I just received my RS1i today...
Mar 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #91 of 111

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed review.  It hopefully brings a little balance to this thread.

Don't worry about people with a vendetta against grado or the rs-1i - they're fantastic headphones, and I've heard many.  Also keep in mind the frequency response shown on headroom clearly hasn't been updated for the rs1i.  The treble has been flattened significantly over older rs-1s (at least older recent ones - I haven't heard ones from the 90s).  They are the least treble heavy grado I've heard (except the hf2) and I've head the entire sr/rs lineup, as well as the gs-1000i which I owned for a year or so. 

The rs1i definitely have a mild "U" shaped frequency response, which I'm a big fan of as I don't listen to music at very high volume.

No probs, I always enjoy reviewing stuff. I would agree there is definately a mild "U" shape going on with RS1i's, only without reccessed mids- Bass and Treb slightly boosted. Just a nice bit of "colour" I would say.
Cheers   

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #93 of 111

Quote:
I'll actually be burning these in soon, so I can ready for the comparison between these and Bilavideo's SR60.

We'll see if sonic impressions change any after some burn in, and also some more time with them on my head.

Nice one, I'm looking forward to it, I enjoyed your 650/2000 comparison so if it is anything like that then it should be a good read.

I'm keeping my RS1i's, I don't think by any means they are the greatest headphones I'm ever going to hear, but they are a perfect companion for my 650's. Grado= fun and excitment, Senn's=serious listening. A marriage made in heaven! (or NY and Germany)

Cheers. 

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #94 of 111
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

I actually haven't decided if I'm going to do a full blown "SR60 vs RS1i | Comparison & Review" or if I should just do a smaller one mainly focused on sound. Regardless, I'm excited to see how an SR60 holds up to one of the older flagships. In the mean time, I'm working on my AD700 vs AD900 comparison, and the my HD558 vs HD598 comparison.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #95 of 111
I know there are many people who love their RS1's.

Honestly, they just do not appeal to me. I am, however, more interested in their Alessandro product line.

Am I correct in thinking the the MS Pro's are a more subdued version than the RS1's? Thanks.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #96 of 111
Quote:

Honestly, they just do not appeal to me. I am, however, more interested in their Alessandro product line.

Am I correct in thinking the the MS Pro's are a more subdued version than the RS1's? Thanks.

I had both the latest MS-Pro with the 8 conductor cable and RS1i , they sounded the same to me. The earlier versions of the MS-Pro and RS1 could be different.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #98 of 111
The MS-Pro, historically, has been touted as an RS1 with less treble "shout" and more head-space. I don't know what they're like now, but the older ones were less "warm" than the RS1. I never really liked them, they sounded like an RS1 sans soul, but those who loved them loved them dearly. Hard to say what they are now though, since I've only heard the RS1i (not the new MS-Pro) and felt it was lacking.

Quote:

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #100 of 111
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #101 of 111
Hi Kartun,

it would be very interesting to read your review of the SR60 against the RS1i !

I myself own a SR80i and I have to say I am pretty much satisfied with it. Funny though last weekend I could compare it with the 325i using my Lehmann Black Cube Linear and I somehow had the same experience you had :

There is absolutely not much difference between the 2 Grados (beside the price) , surprisingly to me my SR80i sounded much nicer than the 325i !

The SR 80i is for me right now def. a keeper !

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #102 of 111

Quote:
Hi Kartun,

it would be very interesting to read your review of the SR60 against the RS1i !

I myself own a SR80i and I have to say I am pretty much satisfied with it. Funny though last weekend I could compare it with the 325i using my Lehmann Black Cube Linear and I somehow had the same experience you had :

There is absolutely not much difference between the 2 Grados (beside the price) , surprisingly to me my SR80i sounded much nicer than the 325i !

The SR 80i is for me right now def. a keeper !

I had pretty much the same conclusion when I A/B'd a SR60 and a SR225.  I'm glad I don't have good enough perception to hear the huge differences others seem to. It saves me a lot of money
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #104 of 111
I haven't heard anything lower than the 225i's but A/B with the Rs1i's there is a significant difference for me. That's why I'm now selling my 225's (check Ebay uk tonight). Rs1's have more of everything apart from top treble, It's still emphasized.. just not as much and for that reason I find them less fatiguing. 

I would say however... for the price increase over the 225's they are not value for money. If you can afford them and want the best fine, if you want a great set of Grado phones for the price then the 225i's are brilliant.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #105 of 111
My reaction to the HF2 was similar to Katuns with the RS1 I think. The bottom line for me was plunking down $450 for a pair of headphones was a lot of money. Money I was willing to pay to satisfy my curiosity but enough that  it was keeping me from fairly evaluating the HF2. That and the HF2 really bloomed after it burned in. I cant imagine ever parting with them now.

I'm glad Katun is taking the Bilavideo challenge. A woodied SR60 is a real treat, I love mine. The Bilagrado Kool Aid is very addictive though, I'm planning on modding a 225 next. I had read on one of these Grado threads a while back that any particular Grado model was a simple matter of reverse engineeering. The higher end Grado's had better drivers, better cabling, wood in place of plastic, etc.

So it sort of stands to reason if you start replacing some of the pieces Grado tore away, you can end up back where they started, or somewhere in the approximate vicinity, and for a lot less money. Tonally a woodied 60 is fuller, richer, warmer, more organic. The difference between a real flower and a plastic one in my estimation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back