Ibasso D4 / T3 Review Thread
Nov 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #46 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been walking around the NYC street which is full of iPhone, BB and various cellphones. didn't notice any RFi. I have it connected to my 5800xm, Clip+ in same pocket, did not heard anything other than music itself.

Just wondering how you compare the sound of Clip+ > phones vs. Clip+ > D4 > phones?

I'm mostly getting it for use with a laptop (ie, the USB DAC), but I also use a Clip+, but haven't really been planning on carting around the D4 when I'm out with the Clip...

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #47 of 445
You guys do know what an actual review is, dont you ? Skylab and HeadphoneAddict write extensive reviews : this thread seems to be more about how great the T3 is going to be, with a few assurances from those who actually have the thing. As someone else pointed out, there hasnt been a whole lot of anything on the D4, much less an actual review ....

Can we please put a little thought into how we title new threads ?

Impressions <> 'review'
Discussion <> 'review'
Critique could be part of a review, but it needs to be a little more in depth than anything I've seen here. YMMV.

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #48 of 445
Reviews come in many forms. One line or a bunch.

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #49 of 445
Jamato, your contributions to this thread have contained (a lot) more actual information than anything we have seen from the OP, who seems to be consumed by the packaging and delivery schedule. I look forward to hearing your comparison of the two amps.

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #50 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jamato, your contributions to this thread have contained (a lot) more actual information than anything we have seen from the OP, who seems to be consumed by the packaging and delivery schedule. I look forward to hearing your comparison of the two amps.

I understand what you want. I guess for myself, if an amp does the frequencies "correctly" and has the dynamics, transparency and decent depth and width and someone I know to have enough experience to define this and someone I know from past experience to have a good track record, that is all the info I need. That an amp does something with certain recordings is nice but if it is right it is right and that is all I need to know. A good amp will be right for all types of music because it is neutral and just putting out the signal in the purest form possible "after" being amplified. The better amps get, which they really have over the last few years, the more you hear of the recording.

So to my ear the D4 and T3 are living up to high end sound. Will there be better amps? Sure why not but from what I am hearing, the top tier amps are closer and closer to that magical musical experience on good recordings.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #51 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So to my ear the D4 and T3 are living up to high end sound. Will there be better amps? Sure why not but from what I am hearing, the top tier amps are closer and closer to that magical musical experience on good recordings.

Thanks for that - it helps folk like myself narrow the field from 10 to 2 or 3
wink_face.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #52 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...what can I describe or discuss until I receive the amps. John is a tremendous head-fier and at the top of my list. Estreeter, since you hijacked "my" thread, Ill hijack my own too in thanking John myself for his for quelling your impedance, excuse me, impatience with my thread...

popcorn.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #53 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No bass boost, but I only used that with the RE0, don't need it for the q-jays.

Hi, I am new to all the portable HiFi stuff.
I was strongly recommended by this Forum, so I bought a RE0.
Which I love the detail and clean high and mids.

I am thinking of getting a portable amp for it.
And I am sort of between a Fiio E5 or a iBasso T3.
How is iBasso matching with RE0,
does it give it that extra Bass it needed by tune in the correct gain.
Thanks,

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #55 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by hisame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I am new to all the portable HiFi stuff.
I was strongly recommended by this Forum, so I bought a RE0.
Which I love the detail and clean high and mids.

I am thinking of getting a portable amp for it.
And I am sort of between a Fiio E5 or a iBasso T3.
How is iBasso matching with RE0,
does it give it that extra Bass it needed by tune in the correct gain.
Thanks,

Do not worry about the bass on the T3...it is right there, perfectly represented...I cannot believe it, perfectly with FULL SIZE PHONES!!!

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #56 of 445
Comparing the T4 to the T3 shows it a totally different sounding amp. Better? Maybe, but certainly not just a minor upgrade.

In comparing the two, I didn't think there would be much of a difference. This may be because they look identical. The only difference is the bass boost button is replaced by a second (!?) gain switch.

Also, the charger works much better. I don't know if it was just a peculiarity of my T4 but charging was always a iffy proposition. I had to plug it in very carefully and not touch it much or else the red charging light would extinguish. This one plugs in with a satisfying little click. Play time appears to be around 20 hours, same as the T4.

