Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 19, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #8,731 of 18,907
Mar 19, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #8,732 of 18,907
:disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved: My TT2 has gone to a new home.
now your tt2 to dave comparisons will be based only on memory, which we all know is faulty, so tt2 will be better then dave again.

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #8,733 of 18,907
now your tt2 to dave comparisons will be based only on memory, which we all know is faulty, so tt2 will be better then dave again.

Oh no, I didn't think that through did I?!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #8,734 of 18,907
Firstly, yes the TT2 outclasses any know stand-alone headphone SS amp I can think of.

Secondly, DAVE does have a "better" amp, but nowhere near as powerful as the TT2's. See the last part of Robs post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-537#post-15346797; the output stage of DAVE has a Gain bandwidth Product of 500GHz (150dB) vs TT2 20GHz (120dB) both calculated @ 20KHz - more feedback available in DAVE resulting in a lower distortion of 0.000015% as opposed to TT2's 0.00008% which is still beyond reproach though. But, the TT2's output stage is based on a new generation design & overall architecture and is far more powerful... sounds "meatier", "heafty".

Thirdly, if you are going to stretch for a DAVE, my opinion is to go with a TT2 + M-Scaler instead. The sound overall is just better with that combo for a bit cheaper.
I did buy the Hugo TT 2. Down the road I'll add the M-Scaler. Thank you for your input.

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #8,735 of 18,907
Is there and optimal placing for the outboard power brick (far away as possible from TT 2) or does it not matter?

Mar 21, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #8,737 of 18,907
You should wrap it in 3 sheets of tin foil. Not the cheap stuff!
I would but I’ve used the foil for a hat. So aliens can’t read my mind b

Mar 21, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #8,740 of 18,907

Ahahahahahaha

I shouldn't of laughed, but in light of whats going on worldwide, I really needed to.

Stay safe everyone!

Mar 22, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #8,741 of 18,907
Is there and optimal placing for the outboard power brick (far away as possible from TT 2) or does it not matter?
I don't remember reading about any proven/validated distance.
The first step is to be clear why anyone would want to increase the distance:
  1. reduce electrical noise from the power brick, transmitted through the cable - if this is a factor, then increasing the cable length will increase the voltage drop along the cable (both the noise and the power voltage to the TT2)
  2. reduce RFI noise from the power brick, transmitted through the air, then picked up via the TT2 sockets - if this is a factor, then increasing the separation distance will reduce the RFI intensity. If you don't want to use tin foil, then you can place the power brick in a simple faraday cage, and see if it makes any difference
If you are confident that you have a problem in the first place, then don't let audiophile nervosa eat away at you, and convince you that you have a problem.
If instead you are unsure whether you have a problem, but have the audiophile love of experimentation, then one of those simple faraday cages could represent a relatively cheap way to experiment, not only for power bricks but also music servers etc (bearing in mind the posts by @dmance regarding RFI, although I am sure that he would prefer that you bought one of his products instead)

Mar 22, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #8,743 of 18,907
I did buy the Hugo TT 2. Down the road I'll add the M-Scaler. Thank you for your input.

Let us know your thoughts on Qutest vs TT2 after more listening.
I've read reviews that suggest Dave>TT2(90%)>Qutest(70-80%). However, having listened to TT2 and owning Qutest, albeit not in direct A-B situation, and knowing that differences between DAC's are far more subtle compared to differences in transducers (headphones, speakers), I have spend my DAC upgrade money on more headphones (Raal SR1a). :floatsmile:

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #8,744 of 18,907
JL,
Will do. I've probably listened to about the TT 2 for about 10 hours. It is quite impressive. I had the Qutest powered by my Cavalli Liquid Fire and that was smooth and beautiful.
Raal phones? Please let us know those sound. I have to believe they are incredible.

Mar 23, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #8,745 of 18,907
Firstly, yes the TT2 outclasses any know stand-alone headphone SS amp I can think of.

Secondly, DAVE does have a "better" amp, but nowhere near as powerful as the TT2's. See the last part of Robs post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-537#post-15346797; the output stage of DAVE has a Gain bandwidth Product of 500GHz (150dB) vs TT2 20GHz (120dB) both calculated @ 20KHz - more feedback available in DAVE resulting in a lower distortion of 0.000015% as opposed to TT2's 0.00008% which is still beyond reproach though. But, the TT2's output stage is based on a new generation design & overall architecture and is far more powerful... sounds "meatier", "heafty".

Thirdly, if you are going to stretch for a DAVE, my opinion is to go with a TT2 + M-Scaler instead. The sound overall is just better with that combo for a bit cheaper.

The TT2 has a pretty darn good headphone output. With that in mind I do think that it depends on the headphone that you are pairing with it. My Abyss is much better with the Formula S and Powerman combo than from the TT2 output. I also had a chance to listen with my friends Wells Headtrip 2. That amp is simply mind blowing as is its price tag. I am interested to hear the nimbus us4+ as well.

The only draw back to I had during my TT2 ownership was the high pitched noise when the display was on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back