Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 29, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #17,221 of 19,009
I'm sorry to see that. That makes a least two people still following this thread that have had issues with adapters/bad connector. Any chance you are willing to share what we should avoid, or if not that a recommendation on what we could use? I've been reading the beginning of this treads, but I figure at this point people have better recommendation on what works then back when the TT2 was released.

While I now think I am going to look for powered/active speakers for my desk, I'd still be interested in getting a set of cables so I can try some stuff out. I have a set of Zu Oman Dirty Weekend II that are listed as 97dB sensitivity and a 12-ohm nominal impedance with a baseline of 8 ohms that I think the TT2 should handle well, and I'd love to try them if I had cables or adapters that worked that also were not too expensive. I certainly don't want to damage my TT2 though so at this point I'm not sure I would try anything unless I know from other owners it would work.

I also have a set of speakers that are listed as 89 dB 8 ohm nominal impedance that I'm considering. I do tend to like to crank my music up, so maybe I should just avoid these even though that seems pretty efficient by today's standards.
It’s been discussed a lot previously, but it bears repeating. In any adapter or wiring, make sure that you are using only 2 pins, 1 and 3 or 2 and 3. Some adapters short pins 1 and 2, which will destroy the TT2’s outputs. Do a visual inspection and better, use an Ohm meter.

In my case, I ordered an adapter from Amazon and didn’t know better. But, I’ve since had one made by Moon Audio. But I think you can find or make one that works for less also.

Oct 29, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #17,222 of 19,009
Anyone using the TT2 with quobuz and usb straight from Rooncore iMac? How is it? Considering getting a TT 2 to run as dac and preamp for my moon 430had. Using susvara. How much more watt in theory will I get more with the TT2 as preamp?

Oct 29, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #17,223 of 19,009
Maybe you already know this, but if you are using HQplayer with the TT2, it doesn't have any sense to enable the HQplayer Sigma- Delta modulators and play DSD, surely you can do it when using USB, but your TT2 will convert that DSD to PSM internally, apply their DSP and then pass it trough their own Sigma-Delta
No, I didn’t! I’m using the PCM to DSD conversion in HQPlayer because it sounds soo good with my Venus II, I really prefer it to the internal PCM upsampling of the DAC. No point in having two conversions with the TT2.
It is worth to mention, that the cleanest way to use HQplayer with the TT2 is by using the SRC DX by audiowise, it converts USB to dual BNC and somehow the TT2 gains better clarity when not using the Amanero chip controlling internally the USB
And I didn’t know about this device either, never heard of it, but seems a potential upgrade for the future. Are you using any exotic BNC cables with it?

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #17,224 of 19,009
No, I didn’t! I’m using the PCM to DSD conversion in HQPlayer because it sounds soo good with my Venus II, I really prefer it to the internal PCM upsampling of the DAC. No point in having two conversions with the TT2.

And I didn’t know about this device either, never heard of it, but seems a potential upgrade for the future. Are you using any exotic BNC cables with it?
I am currently using the inexpensive audiowise short cables, I got them just to try the SRC DX. Since I got very good results using it, I ordered the filter pack ( DC block+ LP filter). Those filters are supposed to produce similar results to the exotic cables, getting rid of the RF from electronics and the cables themselves working as antennas. Anyway just for my peace of mind, I ordered the next custom made cables from audio performance:

1667073687235.png

Actually not expensive, but apparently those cables have much better shielding.

I am still waiting for the new cables and the filters, any improvement will be a win, since the SRC DX just by using a clean USB input and this low-priced cables, sounds already very transparent and detailed (very similar to optical if not the same) plus the possibility to play at higher sample rates.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #17,225 of 19,009
Welcome to the club, I joined not so long ago too. I have been using the TT2+HQplayer with very good results, at first I used USB; some users have reported problems (White noise issue) when playing 705.4/768kHz.
In my setup, I only found those problems if I turned on the TT2 after my streamer, it seems to be some kind of sample rate locking issue. When the proper sequence was followed, the connection was rock solid (even when playing multiple sample rates or DSD files). It is worth to mention, that the cleanest way to use HQplayer with the TT2 is by using the SRC DX by audiowise, it converts USB to dual BNC and somehow the TT2 gains better clarity when not using the Amanero chip controlling internally the USB. By using the SRC DX it solves every single "Locking" and white noise issue, at the cost of needing good BNC cables, and if you are going to walk that path, you can get the Lp filter, and DC block filters for a cleaner BNC signal (very handy if your are using the M-scaler anyway). I have been curious about the M-Scaler too, however, it was surprising to me that many M-scaler owners, feel the need of using better cables, filters or more complex solutions like Opto DX to control RF; meaning that even when using the M-scaler some extra stuff is needed to get the best of it.
Maybe you already know this, but if you are using HQplayer with the TT2, it doesn't have any sense to enable the HQplayer Sigma- Delta modulators and play DSD, surely you can do it when using USB, but your TT2 will convert that DSD to PSM internally, apply their DSP and then pass it trough their own Sigma-Delta. The Chord conversion is so good, that in my opinion you are not loosing anything, plus the benefit of doing the task less intensive for your PC by upsampling to PCM only.
If you decide to get an M-scaler and compare it VS HQplayer, please share your thoughts.
Have you tried foobar2000?

