music! 

Someone needs to stop me, but after this last song. This has been my mental state for the last two hours 
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,876 of 4,252
This witchery in a black box has enough body and slam for metal and rap, spot-on tonality for acoustic and classical, and even enough speed and agility for punk!!! 

The offspring never felt snappier 
gs1000.gif

All tests done with Meze 99 Neo. I got a feeling that it will make anything sound nice, but it really makes 99 Neo rise to another level entirely. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #2,878 of 4,252
This witchery in a black box has enough body and slam for metal and rap, spot-on tonality for acoustic and classical, and even enough speed and agility for punk!!! 

The offspring never felt snappier :gs1000smile:

All tests done with Meze 99 Neo. I got a feeling that it will make anything sound nice, but it really makes 99 Neo rise to another level entirely. 

Great... you make me miss the tour unit already :'( the original idsd is still good tho :D

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2,879 of 4,252
  With my Beyerdynamic DT1990 on Forza Noir HPC cable or the Focal Utopia, the IDSD-Black+iPurifier2 is symply fantastic for the price ! 

I heard setups costing up to the most expensive setups ever made. I don't think that it even matters how much it costs, iDSD BL is incredible for any price. It is the thing, not just a thing! 

I didn't hear any other iFi products before to be honest and I don't know almost anything about iDSD except for its sound. I'm searching for info on how to set it to charge, how to know when it is charged and such. 

But I'm totally blown away by the sound! Wholeheartedly prefer if over Ha1 + Wa22 in tonality, enjoyment and general presentation. Details and textures live up to any price range for a setup with Meze 99 Neo and ie800
gs1000.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #2,880 of 4,252
Great... you make me miss the tour unit already :'( the original idsd is still good tho
biggrin.gif

The only other iFi product I ever tested was the original iDSD and I loved it as well back then, but now that I have the chance to hear iDSD BL in my own room, my own music with my headphones and you know just being in known conditions I'm totally blown away! 

Pretty sure the original is also great as well since I remember loving its sound back then! 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back