Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 24, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #8,761 of 18,898
I have found a slightly odd, but not bad in any way quirk with my TT2 connected to PC, after PC sleep. I found relevant fixes though.

If my PC has been asleep, I might have to sometimes do something to get sound going again.

1. For PC gaming after PC has been asleep.
I usually will not get sound in gaming straight away, if my PC has been asleep, with TT2 on. (PC is connected via USB.) .... My fix is simply to start JRiver and play a second of a track, then quit JRiver. Then I can start gaming.

2. For YouTube. I can not get sound from YouTube straight away if my PC has been asleep, with TT2 connected. It's usually a simple restart the browser though, and YouTube is fine again. That's if the browser was left open while the PC was asleep. If no browser was open while PC was sleep, then no issue starting YouTube next time.

On the odd occasion I have only had to restart my PC, to get sound going again. That might be something else, or just because I had not worked out other fixes.

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #8,762 of 18,898
I have found a slightly odd, but not bad in any way quirk with my TT2 connected to PC, after PC sleep. I found relevant fixes though.

If my PC has been asleep, I might have to sometimes do something to get sound going again.

1. For PC gaming after PC has been asleep.
I usually will not get sound in gaming straight away, if my PC has been asleep, with TT2 on. (PC is connected via USB.) .... My fix is simply to start JRiver and play a second of a track, then quit JRiver. Then I can start gaming.

2. For YouTube. I can not get sound from YouTube straight away if my PC has been asleep, with TT2 connected. It's usually a simple restart the browser though, and YouTube is fine again. That's if the browser was left open while the PC was asleep. If no browser was open while PC was sleep, then no issue starting YouTube next time.

On the odd occasion I have only had to restart my PC, to get sound going again. That might be something else, or just because I had not worked out other fixes.

No issues here with my Windows PC.

Firstly ensure you have installed the Chord driver correctly (no issues within the audio device in device manager), and secondly that you have set the "Chord Async USB 44.1KHz-768KHz" Digital Output driver as the default device within Control Panel -> Sound.

Mar 25, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #8,763 of 18,898
Similar to GreenBow's question, has anyone else seen this?
I have set Windows to 192khz (don't ask why, I just have :) ).
If I turn off TT2 and then turn it back on while a sound source is still active (say, a browser window with netflix is open or a game is running), TT2 will play everything at 44khz. Which means, it plays it back at 1/4 speed - this has given me a heart attack before, sounds really eerie and is very bassy and loud.
The only way to fix it is restart the "source" (browser, game) or to use e.g. tidal to take exclusive control of the device for a second and then try again. It appears as though TT2 "misses" a sort of handshake when that happens and it has to be provoked again to correct this.

This is 100% reproducible and seems to be something to do with the driver (hasnt happened with any other DAC before).
I have also had it happen the other way round, Tidal plays back 44khz, but TT2 is somehow stuck on 88.2 or something and plays back at double speed. That is much rarer though.

Any thoughts? Guess Windows to 44khz is really the only thing i could do, or does anyone have other ideas?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #8,764 of 18,898
Similar to GreenBow's question, has anyone else seen this?
I have set Windows to 192khz (don't ask why, I just have :) ).
If I turn off TT2 and then turn it back on while a sound source is still active (say, a browser window with netflix is open or a game is running), TT2 will play everything at 44khz. Which means, it plays it back at 1/4 speed - this has given me a heart attack before, sounds really eerie and is very bassy and loud.
The only way to fix it is restart the "source" (browser, game) or to use e.g. tidal to take exclusive control of the device for a second and then try again. It appears as though TT2 "misses" a sort of handshake when that happens and it has to be provoked again to correct this.

This is 100% reproducible and seems to be something to do with the driver (hasnt happened with any other DAC before).
I have also had it happen the other way round, Tidal plays back 44khz, but TT2 is somehow stuck on 88.2 or something and plays back at double speed. That is much rarer though.

Any thoughts? Guess Windows to 44khz is really the only thing i could do, or does anyone have other ideas?

I wasn't able to get the speed bug you are describing.

But I did have a similar bitrate problem to yours - When I was using Qobuz or foobar with Wasapi exclusive mode sometimes the bitrate on the TT2 didn't switch correctly.

The song was at 96000hz but the TT2 reverted to 44000hz - I had to switch to a different song and then come back to the first song for this to be fixed.

In my case I have a much more annoying problem:

1. The TT2 will never play on it's own if I just turned it on or didn't use it in the last hour. I have to switch to another sound device and play something for 1 second, And then I can switch back to the TT2 and it will play.

If I don't do that and select the TT2 and start playing I will get an error - If it's in youtube I will get a playback error please try again later. If It's spotify I will get a sorry this song can't be player right now message.

I always have to start playing through a different device first and then switch to the TT2.

In terms of bitrate settings I have in on 32bit 48000 hz.

With any other DAC or sound device I had I never had this problem - You just press play and it plays.

Mar 25, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #8,765 of 18,898
The tidal app is buggy and plays certain hi res slowly -either 24 bit or some higher frequency music.

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #8,767 of 18,898
The chord company sarum T digital super array USB i highly recommend but not a covid 19 purchase but neither is a TT I guess

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #8,768 of 18,898
Supra USB 2.0.
I used to have the Sarum T digital super array USB but sold it when I compared it to the Supra.

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #8,769 of 18,898
The
No issues here with my Windows PC.

Firstly ensure you have installed the Chord driver correctly (no issues within the audio device in device manager), and secondly that you have set the "Chord Async USB 44.1KHz-768KHz" Digital Output driver as the default device within Control Panel -> Sound.

Yeah course I did that.

I found all Chord DACs have quirks though. ...… Like my Hugo 2, when I use JRiver, I have to close JRiver or my PC won't play other sounds. .. With the TT2 I can leave JRiver open, and as long as it is not playing, I can play other PC sounds. Mojo is different again from Hugo 2.

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #8,772 of 18,898
What did you like about the Sarum T that made you switch?

It was the other way around. The cheaper Supra cable sounded the same to my ears so I sold the more expensive cable. This was in the context of my system though and cannot be taken as being the same for other people and other systems.

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #8,773 of 18,898
I have a sarum T thread were triode made his feelings known as others had different outcomes. never tried supra but found improvement from oyaide 5s continental and audio quest diamond

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #8,775 of 18,898
i got a Oyaide NEO d+ USB Class S.

Re: the speed bug: had this with a couple of different cables. and it can be reliably provoked when a process is NOT taking exclusive control (using Tidal for a sec actually fixes it, so it's definitely not Tidal's fault). All i need to do is set the sampling rate of Windows' output settings for this device to 192, start playing a youtube vid, switch tt2 off, switch it on, bam growly death metal.
Doesnt occur if i pause the video before switching tt2 off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back