Ibasso D4 / T3 Review Thread
Jan 6, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #301 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by hjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just landed on this thread and got interested in the Mamba. Since the IBasso site is temporarily down, I have a newcomer's basic question which I hope someone can help me with: is the Mamba a headphone amp/Dac? Since it seems to have an input on the front, is this for a player (Ipod for ex) or what? Thanks.

Yep. You can use the DAC by connecting the D4 to your computer via USB (I'm not sure what else would use a USB connection?), or use it as just an amp.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #302 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to Miguel, I got to try both amps with borrowed ES7's. The sound was thin and the treble was bright, and the bass was rolled off. Basically, the regular attributes of a 7 in comparison to a 9 or a 10.

What???
very_evil_smiley.gif
Actually I have replaced the op-amps w/ a TopKit from HiFlight and the D4 sounds even better.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just landed on this thread and got interested in the Mamba. Since the IBasso site is temporarily down, I have a newcomer's basic question which I hope someone can help me with: is the Mamba a headphone amp/Dac? Since it seems to have an input on the front, is this for a player (Ipod for ex) or what? Thanks.

It is both a DAC and an Amp. The USB is be fed music from a PC/Laptop, however the iPod can not feed digital out of it port unless you use a Wadia or an Onkyo doc device. Even w/ either of these two devices the output is via an optical or coaxial cable.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #304 of 445
It IS both. But if you want to use the DAC, you have to connect it by USB. If you want to use it with a player, you connect it via the 3.5mm input like any other portable amp...

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #305 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha , well maybe to your finely tuned ears , but I'm a bit of a newb so do you think it would be worth getting the amp? Is the difference enough amped and unamped?

A good quality amp will improve the output of the ES-7's without a doubt.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #307 of 445
Jan 7, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #308 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good quality amp will improve the output of the ES-7's without a doubt.

Is this a subtle way of saying you didn't like the amps?
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #310 of 445
I just ordered the Denon D2000s.I can't wait to hear them!
regular_smile .gif
I'm in need of a amp/DAC.Will the D4 power the power hungry D2000s.By the way who is HiFlight and does he have a link?

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #312 of 445
Must first send THANKS (TO Mmaroyo for many emails regarding the sound of the opamps) and TO HEADPHONEADDICT FOR HELPING ME FIGURE OUT (BY FORWARDING VERY DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS) HOW TO SWAP THE OPAMP, NOW FEELING VERY SMALL, COULDNT FIGURE IT OUT, WELL NOT THAT I COULDNT, JUST DIDNT WISH TO DO ANYTHING TO HURT THE AMP, SO ILL TAKE THE HIT ON MY EGO...BUT THANKS HPA AS ALWAYS FOR HELPING ME OUT IN A PINCH!!!!

The overall sound is definitely better, what is better, that is subjective, good sound to one is perhaps not to someone else. Some like warm, tubey sound, while others like myself prefer a very analytical sound.

What I find is that the opamp swap ups the quality of the amp for sure, by a significant margin.

I felt it definitely improved the sound IMO; the clarity was much greater, transparency is the audiophile word.

Definitely the sound stage is much more open, deeper bass, higher highs and wider...classical guitar sounds much more detailed than before

However, having greater detail and sensitivity means, much more revealing in terms of sound...which means your source has to be that much better

In trying a CD source...as well some other ripped high bitrate stuff, sounds fantastic.

However, now streaming music isnt as pleasurable because it is not as forgiving now as the stock opamp set was.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #313 of 445
I'm really torn between buying the T3 and the D4. I would mostly use the amp in a portable way with my IEMs (Westone 3 and UE Triple.Fi) and with my iPod Touch 2g and Cowon S9. I don't know much about amps and DACs, so here are my questions:

1. Is the D4's DAC an improvement over my desktop computer's Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio soundcard? I would mostly use my Audio-Technica AD-700 with the DAC.

2. Is the D4's amp that much better than the T3 with the equipment I have that it's worth the extra $100 and extra bulk? I would use an LOD cable for my iPod Touch and the headphone out of my S9.

Thanks for any impressions you guys can provide.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #314 of 445
The D4s DAC does not have any competition with any soundcard, even if its worth a grand, the quality of products used in the D4 are much better.

I haven'y heard the T3 but it should be reasonably good with IEMs - read Skylabs review in the portable amp roundup.
But D4 stands as one of the top 3 portable amps, which should not be compared to T3.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #315 of 445
I cannot wait to hear my D4 (ordered yesterday) and my soon too arrive D2000s!
popcorn.gif
L3000.gif
It is awesome that the D4 is being compared to legendary amps like the Preditor,3Move,Pico,Little Dot and so on.This must be one special amp.Though iBasso should of added the rechargeable option.Oh well,if it sounds as good as it has been said too,then it will be worth the inconvenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back