Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 25, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #17,191 of 18,979
Guys, I need your help: I'm looking for a pair of small speakers for a room around 25 sq meters with very limited space. Those could either be active or passive but considering size constrain I would like not to pay fortune for those (meaning below the cost of TT2 itself) as this is just a temporally solution.

I would appreciate your tips. Kef LS Meta 50 or other with similar sound signature are out of question: I couldn't listen to them without headache after 40 minutes. My others preferred sound signature of smaller speakers are Guru Audio Q10 but they are simply too big to fit in unfortunately. Thank you in advance.

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #17,192 of 18,979
Guys, I need your help: I'm looking for a pair of small speakers for a room around 25 sq meters with very limited space. Those could either be active or passive but considering size constrain I would like not to pay fortune for those (meaning below the cost of TT2 itself) as this is just a temporally solution.

I would appreciate your tips. Kef LS Meta 50 or other with similar sound signature are out of question: I couldn't listen to them without headache after 40 minutes. My others preferred sound signature of smaller speakers are Guru Audio Q10 but they are simply too big to fit in unfortunately. Thank you in advance.
May I suggest
Eclipse T-D speakers.
I have used the whole range and my main speakers to this day are there 712z.
In a small room the 508-510 will work well.

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #17,193 of 18,979
Guys, I need your help: I'm looking for a pair of small speakers for a room around 25 sq meters with very limited space.

I would search for one-way passive wideband ones without any crossover filter.

Those preserve TT2's depth reproduction the best i think.

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #17,194 of 18,979

Just my opinion but if you are only after a temporary solution then there are plenty of options.
My Hugo2 can easily drive Wharfedale Audio Diamonds, Monitor Audio Silver RX, Focal Aria 936 in the short-term.
You don't need to focus on top quality if you are in a short-term emergency scenario.
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/cut+your+cloth

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #17,195 of 18,979

I recommend the firm Proac,
https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #17,196 of 18,979
Nothing is wrong with Spotify. One of the best search engine out there. I like to find new artist/songwriter in Spotify, and later buy the album on hdtracks for more serious listening session. (ex: Maisie Peters, Clara Mae, Olivia Rodrigo, and Gracie Abrams)
Spotify actually sounds better than mp3 files on my computer played through foobar2000. Im sure they use some kind of processing/upscaling technique. Its clearly better than 320kbps files on my computer.

I also use it for finding recommended/related music, discovering new/old artists

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #17,197 of 18,979
I’ve also been using Spotify for it but a year or so ago I switched to Tidal when I noticed they also improved their recommendation engines (weekly playlists, radios of songs/albums, etc). For me, these features are complete game changers in my listening experience, it’s so easy to discover new music that is really close to your preferences with it

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #17,198 of 18,979
Just my opinion but if you are only after a temporary solution then there are plenty of options.
My Hugo2 can easily drive Wharfedale Audio Diamonds, Monitor Audio Silver RX, Focal Aria 936 in the short-term.
You don't need to focus on top quality if you are in a short-term emergency scenario.
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/cut+your+cloth
I am also looking for a desktop set of speakers to go with the Hugo TT2 and asked for recommendations on a two channel forum and was told, "If you try to drive passive speakers with the Chord it will overheat and go bang." Is this just another example of someone on the internet spouting off about something they know nothing about or is there something to be worried about? Pretty much everyone was telling me to go with active speakers which I was not expecting and was a little bummed by. When I got my TT2, I was actually thinking I would use it to power small desktop speakers as well as HPs.

They got me looking at Focal Solo 6 and Genelec's. Passed up on a set of Focal in the past and have been kind of craving a set ever since which has me a bit tempted but...

Oct 26, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #17,199 of 18,979
I am also looking for a desktop set of speakers to go with the Hugo TT2 and asked for recommendations on a two channel forum and was told, "If you try to drive passive speakers with the Chord it will overheat and go bang." Is this just another example of someone on the internet spouting off about something they know nothing about or is there something to be worried about? Pretty much everyone was telling me to go with active speakers which I was not expecting and was a little bummed by. When I got my TT2, I was actually thinking I would use it to power small desktop speakers as well as HPs.

They got me looking at Focal Solo 6 and Genelec's. Passed up on a set of Focal in the past and have been kind of craving a set ever since which has me a bit tempted but...
A lot will depend on how loud you want to drive the speakers.
These Wharfedale Diamonds 1 work fine as computer monitors.
The Monitor Audio Silver RX work fine as well.
Surprisingly the Hugo2 will also direct drive my focal Aria 936s floorstanders loud enough for jazz, with about half power.

Of course there is a limit to how loud you can drive floorstanders, but if you are sensible you can get a feel for speaker sensitivity and how loud. Remember that in the 1950s and 1960s many owners used less than 2W to drive their speakers.

if anyone wants their desktop speakers driven at nightclub levels, then that is a clear no:no.
That still leaves many great speakers that can be bought cheaply second hand, and used in desktop mode.
Once you get a feel for speakers that work well, then you can always chase expensive marques if you so desire, but as you can see there is no need to spend a fortune whilst you experiment.

It does sound like you have encountered some internet armchair experts spouting BS.

Hugo2 plus diamonds.jpg

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #17,200 of 18,979

IMO, it’s nonsense with proper caution, and Rob drives his speakers with his TT2. Use efficient, 8 ohm speakers and check that TT2 is not overheating. I would also use SE wiring, but I have had no issues with Omega SAMs using balanced out of the XLRs in 3 years.

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #17,201 of 18,979
I would just get a good powerfull clean pre/amp for either passive/active speakers. Thumb rule, if you can get the exact same speaker in active. DO IT!

Active all the way. Generally the crossover is much faster than passive.

(I am looking for sealed active speakers, nearfield, I have no luck so far)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #17,202 of 18,979
The Quick Start card I received with my TT2 cautions against using it to directly drive speakers. Rob Watts cautions against interposing an amp between the TT2 and speakers.

What’s an audio fool to do???

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #17,203 of 18,979
The Quick Start card I received with my TT2 cautions against using it to directly drive speakers. Rob Watts cautions against interposing an amp between the TT2 and speakers.

What’s an audio fool to do???
Unfortunately there are too many audio fools who will try and drive speakers at too high volumes, with incorrectly wired connectors, so Chord have to protect their back by advising against direct driving.

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #17,204 of 18,979
Unfortunately there are too many audio fools who will try and drive speakers at too high volumes, with incorrectly wired connectors, so Chord have to protect their back by advising against direct driving.
Yep, I busted my TT2 with cheap XLR to difficult to drive Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers. Next time single ended? No, I do not dare to do it again. Wonderful fifteen minutes though, terrible two months waiting for a repair.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #17,205 of 18,979
Yep, I busted my TT2 with cheap XLR to difficult to drive Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers. Next time single ended? No, I do not dare to do it again. Wonderful fifteen minutes though, terrible two months waiting for a repair.
Sorry you had to suffer that experience, but hopefully you words will serve as a warning to other owners who wish to try with too loud volume, wrongly wired cables or inefficient speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back