I just received my RS1i today...
Mar 16, 2011 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
They don't impress me the slightest... (not in build, not in sound, not in comfort, not even in appearance)

I'm really beginning to think super high end headphones aren't worth it. I think I'll stay in the $100-$300 for now on...

I'll be sending them back and getting my $700 back. Why on earth did I spend that much in the first place?

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 111
Dang. I was actually considering getting these at one point. I am a huge fan of the AD2000 and these are the 'phones they always seem to be compared with. On another note, I'll be receiving an SR-80i tomorrow, which will be my first experience with any Grado. Excited to see what all the fuss is about...

-Daniel

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 111
What equipment were you using them with and what kind of music?

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 111

They don't impress me the slightest... (not in build, not in sound, not in comfort, not even in appearance)

I'm really beginning to think super high end headphones aren't worth it. I think I'll stay in the $100-$300 for now on...

I'll be sending them back and getting my $700 back. Why on earth did I spend that much in the first place?

Maybe Grados aren't for you.  I can tell you there are people out there who would be thrilled to have the box you're about to send back - but a fair amount of it has to do with expectations.  Grado's headband is pretty spartan.  Grado's cushions are actually meant to be transparent, which is why the foam is used, instead of velour or pleather.  Grado isn't giving you a circumaural helmet.  The value in Grado's approach is in the driver, itself, and the use of a mahogany shell.  The open design reduces HF resonance while the use of mahogany helps selectively amplify the bass and treble to pleasant levels without an amp.  I, personally, prefer a vented driver but with the right amp, the RS1 can be a lot of fun.  Some folks consider them too bright.  Many of these folks are looking for headphones that give more weight to the bass while putting the treble through more filtering.  To each his own.  Some people love these headphones; some hate them.  The nice thing is to trust your own ears and go where you get what you need.  If you can get your needs met closer to $300, that's terrific.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 111
I used them with the rig in my sig. I also used them with the iAudio 7.

Well, it's not the sound I don't like, because they sound pretty good. Relatively balanced, warm, and exciting. It's just I can get nearly that exact same song for more than $500 cheaper. For what you are getting, the asking price of $700 is just way too much. But I guess you'll have the folk that will pay an arm and a leg for tiny improvement. I'm looking more for something that can be justified paying $700. (HE-5LE maybe?) Well, I might just try around and see if I can find another favorite.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 111
I actually liked how they sound compared to other Grados. I was thinking of getting a pair in the near future.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 111
I despise the RS1i, it is worst Grado I have ever heard. What did they do to it? It sounds too smooth and warm and there's no edge to the sound. Get your money back and try a SR60i or SR225i. If the RS1i is your first grado, let me tell you that all the other grados do not sound the way the RS1i is in sound signature. The other grados actually have treble.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 111
I've actually had the SR80i, and thought it was nothing special. I was hoping it would be different from the RS1i, but I had no such luck.

It certainly doesn't *look* or *feel* like a $700 headphone. In fact, if I had to put a price, I would say about $200 max. But of course that's just opinion.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 111
From the sound alone that I heard, they would be worth $200 max. I really liked the RS1 and would be willing to pay $700 for a brand new perfect condition RS1, but for the RS1i not a chance.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 111

Quote:
I used them with the rig in my sig. I also used them with the iAudio 7.

Well, it's not the sound I don't like, because they sound pretty good. Relatively balanced, warm, and exciting. It's just I can get nearly that exact same song for more than $500 cheaper. For what you are getting, the asking price of $700 is just way too much. But I guess you'll have the folk that will pay an arm and a leg for tiny improvement. I'm looking more for something that can be justified paying $700. (HE-5LE maybe?) Well, I might just try around and see if I can find another favorite.

Yep. Diminishing returns is brutal as you go up the Grado food chain.  I once A/B'd my SR60 and a SR225 and I thought they sounded pretty much identical.
    I keep the 60's for cheap but good phones for travel but when I want to enjoy some Grado sounds on my home rig I reach for my MS1's.  The price/performance of the MS1 is such that I'm really not even curious about high-end Grados.  They'd surely be a let-down.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 111
Quote:
Yep. Diminishing returns is brutal as you go up the Grado food chain.  I once A/B'd my SR60 and a SR225 and I thought they sounded pretty much identical.
    I keep the 60's for cheap but good phones for travel but when I want to enjoy some Grado sounds on my home rig I reach for my MS1's.  The price/performance of the MS1 is such that I'm really not even curious about high-end Grados.  They'd surely be a let-down.

I should have known that, but I was too curious. Now I know first through personal experience.

I honestly think the SR60i / SR80i is the only Grados worth getting. Everything else is simply just wasting money.

I'm sorry, but even my AD900's showed the RS1i up. I did find the bass a welcome improvement though.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 111
I know that if I would get these headphones I would regret it, too.

There is so much other stuff I would rather spend my money on.

Denon D7000, or $200 more for a CSP2+. A cruise....anything.

I do want to try the MS1's, though.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 111
I don't really like the RS1i either compared to past RS1 models... but...

Quote:
I've actually had the SR80i, and thought it was nothing special. I was hoping it would be different from the RS1i, but I had no such luck.

It certainly doesn't *look* or *feel* like a $700 headphone. In fact, if I had to put a price, I would say about $200 max. But of course that's just opinion.

Really? I mean, you bought sight unseen / unheard from a line that you don't particularly like? There's an awful lot of information out there about the RS1i, and it's not exactly a secret that Grado headphones scale based on your taste with lower-cost models. And the fit and finish might not be up to your standards or the standards of other 'phones out there right now, but come on; what did you expect? 

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 111
At some point of my life, I could see myself getting a pair of the RS Grados.  I have the SR60s, SR325s, and the "famous" Bilavideo woodied SR225s with bass enhancements.  However, with the sweetness of the sounds I'm hearing from the Bilavideo 225s, I'm questioning whether there will be much sound improvement if I were to move 3 or 4 steps up the food chain.  Bilavideo needs to get some patents in place and start mass-producing these sweet things. 
gs1000.gif

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #15 of 111
I've heard all the Grado linup up to the RS1 (non i). The RS1s were the only ones I truly enjoyed, but looking at the price they charge here (north of 800€) it's impossible to justify the price. They sound very good for electric, acoustic guitars and also do voices extremely well, just not +800€ worth of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back