I have some dissatisfaction about my "PRO900"
Aug 3, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #16 of 34

Quote:
Those two things you're talking about are exactly why I didn't kept it.
I would add the built quality as well.

Really don't understand how people can like them...

Quote:
hello~ I`m pro900 user.

like i said in title, I have things don`t like about pro900.

So i`m going to list that things

1. sibilance sound on vocal (mid)

2. metallic sound

That 2 things make my ear hurt. makes me very uncomfortable. I just can`t hold my headphone on

Though I love magnificent bass, awesome detail, I hate that 2things

I use TR amp with pro900.  And only got a lossless source.  I`m not a portable user.  

I don`t have specific DAC. because of money...

I tried "kees mod"   but that mod make it even worse. I don`t understand..

I don`t know...Maybe I didn`t do it right in process..

please help me...

Did either of your burn them in for at least 200-300 hours? That's the burn-in time recommended for higher-end Ultrasones because their drivers are SUPER stiff, perhaps abnormally so (but there are people who've liked Pro900s straight out of the box, so go figure; no two headphones are 100% alike). This loosens up the drivers in order to soothe away the "metallic" sound and gets rid of any sibilance, if any (as well as refines the highs, mids, and lows). If you did that AND Kess Mod, then perhaps Ultrasone just isn't for you. I'd recommend something from the Beyerdynamic or Denon line instead; not that they sound similar, which they don't, but people who are turned off by Ultrasone's sound signature or "flavor" tend to prefer the sound of Denons or Beyers. Not always, of course, but it's a trend I've noticed. Hope that helped some.

Edit: Ah, I noticed that the OP has owned them for 4 months. In that case, I would ask, did you just play them and just waited for them to change over time (more "natural" burn-in), or did you actually let them sit and play straight, undisturbed? Regardless, I would say try burning them in with pink noise.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #17 of 34

Edit: Ah, I noticed that the OP has owned them for 4 months. In that case, I would ask, did you just play them and just waited for them to change over time (more "natural" burn-in), or did you actually let them sit and play straight, undisturbed? Regardless, I would say try burning them in with pink noise.

I do know I love Denon sound. Cause I have heard d5000 about 1 week once.

I borrowed d5000 from my friend. I was really curouse about d5000.

How much time do you think pro900 will take?  As you know, mine took 4 month.

I`m planing to wait or try mod one more time.

Thanks for the advice~

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #18 of 34
Does the pro 900 come with the really long cable? Maybe consider getting a better quality shorter cable. Those long cables mess with the sound and don't let the headphones sound their best IMO

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #19 of 34
I haven´t noticed that. Tried some aftermarket cable and there was not much of a difference if any. The Pro 900 is very revealing so should reveal if there was a big win to make going shorter and thicker copper.

changing cable would be the last thing I would do after modding and equalizing and only if you really enjoy them. Otherwise with 99 % certainty it will be a total waste of money I expect.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #21 of 34

Quote:
Though sibilance is not the fault of the headphones. It´s only sibilant if it´s in the recordings. But yes if you want a forgiving headphone don´t get any in the pro series since they can be aggressive.

Interesting observation. I am interested in the accuracy of your statement. It would certainly throw some of the fidelity freaks off. 
tongue_smile.gif
 I really do wonder if you are right. I must admit I have noticed the sibilant and "metallic" character to the Pro 900. They aren't perfect by any means. However, I have noticed that using a parametric equalizer (even the five band parametric EQ on the Rockboxed Clip+ which is what I have) to lower the high shelf and roll it off a good 2kHz makes the difference. Though not entirely solved the experience is no longer painful. I am still working around with this.

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #23 of 34
If you haven't checked out the Kees mod, you really need to.  All of this talk about new cables and pink noise might, at best, make a hair of difference.  The Kees mod is completely reversible, and made a really positive difference with both my Pro 750 and my Pro 780--it's supposed to do similar things for the Pro 900.