As to sound, the first thing I notices was the mids or vocals. I used Dylan's Tell Tale Signs, a fairly well produced album. His voice shot out as compared to the T4 where it was set back in the mix more. At first this seemed odd, but sounded more natural with use.

The bass is more pronounce as well. It seems as if they took the bass boost button out but left it on. Bass never seemed to much of a problem with the T4 and rarely used the bass boost anyways. That being said, I did like the increased bass.

Highs were a tad harsh, especially after coming off the more warm sound of the T4. With time they may mellow out a bit.

The gain switches mystify me. I never needed the gain switch on the T4. Now there's two of them! Also, the power seems to be greater. On the T4 volume was set at around 6, with the T3 I was surprised to see it dialed back down to two. Leaving the bass boost in would have been my preference.

Overall the sound was much more transparent than the T4. Instrument separation was improved. Gone is the warm sound many commented on with the T4. Whether this is good or bad is up to your personal preference. I know that I enjoyed coming home to the warm bath of the T4 after a day in the crystal palace of my AMP3/RE0 combo. But, this new sound did start to grow on me.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #57 of 445
Quote:

Comparing the T4 to the T3 shows it a totally different sounding amp. Better? Maybe, but certainly not just a minor upgrade.

In comparing the two, I didn't think there would be much of a difference. This may be because they look identical. The only difference is the bass boost button is replaced by a second (!?) gain switch.

Also, the charger works much better. I don't know if it was just a peculiarity of my T4 but charging was always a iffy proposition. I had to plug it in very carefully and not touch it much or else the red charging light would extinguish. This one plugs in with a satisfying little click. Play time appears to be around 20 hours, same as the T4.

As to sound, the first thing I notices was the mids or vocals. I used Dylan's Tell Tale Signs, a fairly well produced album. His voice shot out as compared to the T4 where it was set back in the mix more. At first this seemed odd, but sounded more natural with use.

The bass is more pronounce as well. It seems as if they took the bass boost button out but left it on. Bass never seemed to much of a problem with the T4 and rarely used the bass boost anyways. That being said, I did like the increased bass.

Highs were a tad harsh, especially after coming off the more warm sound of the T4. With time they may mellow out a bit.

The gain switches mystify me. I never needed the gain switch on the T4. Now there's two of them! Also, the power seems to be greater. On the T4 volume was set at around 6, with the T3 I was surprised to see it dialed back down to two. Leaving the bass boost in would have been my preference.

Overall the sound was much more transparent than the T4. Instrument separation was improved. Gone is the warm sound many commented on with the T4. Whether this is good or bad is up to your personal preference. I know that I enjoyed coming home to the warm bath of the T4 after a day in the crystal palace of my AMP3/RE0 combo. But, this new sound did start to grow on me.

I agree...though I have not used a T4, volume is fantastic...instrument separation fantastic, I was using full size phones and did not need either gain switches...however I know that some phones are demanding and would require the use of those...also I found the bass full and no need for a bass boost. I personally like to hear the music as it was intended with no added flavor.

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #58 of 445
I popped my Etys on there, which I think are my hardest phones to drive, and they didn't need an adjustment in gain. So, what would? Also, these are designed for IEM's (at least that's what it says on the case). If they can drive the Ety4s, what would be more difficult to drive, justifying the four gain switches?

I don't really care too much one way or the other. All these devices invariably have features that I never use (e.g. EQ). Even the AMP3 has a line out feature that I doubt I'll ever use and that's the sparest machine around.

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #59 of 445
paulybatz, can you understand my frustration as someone who is interested in the iBasso D4 when I begin to wade through this thread and find folk comparing the T3 with the T4 ? It might be easier if we call the D4 the 'Mamba', but whatever you call it, that amp has had very little discussion in this thread.

T3
iBasso

T4
iBasso

D4
iBasso

I suspect that the D4 is a more powerful amp than either of the T-series, and that interests me because I favour fullsize cans over IEMs.

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #60 of 445
Quote:

thanks very much for the impressions! can you tell me more about the treble? was it grainy, or just sharp? i'm curious how they would get along with IEMs with a warmer sound signature.

was there any impact on soundstage?

thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back