IBasso Audio IT03
Nov 15, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #1,156 of 3,344
  @nmatheis sir, or anyone who have tried, how would you compare the IT03 with the A91? I know the comparison is unfair and the latter would probably be better. Just curious how IT03 stand up against Fidue's current flagship. TIA!

A91 and IT03 sound quite different, particularly their tonality. A91 'tries' to emit a warmer thicker tone and note weight which doesn't work in my favour or its own (imo), it may sound a little more grown up and refined but it means nothing when the technical skill is just 'ok'. IT03 on the other hand inherits a cleaner leaner sound, the clarity stands out easily, ita airy and its spacious even in comparison to A91. Sirius at its price point didn't win a gold start from me, and I adored the A83. Sirius is 'ok' BUT for almost $1k ok is not enough. FIdue could/should have done better.

Even after reading your post this afternoon I A/B them quickly with Cayin I5, if I had to choose one I'd take the IT03 regardless of any price tag labeled on top. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,158 of 3,344
A bit more bite from the bass on the FLC8S could have been perfect. What config do you have on the FLC8S? Thank you for this comparison, it helps drawing a line between the 2.

Thank you so much for the impressions. The FLC8S wasn't particularly airy or spacious, but I really loved the fun factor and tuning. Learnt to appreciate and actually prefer an airier sig now, so the IT03 might just be the ticket.

I use red, gray, gold with FLC8S. You can get airing by using just clear or gray tuning plugs and gold or green nozzles. I've just gotten used to the fuller sound of red, gray, gold. I really should try some new combinations, though. It's a great IEM, and I find IT03 very nicely complements it.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #1,160 of 3,344
  Hi, does anyone have better replacement cables to recommend? The ones from iBasso are kinda garbage, they tend to "twirl" by itself rather easily.

If you let the cable hang and also put it between your fingers and run your fingers down the cable it should be fine. The cable is custom not off the shelf. It is 6 nines mono crystal copper. Everything about the cable was hand picked for quality but nothing is perfect.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 15, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #1,161 of 3,344

Hi, does anyone have better replacement cables to recommend? The ones from iBasso are kinda garbage, they tend to "twirl" by itself rather easily.

If you let the cable hang and also put it between your fingers and run your fingers down the cable it should be fine. The cable is custom not off the shelf. It is 6 nines mono crystal copper. Everything about the cable was hand picked for quality but nothing is perfect.

It's hard to convince people who don't believe in cables and the quality of the pure wire material, and only look at the cable as a pretty wire to accessorize the look of their headphones
biggrin.gif
  I have way too many overpriced cables, and still use the original stock cable (though hope to check out balanced one, some day) with IT03.  Too much silver or silver plating and the sound is off balance with extra brightness; too much copper or the hybrid combination of silver/copper and the bass impact gets a bit overwhelming.  IT03 stock cable strikes a perfect balance in sound, imho.  The cable can get tangled, that's true.  That's why you need to wrap it around before storage, and also the trick of running your fingers down works.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,162 of 3,344

A91 and IT03 sound quite different, particularly their tonality. A91 'tries' to emit a warmer thicker tone and note weight which doesn't work in my favour or its own (imo), it may sound a little more grown up and refined but it means nothing when the technical skill is just 'ok'. IT03 on the other hand inherits a cleaner leaner sound, the clarity stands out easily, ita airy and its spacious even in comparison to A91. Sirius at its price point didn't win a gold start from me, and I adored the A83. Sirius is 'ok' BUT for almost $1k ok is not enough. FIdue could/should have done better.

Even after reading your post this afternoon I A/B them quickly with Cayin I5, if I had to choose one I'd take the IT03 regardless of any price tag labeled on top. 

Oh boy, should I call myself lucky? I have the i5 and I particularly enjoy this pair than my friend's ak240.  They're almost after the 200 hrs burn in period using my ipod 5g + vorzamp duo, sometimes the ipod alone or the i5 itself.

Thanks for the comparison with the A91.  I appreciate it a lot.  I was actually eyeing that or the Andromeda for my future upgrade but now I have to think carefully and do my homework well before pulling the trigger.  Glad to have the IT03 to prolong my savings and enjoyment.

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #1,163 of 3,344

It's hard to convince people who don't believe in cables and the quality of the pure wire material, and only look at the cable as a pretty wire to accessorize the look of their headphones
biggrin.gif
  I have way too many overpriced cables, and still use the original stock cable (though hope to check out balanced one, some day) with IT03.  Too much silver or silver plating and the sound is off balance with extra brightness; too much copper or the hybrid combination of silver/copper and the bass impact gets a bit overwhelming.  IT03 stock cable strikes a perfect balance in sound, imho.  The cable can get tangled, that's true.  That's why you need to wrap it around before storage, and also the trick of running your fingers down works.

I already coil it around my fingers before storing it in my pelican case, but I move around a lot, so the cables tend to loosen and it becomes a slightly twirly mess after that.

I don't doubt the cables are of high quality. But seriously the tangles are annoying as heck, which is something I didn't encounter with my older 3.Ai cables. If there is is something I can sleeve the current cables with, I'm all for it.

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #1,164 of 3,344

Funnily enough, I have the exact opposite opinion about those 2 paired with a Cayin N5 (same DAC as i5).
While the IT03 has nice bass and very natural treble, its mids fall short when opposed to A91. A91's treble are bit drier I will admit (faster decay when compared to IT03) which may be the only debatable note.

Seems like you tend to prefer slight V-shape signatures even more than I do, because this is where I could see why you find the iBasso more airy and spacious, precisely because the mids are less forwards than on the A91 (they're not recessed though).

In the end, it's just a question of taste (again). And Sirius' built quality already partially justifies the 850$ pricetag (along the provided balanced cable and SE adapter).

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,166 of 3,344
  Just received my IT03 today!

I have listened a few albums, and love the synergy with my DX80. I will bring my first impressions later.

Nice! I already have the IT03 and a used (picked it up on HF) DX80 coming in (with some luck tomorrow or the day after)
Curious about that synergy as well
rolleyes.gif

Congrats & happy listening!

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #1,167 of 3,344
  Just received my IT03 today!

I have listened a few albums, and love the synergy with my DX80. I will bring my first impressions later.

Enjoy and let us know what you think as time goes on.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 17, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,169 of 3,344
iBasso IT03 unboxing - expatinjapan

http://headpie.blogspot.jp/2016/09/ibasso-it03-unboxing-expatinjapan.html?m=1

Quite a few people mentioned IT03 is on par with ToTL earphones but at just $260. If you were to rate this IEM in terms of the price it actually is worth, how much would you say it might be? $599, $699, $799, $899, $999? If you were to just go by the audiophile prices most companies are indulging in these days, what should IT03 be worth? 

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,170 of 3,344
  I think my set may have channel imbalance. everything sounds good but the center image seems to be a little bit too far to the right, but i cant really tell that well. I should probably do an A/B with some other headphones

What devices are you using in the audio chain? Besides the in-ears or the recording, the imbalance can also be caused by a headphone amplifier with analogue volume potentiometer.

If that's not the case, you could (on a PC or your DAP if it supports it) set the recording to Mono and check whether the imbalance issue is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back