I want to have a baby! Anyone help? (Reps please read)
Apr 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #77 of 97

Quote:
Isnt it cheaper to get a TWFK alone than a dual driver IEM with a TWFK in it? :S

Its cheaper to buy a IEM , on mouser you need to buy certain quantity or pay huge shipping cost.

Quote:

He could just buy an IE80 and then 2 TWFK dual-drivers and make a 5 driver like the merlin, that would be a cheap way. Well, just a thought anyways :p 

Its cheaper to buy merlin. I guess UM is only company who can reshell ie8 with added drivers , they will charge for customs + crossover(tuning) .
http://www.custom-iem.com/sennheiser-ie8-reshell-upgrade-to-3-drivers-p-662.html

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #79 of 97
Wait really? I always bought opamps from Farnell, and so far all my opamps were free shipping and even 10% discount once o.O

May 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #80 of 97
Just thought I'd contribute to this thread (which I just stumbled upon because of the title- the OP's got a point about using a catchy title)-

For the money I spent on the es5s, I expected the bass to hit a lot deeper.  initially wanted to add an mg7 driver to my es5s and so I'd get a ridiculous 4-way passive crossover hybrid with balanced armatures for highs/mids/lows and a 10mm dynamic driver for sub bass so I mass emailed a ton of manufacturers.  I found a couple interested, but only one willing- Mitch Marcum of Dreamearz.  This dude is awesome.  I sent him the IEMs about a week ago, and here's where we're at:

We can't use mg7s because they are tuned for the full-spectrum and it would be really hard to cross out the mids/highs.  So he suggested we add a dual ported woofer (3800) for sub-bass instead, and another BA (tbh I'm not sure which, possibly a CI?) for mid-bass.  This makes my lowly (note: sarcasm) es5 a monstrous 8 driver 5-way BEAST!  We ironed out the details this morning, and construction starts tomorrow. No guts no glory, right?

I'll post impressions when I get them back- according to the order form, they're supposed to take about 3 1/2 weeks.  To all who are interested in frankesteining- I'm your crash test dummy!  

May 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #81 of 97
Quote:
Just thought I'd contribute to this thread (which I just stumbled upon because of the title- the OP's got a point about using a catchy title)-

For the money I spent on the es5s, I expected the bass to hit a lot deeper.  initially wanted to add an mg7 driver to my es5s and so I'd get a ridiculous 4-way passive crossover hybrid with balanced armatures for highs/mids/lows and a 10mm dynamic driver for sub bass so I mass emailed a ton of manufacturers.  I found a couple interested, but only one willing- Mitch Marcum of Dreamearz.  This dude is awesome.  I sent him the IEMs about a week ago, and here's where we're at:

We can't use mg7s because they are tuned for the full-spectrum and it would be really hard to cross out the mids/highs.  So he suggested we add a dual ported woofer (3800) for sub-bass instead, and another BA (tbh I'm not sure which, possibly a CI?) for mid-bass.  This makes my lowly (note: sarcasm) es5 a monstrous 8 driver 5-way BEAST!  We ironed out the details this morning, and construction starts tomorrow. No guts no glory, right?

I'll post impressions when I get them back- according to the order form, they're supposed to take about 3 1/2 weeks.  To all who are interested in frankesteining- I'm your crash test dummy!  

very interesting... it is very rare that someone wants to mess with a well established CIEM, nonetheless a top-tier one. plz tell us how they sound when you get them...

May 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #82 of 97
For me, I've had the es5s since September, and have been slowly realizing that I want something with more low-end.  Not exaggerated low-end like jh-16s, but deeper low-end when called for.  Honestly, I find hip-hop and electronic unlistenable with my es5s, because as technically proficient as the es5s are, they just seem beautiful, but lifeless without that deep bass rumble that takes center stage in those genres.  My es5s tips are beginning to split and so I would have to get them reshelled anyway, so I figured its stupid to spend about $200 for something that I'm ultimately not satisfied with, so why not go all-in?

Anyway, impressions to follow.

