Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 23, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #8,746 of 18,907
The TT2 has a pretty darn good headphone output. With that in mind I do think that it depends on the headphone that you are pairing with it. My Abyss is much better with the Formula S and Powerman combo than from the TT2 output. I also had a chance to listen with my friends Wells Headtrip 2. That amp is simply mind blowing as is its price tag. I am interested to hear the nimbus us4+ as well.
Be aware that the TT₂'s «pretty darn good headphone output» is still in the signal path when you feed the additional electronics components with its signal. So the term «better» for the mentioned external amp must be treated with caution. It's most likely a case of «some people like [added] harmonic distortion» (→ Rob Watts). The more so considering the TT₂'s advanced DX output stage and the supercaps, which should make it hard to beat when it comes to accuracy and dynamics.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #8,747 of 18,907
when the tt2 is in auto-input mode, should it be able to detect between two different optical sources when 1 is playing and the other is not?

i play roon via chromecast audio on one optical input, then i connect my pc directly via a 3 metre optical cable to the other optical cable. When sitting on auto, i play roon, fine it picks it up, but when i stop roon and and then play some youtube for example on the pc, it doesn't pick it up, and i have to change the source input. And then because of the infra-red window issue, it doesn't respond to the remote (as its a few metres away), so i have to manually toggle it. Then later i have to toggle it back.

just wondering if this is the same for everyone.

Mar 23, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #8,749 of 18,907
No clue if the TT 2 benefits from burn-in but I've been letting it run pretty much non-stop.

I didn’t notice any burn in with mine. The only way to tell would be to do an A-B with a used TT2 and one straight out of the box.
I do think I notice an improvement in each listening session after 15-20 minutes, but maybe I am just imagining it.

Mar 23, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #8,750 of 18,907
I didn’t notice any burn in with mine. The only way to tell would be to do an A-B with a used TT2 and one straight out of the box.
I do think I notice an improvement in each listening session after 15-20 minutes, but maybe I am just imagining it
Every other DAC I’ve owned needed about 20 min warmup too.

Mar 23, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #8,751 of 18,907
when the tt2 is in auto-input mode, should it be able to detect between two different optical sources when 1 is playing and the other is not?

i play roon via chromecast audio on one optical input, then i connect my pc directly via a 3 metre optical cable to the other optical cable. When sitting on auto, i play roon, fine it picks it up, but when i stop roon and and then play some youtube for example on the pc, it doesn't pick it up, and i have to change the source input. And then because of the infra-red window issue, it doesn't respond to the remote (as its a few metres away), so i have to manually toggle it. Then later i have to toggle it back.

just wondering if this is the same for everyone.
Does the TT2 have auto input?

Mar 23, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #8,753 of 18,907
I didn’t think it did. Out of curiosity I just checked the manual again and couldn’t find any mention of an auto input feature.
Sorry, I’m in the wrong thread/saying the wrong words, I meant Mscaler input.

Mar 23, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #8,754 of 18,907
The TT2 has a pretty darn good headphone output. With that in mind I do think that it depends on the headphone that you are pairing with it. My Abyss is much better with the Formula S and Powerman combo than from the TT2 output. I also had a chance to listen with my friends Wells Headtrip 2. That amp is simply mind blowing as is its price tag. I am interested to hear the nimbus us4+ as well.

The only draw back to I had during my TT2 ownership was the high pitched noise when the display was on.

Can you explain more on what is actually better with the formula s and powerman?

I had a chance to compare the TT2 to the Abyss stack (formula s, powerman, sagra dac) and the formula s + powerman + dave + mscaler.

If I compare the TT2 to the Abyss stack then in terms of tonality the Abyss stack was more neutral and balanced, The TT2 had more focus on the bass. in terms of detail, fullness, soundstage, separation etc... the Abyss stack was a little bit more detailed with better control on the drivers but it was also harsher.

When I look at my notes it's a small victory to the Abyss stack in terms of detail and tonality but I prefer the TT2 because it's less harsh.

When I switched the sagra dac to the dave + mscaler I did notice a more balanced sound with a fuller, larger, and more detailed sound that was also less harsh. So that was a clear victory to the Dave + mscaler.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #8,755 of 18,907

The only draw back to I had during my TT2 ownership was the high pitched noise when the display was on.

You mean you hear a high pitch noise melded with the audio signal?? That doesn't occur with mine. I do hear a slight high pitch noise when I turn the TT2 on and it charges up... that's about it. I don't even hear a high pitch noise if the display is on when I press the menu button for example.

Regarding the Abyss with the other amps you mentioned, the headphone is a power hungry beast on the same level as the Susvara; the TT2 doesn't deliver enough power from the headamp output to deliver the dynamic drive the others can. But have you ever tried driving the Abyss from the XLR outputs out the back of the TT2? The pre-amp output can deliver 18W into 8 ohm before reaching 1% THD.

I can say though in terms of pure measurement there is no way those amps mentioned, especially the Headtrip 2 outclasses the TT2, not even close. Perception or preference of sound from one amp to another is another thing and fair enough if you prefer the sound of the Abyss with the other amps.

I use a Focal Utopia and HD650 so no complaints regarding amplifier drive capability from the headamp output.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #8,756 of 18,907
I had a chance to compare the TT2 to the Abyss stack (formula s, powerman, sagra dac) and the formula s + powerman + dave + mscaler.

If I compare the TT2 to the Abyss stack then in terms of tonality the Abyss stack was more neutral and balanced, The TT2 had more focus on the bass. in terms of detail, fullness, soundstage, separation etc... the Abyss stack was a little bit more detailed with better control on the drivers but it was also harsher.

When I look at my notes it's a small victory to the Abyss stack in terms of detail and tonality but I prefer the TT2 because it's less harsh.
You were comparing headphone out or XLRs from TT2?

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #8,758 of 18,907
My TT 2 has arrived!

It all started with a Mojo. That was what got me into the hobby. the Hugo 2 came a bit later.

I’d never thought I would have a TT 2. It’s just arrived and it’s blowing my mind already! I’ve listened to it in the past, but only for brief moments. Very happy with the purchase. It will get me through the quarantine. Stay safe, everyone! :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back