I just received my RS1i today...
Mar 23, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #106 of 111

Quote:
I haven't heard anything lower than the 225i's but A/B with the Rs1i's there is a significant difference for me. That's why I'm now selling my 225's (check Ebay uk tonight). Rs1's have more of everything apart from top treble, It's still emphasized.. just not as much and for that reason I find them less fatiguing. 

I would say however... for the price increase over the 225's they are not value for money. If you can afford them and want the best fine, if you want a great set of Grado phones for the price then the 225i's are brilliant.

With the release of the SR225i, - and, I'm not sure which additional "i" series 'phones, Grado changed the cable thickness of the headphone cable.  On the SR225i purchase that I made a bit over a month ago, the cable is clearly thicker than even the SR325 (non "i") model.  I'm glad to hear your RS1is are working out to your needs.  It sound like you've made the right move and it's paying off quite well !!  Congrats !!

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #107 of 111
I am definitely interested in the Alessandro ms pro, Grado's are not that easy to come by in Canada and Alessandro are apparently very friendly to shipping out of country . I also like the idea of a RS1i that a little less on the  bright side.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #108 of 111

Quote:
With the release of the SR225i, - and, I'm not sure which additional "i" series 'phones, Grado changed the cable thickness of the headphone cable.  On the SR225i purchase that I made a bit over a month ago, the cable is clearly thicker than even the SR325 (non "i") model.  I'm glad to hear your RS1is are working out to your needs.  It sound like you've made the right move and it's paying off quite well !!  Congrats !!

Not too sure either? I know the 325i now has an added "s" I thought my 225i's did too but they don't. It's a reassuringly thick cable on the new Grado's anyhow, but a bit too bulky. I like to use my Grado's when I'm pottering around the house and so I have to slip the cable down the front of my Joggers... ha ha

Just treated my Rs1's to a second hand tube amp, Xcan v3 should get it in the next few days, and so I'll wait for that before I add anything more to my review, because up to now I've only heard them with my Creek ss. 

Cheers! and I'm glad your enjoying your Bill Woodies!

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #109 of 111

Quote:
I am definitely interested in the Alessandro ms pro, Grado's are not that easy to come by in Canada and Alessandro are apparently very friendly to shipping out of country . I also like the idea of a RS1i that a little less on the  bright side.

Me too, Thats what tipped me over the edge to splash out on the RS1is. And they do have less treble, becoming more so all of the time. They are taking along time to burn in and are becoming warmer as the days go by (yes warmer!). I can understand where some folks are coming from now in regards to the smooth sound and the fact that this is not the stereo typical Grado signature. It suits me better, but for people wanting the ultimate in classic Grado sound may be disappointed and for them the journey could end at say the 325's possibly, or old RS1s (haven't heard them).

The sound of the RS1i's for me now can be said in 3 words "Luxuriously good fun"!  
gs1000.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #110 of 111

Quote:
Just treated my Rs1's to a second hand tube amp, Xcan v3 should get it in the next few days, and so I'll wait for that before I add anything more to my review, because up to now I've only heard them with my Creek ss. 

Tube hybrid is definitely the way to go with the RS1i (and I believe the Xcan is tube hybrid).  Personally I use mine with the CTH and the synergy is really amazing (this has been commented on by several CTH owners).  In fact it's so good that when I had to pick one and amp and headphone to bring to Toronto I chose the CTH and RS1i.  Right now I'm using a 1962 (large halo getter) 6DJ8 bugle boy and the sound is pretty fantastic.
If the Xcan v3 doesn't do it for you keep your eyes open for CTH (they're a bit rare).

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #111 of 111

Quote:

Tube hybrid is definitely the way to go with the RS1i (and I believe the Xcan is tube hybrid).  Personally I use mine with the CTH and the synergy is really amazing (this has been commented on by several CTH owners).  In fact it's so good that when I had to pick one and amp and headphone to bring to Toronto I chose the CTH and RS1i.  Right now I'm using a 1962 (large halo getter) 6DJ8 bugle boy and the sound is pretty fantastic.
If the Xcan v3 doesn't do it for you keep your eyes open for CTH (they're a bit rare).

Thanks for that I'll keep a look out for future buys. I've just got the Xcan v3 today and had a quick listen and it sounds pretty good up to now. The guy who I bought it off has added Panasonic caps and put Tesla tubes in, so I've got no reference to what it it sounded like in stock mode. I had a quick try with both my RS1's and 650's and it definately agreed with the Grados more than the Senn's.  Big sense of air and seperation, not as warm as I though it would sound, infact the highs are extremely detailed but no hardness anywhere. I wouldn't want my Grados to be any smoother than what they already are so I think I'm going to like it.  I'll give it a proper listen tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back