Hqplayer looks like a more serious player, even though I did not fint any vst/plugin support

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #17,226 of 19,009
Have you tried foobar2000?

Hqplayer looks like a more serious player, even though I did not fint any vst/plugin support
I haven't, HQplayer hits a sweet spot for me because it can be used with Roon. I don't really see myself using something different to Roon for music server. Is foobar2000 better for content creators? There is an Hqplayer Pro version, probably a better option over the standard version, made for musicians and mastering engineers.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #17,227 of 19,009
I’m a little late to the hqplayer-party :)

But I noticed a great improvement over quobuz 44 to 384k in hqplayer. And great integration with Roon.

Would anyone like to share their sweet spot settings in hqplayer ?

How does tt2 handle songs from hqplayer?

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #17,228 of 19,009
I’m a little late to the hqplayer-party :)

But I noticed a great improvement over quobuz 44 to 384k in hqplayer. And great integration with Roon.

Would anyone like to share their sweet spot settings in hqplayer ?

How does tt2 handle songs from hqplayer?
You are never late for the party :beerchug: that party is still in progress. HQplayer has plenty of options, so the best settings can be system dependent.
Can you share a bit more about your signal path and equipment?
Are you using only the TT2 or other DAC capable of doing Direct DSD?
What is the max sample rate that your system can handle ( important for selection of PCM Noise Shapers)?

I have experienced great improvement with HQplayer in my system too, however, that improvement has been boosted every time I upgrade my signal path; the benefits of upsampling sometimes are easily lost if the chain degrades the digital signal, or by using poorly optimized settings.

My signal path is: Mac mini (Roon)(HQplayer)> Ethernet switch> Optobox> iFi NEO stream> SRC DX> TT2
For that chain, my settings are:
Defalut output mode: PCM ( SRC DX can't play DSD also not the best for TT2 )
Adaptive output rate: ON
Source file:
Red book
(1x) Sinc-M > PCM / LNS15 / 705.6-768kHz
Hi res. (2x+) Sinc-L > PCM / LNS15 / 705.6-768kHz

For the internal DAC of the iFi NEO S. ( Direct DSD capable):
Default output mode: SDM
Adaptive output rate: OFF
DSD source settings: Direct SDM
Source file:
Red book
(1x) Poly-Sinc-Gauss-XLA > SDM/DSD5v2 256+fs/DSD256*
Hi-res. (2x+) Poly-Sinc-Gauss-XL > SDM/DSD5v2/DSD64*

For all the previous options: Volume Max: - 3db

*Currently limited to DSD256* for red book and DSD64* for hi res due to my Mac mini's lack of processing power (Crossing my fingers for apple releasing a new mini M2 soon)

Cheers

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #17,229 of 19,009
I run Rooncore iMac- usb-

I also have an 430had, it does support dsd256 and pcm 384

What does the Poly-Sinc-Gauss-XLA and XL do?

I only tried Poly-Sinc-Gauss-long and hires-lp togheter. Don’t even know what they do. Total noob, but purchased lisence to:wink:

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #17,230 of 19,009
I run Rooncore iMac- usb-

I also have an 430had, it does support dsd256 and pcm 384

What does the Poly-Sinc-Gauss-XLA and XL do?

I only tried Poly-Sinc-Gauss-long and hires-lp togheter. Don’t even know what they do. Total noob, but purchased lisence to:wink:
I don't want to hijack the thread, feel confident to PM me for any specifics on different equipment. :thumbsup:

Some filters are very similar, and only variate on the length of the filter. Particular use of them depends on personal preference and the qualities of your system, by example Chord DACs use long filters.
XL: Extra long filter (More precise, snapier, longer pre and post ring, high attenuation, can sound a tad sharper than shorter filters depending on the system)
XLA: Extra long Apodizing filter (Same as XL plus apodizing qualities, basically it corrects some errors usually found in some red book files, unnecessary when the upsampled file is Hi Res.)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #17,231 of 19,009
You are never late for the party :beerchug: that party is still in progress. HQplayer has plenty of options, so the best settings can be system dependent.
Can you share a bit more about your signal path and equipment?
Are you using only the TT2 or other DAC capable of doing Direct DSD?
What is the max sample rate that your system can handle ( important for selection of PCM Noise Shapers)?