May 8, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #83 of 97
Wow, all you had to do was use a clean amp and switch to high gain.  That'll punch your face in.  If you're looking for sub 20hz you'll have a very hard time finding it in something under 10 inches.

May 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #84 of 97
Believe me, I tried!

To experiment with the es5's bass output, I used a digizoid zo2 on both low and high gain (while definitely not a clean amp, its the best bass booster I've heard) and it still didn't give me the deep reverb I wanted.  I would get the sound of deep bass, but they couldn't give anything near the impact that I wanted (in fact I could have done with less bass sound, and more bass feel- which is why I wanted to add a dynamic driver for sub-bass in the first place).  Maybe I'm looking for something that CIEMs can't achieve, but I know what I want, and I'm going to try to get it.

May 8, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #85 of 97
Yeah, sounds like you might be looking beyond physical limitations at this size.  GL, keep us posted.  I wonder if the ZO2 uses the same feedback design as the UHA6 and Arrow 4G.  I'll have to try my ZO later and see.  Still, it's punch and impact, not extension I'm referring to.

May 8, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #86 of 97
Quote:
We can't use mg7s because they are tuned for the full-spectrum and it would be really hard to cross out the mids/highs.  

I am not sure if the additional BA you will be adding will give any benefit, if you like the bass of Dynamic drivers, it would be hard to find it in BA.
My digizoid ZO2 works better with dynamic I dont use it with westone3.
UM can reshell ie8 so not sure why mg7s cant be used.

May 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #87 of 97
@ Anaxilus: my bad, I I should have worded my posts better, but glad we got back on the same page- yep, my problem is with the extension of the es5's bass.  Sound-wise, it's on point!  To me, it feels like its reproducing the sound that bass makes, rather than producing actual bass itself (others may and probably do disagree).  Let me know when you check your zo against the uha6 and arrow amps, as that's something I'm definitely curious about.

@MuZo2:  I agree that the zo2 works better with dynamics- my best combo of zo2 was with it and the mg7s.  I'm not sure why mg7s can't work for this, but I'm definitely not the expert, and have to defer to the manufacturer's word.
I know of several IEMs that have multiple branch armatures dedicated to bass that are supposed to extend lower than the es5s and achieve a depth similar to dynamic drivers.  To name a few, the jh16 uses 4 small BAs, the 8.a uses 2 big BAs, the se5 uses one BA for bass and another as a "delayed ignition woofer," or something like that.  Most important to me, Dreamearz' (the company that's doing my project) Aud-5x uses 2 BAs for bass and another for sub-bass.  In Average_Joe's review of it, he found that, " The i9pro (a 14mm dynamic driver IEM) and TS842 (a hybrid using a 10mm dynamic driver) have more sub-bass rumble but the differences aren't all that much as the 3 dedicated BA bass drivers perform quite well and offer a tighter sound than the dynamics."  You might be right, and I might ultimately be stuck with a product that leaves me wanting more, but only one way to find out!

May 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #88 of 97
Quote:
@ Anaxilus: my bad, I I should have worded my posts better, but glad we got back on the same page- yep, my problem is with the extension of the es5's bass.  Sound-wise, it's on point!  To me, it feels like its reproducing the sound that bass makes, rather than producing actual bass itself (others may and probably do disagree). 

I know just what you mean about that real bass feel. That may be an issue with the shell, not the drivers. A closed shell won't allow air movement even with a vented BA (or a dynamic) trapped in there. If that's the case, no driver or amp will quite give you the real bass feel you want. A dynamic, or maybe even a vented ba, with a vented shell for real air movement might need to be part of the design. Just something that comes from talking to ciem designers to think about.

May 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #89 of 97
Good point Kunlun.  We're using sonion 3800s for sub-bass, and since they'e ported I assumed that the shells will be vented, but I'll shoot an email Mitch's way to confirm.  Thanks for that, and all the other advice you've given me.

May 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #90 of 97
You're welcome!
It's interesting how people often use a vented BA in a closed shell. You might want to look at how FAD does it. They use a vented BA in a vented shell, which makes the most sense by far, but I think they are the only makers of a BA only design to do so.

Good fortune!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back