Oops, you said you did the mod already and it made it worse.  How much cotton did you put in there?  If it was more than a mm or 2, you probably overpacked it.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #24 of 34
The Pro900 has its strength and weaknesses. Thats why you should have multiple headphones.
When the 900 is too aggressive and bright I move over to the HD650s. Don't think you will find any other cans that has the same bass signature as the 900s, they are just amazing for dubstep.

To be honest, the sibilance issue is mostly there when you are cranking the volume up a lot. I have no problems listening to bright songs with low to medium volume. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #25 of 34
The PRO 900 can sound simply amazing with any genre - depending on the recording and mood.

However, it's not a one-for-all can. That's why I will also get the Z1000. For 40% of my music the PRO 900 is pure bliss. I now need musicality for the other 60%...

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
The PRO 900 can sound simply amazing with any genre - depending on the recording and mood.

However, it's not a one-for-all can. That's why I will also get the Z1000. For 40% of my music the PRO 900 is pure bliss. I now need musicality for the other 60%...

Don't find the Pro 900 to be musical? Man, I love it. I seriously changed the frequency response when listening though. I am not a fan of the native sound signature. To me that's irrelevant when there are parametric equalizers. I love the soundstaging, bass character and all around beautiful presentation of the Pro 900. I absolutely love the detail and instrument separation.

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #27 of 34
I don't listen to the music with the PRO 900. It's not necessarily something bad, but I notice I weight the music up to the headphones and check how they present the music or perform it. On many tracks they can even improve the recording. I have a great Beethoven CD and the sheer epicness the 900s get out of Symphony in C Minor, Op. 67 is just amazing. The V curve adds depth to the soundstage, the bass emphasizes the dramatic feel and the overall presentation is similar to getting rolled over by a truck - in a good way (say you have 9 lives). But it's me bein extremely fond of the Ultrasones because I know the actual recording is not that awesome.

Now, with the MDR-ZX700, for example, I forget the headphones altogether. I listen to the music. In comparison it's boring, yet I don't have the feeling I'm missing something. I need this feeling in better quality. And I'm sure the Z1000 can do that. Unless I decide to go with IEMs, in which case the EX1000 is my best pick.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Interesting observation. I am interested in the accuracy of your statement. It would certainly throw some of the fidelity freaks off. 
tongue_smile.gif
 I really do wonder if you are right. I must admit I have noticed the sibilant and "metallic" character to the Pro 900. They aren't perfect by any means. However, I have noticed that using a parametric equalizer (even the five band parametric EQ on the Rockboxed Clip+ which is what I have) to lower the high shelf and roll it off a good 2kHz makes the difference. Though not entirely solved the experience is no longer painful. I am still working around with this.

Sibilance starts from the recordings and exacerbated through headphones that emphasize the frequency regions of sibilance. 

I owned both of the OP's headphones. The W1000 surpasses the PRO900 when it comes to mid range reproduction. It sounds VERY different, but PRO 900 have better bass. With the W1000, I can see why he's so upset.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #29 of 34
The last two posts above me each make intriguing observations. Ultrazino, I must admit I have a bit of the same experience. Actually, I am trying to get away with constantly playing with the equalizer and just enjoying the music. 

wind016, do you find the the Pro 900 lacks mid range character? I have turned up the mids and they sound okay. But no where near as good as the highs and most especially the lows.

Aug 13, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #30 of 34

Quote:
The last two posts above me each make intriguing observations. Ultrazino, I must admit I have a bit of the same experience. Actually, I am trying to get away with constantly playing with the equalizer and just enjoying the music. 

wind016, do you find the the Pro 900 lacks mid range character? I have turned up the mids and they sound okay. But no where near as good as the highs and most especially the lows.

Yes, but it's still very good for the price. I think the Denon D7000 is pretty much better all around, especially if you're not afraid to use an equalizer. People say the PRO 900 has more bass than the Denons, but that's negligible IMO. The treble catches up quick and vocals are still not as loud as if should be.

I have no personal trouble using an equalizer, but I refrain from boosting frequencies. If a frequency is too loud, I'll cut it down instead of suffering through it for stupid audiophile reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back