Ibasso D4 / T3 Review Thread
Dec 31, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #286 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will be fine with the D2000.

I'm curious as to what fine means. Will it make a noticeable difference in the sound the cans are outputting? Or will it just make them louder?

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #287 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by abreviews /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious as to what fine means. Will it make a noticeable difference in the sound the cans are outputting? Or will it just make them louder?

Well, I am assuming that what you are using to drive the D2000 with now isn't controlling the bass or driving them properly. The D2000 have worked well with most of my portable amps, as have Ultrasone and Grado headphones, but since my D2000 were sold this summer for a pair of heavily modded D7000 I have not listened to the D2000 with the T3.

This why I meant "should be fine", because it's an educated guess posted to re-assure you that the D2000 tend to not be as hard to drive as other phones. The T3 is a nice amp, and I don't see it NOT sounding nice with the D2000. The T3 should be able to control the bass well enough, and it should not subtract from the D2000 already recessed mids, nor do I expect it to make them more sibilant.

If you asked me what portable amp sounded best with the D2000, I would say the Meier 3MOVE, but based on what I have heard with the T3 I think it will be fine. Oops, I just said that again.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #288 of 445
Okay, that's better
biggrin.gif

I was just concerned that I had spent $120 on an amp that wouldn't have much of an affect on the overall sound quality. Like I said, I'm new to this and I'm bound to make mistakes in my purchases... I would just hate to have already made one. I think I'm just going to sit back and enjoy what I have instead of worrying about what I could have had
beyersmile.png

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #289 of 445
I just bought the T3 from my local store. Tested out the D4,T3 and T3D.

My ranking for these would be D4>T3>T3D. The D4 is a clear first between these 3 amp. The soundstage is much larger in the D4 and the bass impact is Wohoo! The high is smoother as well.

GOD it is really tiny in size and won't cause too much damage to my wallet!
biggrin.gif

This won me over to purchase the T3 instead of the D4. Since I don't have much use for the USB DAC.

The SQ differences between T3 and T3D is hard to differentiate unless you are listening to it really hard. But if you are walking around with it, you wouldn't notice it. The T3D digital volume control is very tempting but not worth the extra USD$20 IMO since it does the same thing as the analog.

The T3D volume would be the same as your last used volume when you switch it off and on again.

Now to test it out if it can power a 250ohm DT880 when I get home.
[Edit] There would be clipping when It get past 7 on High gain.
frown.gif

It has to be at a volume slightly lower than what I prefer from my DT880

Jan 1, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #290 of 445
I haven't done a ton of reviews or a/b comparisons, but I'll try to do my best. Just received my T3 from ibasso and have been using it with my PFE's. My main problem was getting volume out of my laptop, and obviously this fixes that. Although my laptop doesn't seem to have a line-out port, so I plug it into the headphone jack, and it produces a different (fuller, slightly veiled?) sound from when I connect it to the LOD on my older ipod nano. There's also a slight hiss when connected to my laptop but not with the nano. I'm going to assume this is because I'm not using a true line out with my laptop, although the port was described as headphone/line out so whatever. Anyways I'm going to be comparing it on my headphone out on my nano for the most part.
To be honest, whether due to my inexperience or the amp needing to burn in or whatever, I didn't notice too much of a difference when plugged in thru the LOD. For the most part though I was trying to compare the presentation for specific instruments/melodies rather than listen to the overall presentation, and once I did I could notice the improvements.
Biggest differences I felt were the trebles were smoother. The PFE's are fairly bright/cold out of the box, and although the highs never bothered me, I could see how they couldn't be someone's cup of tea. The T3 took away any semblance of sibilance, and overall just gave the headphones a fuller, slightly warmer sound. Bass feels more present, but not drastically so. When my E5 comes in I'm going to have to make another comparison, and if there's not a huge difference to my ears I'll sell the T3. So far though I am enjoying them. I'm not really experienced in analytical listening or whatever, so there are probably things I'm not catching.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #292 of 445
Hi guys, I'm about to make my first amp purchase and I'm hoping I could get some guidance.

I'm trying to decide between the Little Dot MK I and the iBasso T3. They're both around the same price.

For those not familiar with the LD MK I, here are its specs:

Quote:

Suitable Headphone Impedance: 8 ohm to 600 ohm
Power Output:
600 ohm: 30mW
300 ohm: 60mW
120 ohm: 150mW
32 ohm: 500mW
Frequency response: 10 hz~200 Khz (-1dB)
THD+N: 0.001% (@32 ohms 100mW)
Gain: 2, 4, 8 times adjustable
Input jack: 3.5mm stereo
Headphone jack: 3.5mm stereo
Dimensions: 95mm (L) x 70 mm (W) x 24mm(H)
Weight: 192g(including batteries)

I'll be using whichever amp I get with my iPod touch and the Storm Cyclone PR2 IEMs, which have the following specs:

Quote:

Driver units : 11mm
Rated impedance: 24 ohm
Sensitivity: 104dB
Frequency : 20Hz to 20kHz
Distortion : <=1%
Channel balance : <=1dB
Rated input power: 10mW
Maximum output power : 40mW
Plug size : 3.5mm stereo plug
Cord length : 1.3M O.F.C

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #293 of 445
It has been a while since I listened to the Little Dot Mk1, as I recall it was a very nice sounding unit which sounded better than its asking price. You may wish to send vorlon1 a PM since he owns it to get his input.

The T3 is also a nice sounding portable amp and a much smaller unit. Thus easier to carry around specially for sports. Good luck.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #294 of 445
I forgot to mention that for the last 3 days I have been using the D4 to feed the HiFiMAN EF5/HE5 using Apple Lossless via iTunes. The sound is very engaging and mellow, the D4 does not have the extension of the Monarchy Audio NM24 but its presentation is quite musical. This would make a great 2nd listening station or an office rig.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #295 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot to mention that for the last 3 days I have been using the T4 to feed the HiFiMAN EF5/HE5 using Apple Lossless via iTunes. The sound is very engaging and mellow, the D4 does not have the extension of the Monarchy Audio NM24 but its presentation is quite musical. This would make a great 2nd listening station or an office rig.

Did you mean to say T4 or D4 in the 1st sentence?

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #296 of 445
Spent all last week into this week listening to the D4 DAC and using the amp battery powered...just love it. You just cannot beat this amp for 2 and some change, full, deep, complete sound! Just ordered a couple tysonic low discharge 9V!

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #298 of 445
Thanks to Miguel, I got to try both amps with borrowed ES7's. The sound was thin and the treble was bright, and the bass was rolled off. Basically, the regular attributes of a 7 in comparison to a 9 or a 10.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #299 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to Miguel, I got to try both amps with borrowed ES7's. The sound was thin and the treble was bright, and the bass was rolled off. Basically, the regular attributes of a 7 in comparison to a 9 or a 10.

Haha , well maybe to your finely tuned ears , but I'm a bit of a newb so do you think it would be worth getting the amp? Is the difference enough amped and unamped?

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #300 of 445
I just landed on this thread and got interested in the Mamba. Since the IBasso site is temporarily down, I have a newcomer's basic question which I hope someone can help me with: is the Mamba a headphone amp/Dac? Since it seems to have an input on the front, is this for a player (Ipod for ex) or what? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back