I have experienced great improvement with HQplayer in my system too, however, that improvement has been boosted every time I upgrade my signal path; the benefits of upsampling sometimes are easily lost if the chain degrades the digital signal, or by using poorly optimized settings.

My signal path is: Mac mini (Roon)(HQplayer)> Ethernet switch> Optobox> iFi NEO stream> SRC DX> TT2
For that chain, my settings are:
Defalut output mode: PCM ( SRC DX can't play DSD also not the best for TT2 )
Adaptive output rate: ON
Source file:
Red book
(1x) Sinc-M > PCM / LNS15 / 705.6-768kHz
Hi res. (2x+) Sinc-L > PCM / LNS15 / 705.6-768kHz

For the internal DAC of the iFi NEO S. ( Direct DSD capable):
Default output mode: SDM
Adaptive output rate: OFF
DSD source settings: Direct SDM
Source file:
Red book
(1x) Poly-Sinc-Gauss-XLA > SDM/DSD5v2 256+fs/DSD256*
Hi-res. (2x+) Poly-Sinc-Gauss-XL > SDM/DSD5v2/DSD64*

For all the previous options: Volume Max: - 3db

*Currently limited to DSD256* for red book and DSD64* for hi res due to my Mac mini's lack of processing power (Crossing my fingers for apple releasing a new mini M2 soon)

Cheers
Jeez Thats heavy going, Must do ya head in sorting all that out. Might be a daft comment but cant we just enjoy the music and concentrate on that, without fretting over pcm , dsd , sample rate this sample rate that. Most of us dont understand all that anyway....We just know a good tune when we hear one. The same now, as we did when we were teenagers with a cassette deck and 7inch singles.!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #17,232 of 19,009
Jeez Thats heavy going, Must do ya head in sorting all that out. Might be a daft comment but cant we just enjoy the music and concentrate on that, without fretting over pcm , dsd , sample rate this sample rate that. Most of us dont understand all that anyway....We just know a good tune when we hear one. The same now, as we did when we were teenagers with a cassette deck and 7inch singles.!!!!!!!
It's a fair point!! But listening to music and being an audiophile are two different hobbies, I like them both but they have two different 'modus operandi'. Both are quite fun, one is definitely more expensive than the other one 🙃

Oct 31, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #17,233 of 19,009
What is the best way to use moon 430had with TT2 for susvara? TT2 as preamp or dac function? For maximum power out.

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #17,234 of 19,009
What is the best way to use moon 430had with TT2 for susvara? TT2 as preamp or dac function? For maximum power out.
I am not very familiar to the 430Had or the Susvara. However, is well known that Susvaras are an icon of power hungry headphones. A "logical" starting point to find your best setup, can be using the balanced outs of the TT2 in DAC mode (5V) to the 430HAD, and see if you can comfortably reach your listening levels in Low or High gain modes of the 430; always leave some headroom for recordings with a high dynamic range. That way, you can avoid dealing with two volume controls; while sound degradation is not a concern (both devices have different, but very good volume control implementations), using only one, tends to be more user friendly. If you need more juice from the 430HAD, surely you can send a hotter signal from your TT2 in amp mode (up to 18W), but keep in mind that it may be "too hot for your amp". I tried to find the "Maximum input signal" in the 430HAD manual but I couldn't find that particular spec. by example my MA8900 is rated at 16V max in it's balanced inputs, but I find it too high anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #17,235 of 19,009
I am not very familiar to the 430Had or the Susvara. However, is well known that Susvaras are an icon of power hungry headphones. A "logical" starting point to find your best setup, can be using the balanced outs of the TT2 in DAC mode (5V) to the 430HAD, and see if you can comfortably reach your listening levels in Low or High gain modes of the 430; always leave some headroom for recordings with a high dynamic range. That way, you can avoid dealing with two volume controls; while sound degradation is not a concern (both devices have different, but very good volume control implementations), using only one, tends to be more user friendly. If you need more juice from the 430HAD, surely you can send a hotter signal from your TT2 in amp mode (up to 18W), but keep in mind that it may be "too hot for your amp". I tried to find the "Maximum input signal" in the 430HAD manual but I couldn't find that particular spec. by example my MA8900 is rated at 16V max in it's balanced inputs, but I find it too high anyway.
I won't dispute that Susvara need some juice.
However, at a recent CanJam , I tried a pair with my own Hugo2 (about 0.7W max.) and they went quite loud for me.
So I reckon one would not need more than 2W for reasonably loud listening.
TT2 can manage that (2W) with a 33 ohm load at headfone jack!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back